• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Going to Savannah

PeterMetro

Reaction score
Hi guys -

I'm headed to Savannah, GA and Hilton Head Island, SC in a couple weeks. I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations on where to go and what to see. Specifcally, I am looking for som real southern BBQ. Not necessarily the most famous BBQ place in Savannah, but I'd rather greasy, picnic table, paper plate, roadside type of place.

Anyone know one?

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
there is only barbeque in north carolina. none in georgia, nor south carolina.

go to concord, salisbury, spencer, any of those three towns (all near charlotte), and ask the guys in the gas station where to get barbeque.

also, keep in mind that western north carolina barbeque is superior to the stuff they serve in eastern NC. totally different style.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ps - the beverage of choice to drink with your BBQ is either iced tea (served sweet by default) or cheerwine.

for dessert, if you're on the go, pick up a moon pie and eat it in the car.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there is only barbeque in north carolina. none in georgia, nor south carolina.
Completely incorrect statement. Â There is some very good barbeque in South Carolina -- I lived there for two years. Hilton Head is basically a golf and tennis (primarily golf) resort. Â Nothing really much to see there. Savannah is the city where the true story that was the basis of the movie "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" took place. Â Go rent the movie -- it might give you some ideas. Here's a blog that describes some barbecue places around Savannah.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
cheerwine?

PeterMetro

Reaction score
Here's a blog that describes some barbecue places around Savannah.
Thanks - this is interesting. It seems the consensus is that Savannah is great for Southern food, but not BBQ. Who knew?

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(faustian bargain @ May 23 2005,02:05) there is only barbeque in north carolina. none in georgia, nor south carolina.
Completely incorrect statement. There is some very good barbeque in South Carolina -- I lived there for two years. Hilton Head is basically a golf and tennis (primarily golf) resort. Nothing really much to see there. Savannah is the city where the true story that was the basis of the movie "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" took place. Go rent the movie -- it might give you some ideas. Here's a blog that describes some barbecue places around Savannah.
i lived in south carolina for 8 years. we went to north carolina to get barbeque.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(globetrotter @ May 23 2005,07:08) cheerwine?
cheerwine is a cherry-flavored cola. it is DEE-lishus.
sorry, I am curious - how does it differ (both in terms of taste and in terms of cultural iconography) with Dr. pepper and/or Mr. Pibb (aren't they more or less cherry flavored cola beverages?

petescolari

Reaction score
If you will be playing golf on HHI, I would suggest playingDaufuskie on the Melrose Course. You have to take a ferry to the island, but the course is the best I have played down there. Great last three or four holes as well. Harbor Town is a ripoff.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by faustian bargain,May 23 2005,13:58
Originally Posted by globetrotter,May 23 2005,07:08
cheerwine?
cheerwine is a cherry-flavored cola. it is DEE-lishus.

sorry, I am curious - how does it differ (both in terms of taste and in terms of cultural iconography) with Dr. pepper and/or Mr. Pibb (aren't they more or less cherry flavored cola beverages?
My local greasy spoon when I lived in South Carolina (which fried foods using lard, not the wussy vegetable oil used by Mickey D's) made its cherry colas by adding several pumps of cherry syrup to a cola. Â Much better than the commercial cherry colas.

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My local greasy spoon when I lived in South Carolina (which fried foods using lard, not the wussy vegetable oil used by Mickey D's) made its cherry colas by adding several pumps of cherry syrup to a cola.  Much better than the commercial cherry colas.
The local burger joint in my hometown made cherry cokes the same way. I miss those cherry cokes.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
cool.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i assume that soda-fountain cherry cokes (made with cherry syrup and coke) pre-date cheerwine.

back when the soda fountains did it, they also made vanilla cokes, which were popular according to my dad.

dr. pepper and mr. pibb taste different from cheerwine - less fruity, if my taste memory serves. also, cheerwine has some red color added. but i don't recall it being cloyingly sweet and fruity.

as far as i know, cheerwine is only available in the southeast US. i could be mistaken. i know we don't have it out here in california.

/andrew

PeterMetro

Reaction score
as far as i know, cheerwine is only available in the southeast US. i could be mistaken. i know we don't have it out here in california.
Here's a map that shows Cheerwine's geographical penetration in the United States. And no, I'm not joking.
territories_v9.gif

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member