• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi grant stone! Do you guys plan to use shell cordovan from another tannery besides Horween? I was browsing this thread and noticed you used Comipel before? Why did you decide to stop using them? Do you find Horween's much better?

Not to speak for Grant Stone, but I think Comipel was as much about availability from Horween at the time as anything. I've seen some of the testing of things like water-spotting/etc. from various shell makers over at /r/gyw, and Comipel did very well. I have a pair of the PTB's from the original test-runs and they've been excellent.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bit of a newbie question on this. When GS says USD 400 to avail the Black Friday offer , is it possible to reach that limit with say 1 pair of Ottawas at 300 USD and 100 USD worth of gift coupons (which are classified as accessories and are available on their website)? Also- anyone aware of what is the validity period on their gift cards ?
I'm not sure, but if not - I recommend picking up a belt and/or shoe care supplies to get you over the line.

basu13

Reaction score
I'm not sure, but if not - I recommend picking up a belt and/or shoe care supplies to get you over the line.

That's pretty much what I plan to do. Probably trees and VSB to push me over the magic number.

@GS - getting quite impatient to hear the official announcement about Black Friday deals ;) Do indulge us!

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, and I wonder if they'll drop the price more on any of the final sale models. Looking to get a pair for my dad but he hates spending money on shoes.

RogerKaputnik

Reaction score
That's pretty much what I plan to do. Probably trees and VSB to push me over the magic number.

@GS - getting quite impatient to hear the official announcement about Black Friday deals ;) Do indulge us!

Medium and large shoes trees currently out. They must want to push the polish out the door ?

hses212

Reaction score
That's what I did last year, boots, trees and VSC. This year I'll probably just buy two pairs of footwear.

For anyone wondering, the Venetian Leather Balm that Grant Stone has is different to the Venetian Shoe Cream in the huge tin. It's a lot thicker and you only need to use a small fraction of the amount. Awesome stuff for dressier shoes. Seems to penetrate better and gives a nicer "glow". Not as nice Saphir Renovateur cream, but it's maybe 1/3 the price. You only need a few drops to do a whole shoe (both balm and renovateur), whereas I literally use a paint brush to apply the VSC from the tin.

basu13

Reaction score
For anyone wondering, the Venetian Leather Balm that Grant Stone has is different to the Venetian Shoe Cream in the huge tin. It's a lot thicker and you only need to use a small fraction of the amount. Awesome stuff for dressier shoes. Seems to penetrate better and gives a nicer "glow". Not as nice Saphir Renovateur cream, but it's maybe 1/3 the price. You only need a few drops to do a whole shoe (both balm and renovateur), whereas I literally use a paint brush to apply the VSC from the tin.
Thanks for the heads up. I did wonder what the difference was between the balm and cream and somehow just assumed that it was probably the same thing.

hses212

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. I did wonder what the difference was between the balm and cream and somehow just assumed that it was probably the same thing.

I thought it was the same as well and was kinda disappointed when I opened the VSC. Still, it's good stuff and you can't beat the price. My tin is 5 years old and I've maybe used a quarter of it. And that includes soaking a pair of suede chukkas with a ton of it (results were okay but not fantastic).

ifticar2

Reaction score

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My first look at both GS chukka's and Storm Kudu! Huge fan. They truly look better in person. And the butyl leather sole has a grippy feel to it.

20211109_135632.jpg
20211109_135701.jpg

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members