• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moostyle

Reaction score
Yea. I imagine an insole could help some people. I did try a few, but they admittedly were not of the leather variety. Insoles I find have positives and negative for slip ons. The instep could fit better but my heel will also be that much closer to sliding out with an insole. Perhaps I will give loafers another try eventually to revisit the 'issue'. It's been a good 3 or so years since I have tried any loafers.

My brannock size is 9.5D. I have tried 9D and 8.5D. I don't think I can go down any further. Additionally, with Rancourt I tried 9D, but those run more TTS so 9D was already a little tight in the toes while being very loose elsewhere.
Ok I see. Well, for what its worth I think Grant Stone have uneven sizing in some of their lasts (Edward is a particular offender), with the toe space being good but the heels being far more voluminous than average vs other brands.

I suggest you look at Carmina instead, they have so many lasts to choose from.

gte872h

Reaction score
Yea. I imagine an insole could help some people. I did try a few, but they admittedly were not of the leather variety. Insoles I find have positives and negative for slip ons. The instep could fit better but my heel will also be that much closer to sliding out with an insole. Perhaps I will give loafers another try eventually to revisit the 'issue'. It's been a good 3 or so years since I have tried any loafers.

My brannock size is 9.5D. I have tried 9D and 8.5D. I don't think I can go down any further. Additionally, with Rancourt I tried 9D, but those run more TTS so 9D was already a little tight in the toes while being very loose elsewhere.
I’d recommend going bespoke if you have the ability? Loafers can be particularly tough to fit.

707Matt

Reaction score
My red wings did that around the same, high friction areas. I think it’s tanning compounds being worked up to the surface of the leather and oxidizing.

If you take a little Venetian on a dry microfiber cloth and rub a little into the blackened areas, the solvents in the cream should take it right off
Do I just rub the Venetian into it and let it sit? I'm still not sure I'm doing this right. I tried that on the left one.
20240128_130923.jpg

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok I see. Well, for what its worth I think Grant Stone have uneven sizing in some of their lasts (Edward is a particular offender), with the toe space being good but the heels being far more voluminous than average vs other brands.

I suggest you look at Carmina instead, they have so many lasts to choose from.
I do find the Leo heel quite roomy, yes. I don't find it a problem with boots due to the lacing and height, but if we were talking about bluchers or longwings on the Leo last I would agree that while they do work there are likely better fits out there.

I will take a look at Carmina sometime. I have looked at their boots in the past but not the loafers.

Aran

Reaction score
Grant stone's first release of their 3E loafers. Size 11EEE, 11EEE Edward for side reference incase anyone is curious.

As for the fit for myself, feeling a little loose heel on my right foot as its my smaller foot. Not sure if that will go away with wear.
3eloaf.jpg

Last edited:

Moostyle

Reaction score
Grant stone's first release of their 3E loafers. Size 11EEE, 11EEE Edward for side reference incase anyone is curious.

As for the fit for myself, feeling a little loose heel on my right foot as its my smaller foot. Not sure if that will go away with wear.
View attachment 2121867
The heel may mould a little, but if its too big its too big and you need to wear thick socks and maybe put a band aid in there at the back to add grip. Grant Stone just have badly shaped lasts for the average foot, because average feet do not have big or thick heels.

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@GrantStone any firm timeline on the next shell pre order for maduro?

End of Feb or March ?
Still no timeline for maduro unfortunately.
The heel may mould a little, but if its too big its too big and you need to wear thick socks and maybe put a band aid in there at the back to add grip. Grant Stone just have badly shaped lasts for the average foot, because average feet do not have big or thick heels.

That's interesting and first time hearing that. In general, our heel bases on D width products are quite average. Of course, a EEE being an extra wide last, the heel is increased as well.

Aran

Reaction score
My feet basically is like a dorito chip, super wide on 2 ends and somewhat narrow on the heel so I'm probably far from the average feet unfortunately. I'm hesitant to go half size down like GS usually suggest as I think I'm going to get width issues with these.

Currently they are mostly comfortable besides the noticable heel slip on one foot. Maybe some pads will help later.

Moostyle

Reaction score
Still no timeline for maduro unfortunately.

That's interesting and first time hearing that. In general, our heel bases on D width products are quite average. Of course, a EEE being an extra wide last, the heel is increased as well.
I have boots from a range of brands in size 11D from Trickers to C&J to Red Wing and beyond and my Grant Stone Edwards feel by far the largest and need the thickest socks. It's a voluminious last, imo.

Last edited:

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally I have a hard time saying anything negative about Grant Stone for the wider heels. May help the lasts accomodate that many more people. I do agree that the heels are probably wider than Trickers, C&J, and Alden (minus Trubalance) in my experience. I do not recall with the differences compared to Red Wing, Truman, White's, etc.

I also do feel that Grant Stone's heels mold nicely over time for what it is worth! So perhaps i could give a pair of loafers several months of wear instead of deciding they're not going to work for me after a few weeks.

basu13

Reaction score
Personally I have a hard time saying anything negative about Grant Stone for the wider heels. May help the lasts accomodate that many more people. I do agree that the heels are probably wider than Trickers, C&J, and Alden (minus Trubalance) in my experience. I do not recall with the differences compared to Red Wing, Truman, White's, etc.

I also do feel that Grant Stone's heels mold nicely over time for what it is worth! So perhaps i could give a pair of loafers several months of wear instead of deciding they're not going to work for me after a few weeks.
Don't know about the other brands but Trumans definitely have more heel volume than corresponding GS sizes. Personally I have never had heel slip/excess heel space in either GS or Trickers, whereas Trumans clearly have more heel volume. I have a thinnish heel and ankle/instep which definitely cannot be termed high volume.

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't know about the other brands but Trumans definitely have more heel volume than corresponding GS sizes. Personally I have never had heel slip/excess heel space in either GS or Trickers, whereas Trumans clearly have more heel volume. I have a thinnish heel and ankle/instep which definitely cannot be termed high volume.
I also do not have any heel slip with Grant Stone. There is definitely a bit of room side to side compared to some other lasts/brands, but I wouldn't say it affects how their boots fit for me. I can see how that aspect might potentially be less ideal for loafers.

Waxed

Reaction score
I have boots from a range of brands in size 11D from Trickers to C&J to Red Wing and beyond and my Grant Stone Edwards feel by far the largest and need the thickest socks. It's a voluminious last, imo.
Might need to lock in that lacing a little more because of the extra eyelet. I have skinny ankles/heel 12D and I wore the hell out of a pair of Edward’s. Everything felt locked in and natural.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KingCaru