• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Foo shops for a Japanese knife

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I am researching Japanese gyutos. I am addicted. Can someone give me the lay of the land? I understand there are high-end manufacturers like Misono and Masamoto. But then, from what I've seen, there are also artisans who hand forge knives one by one, like Hattori KD and Itou. Then, further afield, I'm hearing of American custom makers like Bob Kramer and Devin Thomas that are supposedly even better, though astronomically priced.

What is a suitable OneKnife?

Last edited:

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
i am 90% sure that I'll be picking up a Masamoto VG in the coming weeks. I played around with one in a store and it just feels great in the hand (er, my hand, which is important).

my reserved 10% is due to the fact that I think Masanobu knives are exceedingly beautiful. Different handle type than the Masamoto.

I'll also be picking up an Apex sharpening system, and already have a big sturdy rubber cutting board.

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Have you seen the Hattori KDs? Apparently the waitlist at US retailers is over two years. You have to either get one pre-owned or go to Japan if you want one now.

They even have your Chinese characters--except, even cooler, they are in the archaic style and in red. :)

Last edited:

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You may want to look into these:
Watanabe
Takeda
and
Moritaka

All three offer mto should you want to go crazy with things as custom engraving and/or damascus steel, like this. Maybe they can even engrave a crocodile print :)

All three make lovely stuff though I must admit I dont own a Takeda (yet). My two Watanabe's are great and my much cheaper Moritaka is decent considering its price.
Watanabe's 180mm kurouchi gyuto would be a great oneKnife if you don't mind putting some effort into maintenance.
The Hattoris and many others are available from www.japanesechefsknife.com where I got my kanetsugu petty which I use as a 'beater'.

Last edited:

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Foo, that knife is awesome. I recognize Bob Kramer from my participation in the Knife forum and I believe he makes a spectacular knife.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

i am 90% sure that I'll be picking up a Masamoto VG in the coming weeks. I played around with one in a store and it just feels great in the hand (er, my hand, which is important).

my reserved 10% is due to the fact that I think Masanobu knives are exceedingly beautiful. Different handle type than the Masamoto.

I'll also be picking up an Apex sharpening system, and already have a big sturdy rubber cutting board.

I have a Masamoto VG, have had it for a few years now and enjoy using it. But, of course there are nicer knives out there, that's part of my enjoyment of the Masamoto.

Bob Kramer's knives, though, are marvels. I watched a video where he put a knife through its paces and was amazed.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

I have a Masamoto VG, have had it for a few years now and enjoy using it. But, of course there are nicer knives out there, that's part of my enjoyment of the Masamoto.

I like the fact that it's $170 or so for a 210mm, so quite affordable. Some of the fancy knives out there are indeed beautiful, but utility is most important to me since I'll be using it 4+ days of the week. I'd rather get a slicer as a fancy knife since I'd be using it less frequently and have the Masamoto do all of the grunt work.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Do any of you have experience with Hattori?

Yes, I've tried the ones foo posted above and the FH series. The latter is beautiful, but the shape is not right for the way I use a knife. Toe is too high. The really expensive ones are terribly ugly to me. I dislike the Kramer knives I've tried both on the shape and the ugliness, though they are well made.

Eventually, you can get any knife sharp, but you have to have a shape that works for you, and you have to like how it looks. Some knives will stay sharper than others, but it is more on the margins than anything else. Shape, of course, is both the shape of the edge and the shape of the blade. You need to know first, however, how you cut, because how you cut helps determine the best shape knife for you. Or you can just buy something you like and learn to cut around it, though that is kind of inefficient.

I like the shape of the Masamoto knives more than others, and I seem to split time between the VG and the carbon steel ones, depending on my mood.

To the fellow up there who posted the picture of his knives, look out for your chef's knife. You have left the heel really long and ground too much just forward of it, and it looks like it is going to be unusable soon, as you are going to have a gap on your board between the heel and a coupe of inches forward. You'll get bad accordion cuts.

Also, the better you are with a knife, the bigger knife you can use. The bigger the knife, the more efficient.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm leaning toward 240mm, I don't need Damascus. I admire the craftsmanship in a Kramer knife, but think I would be happier overall with more of a work horse.

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do any of you have experience with Hattori?

Yes, I have the Hattori FH 240mm gyuto, and it is my favorite knife which I use probably 95% of the time.

I hand sharpen on Shapton Glasstones (which I had purchased for woodworking) and just did all my knives last weekend. The KDs are really hard to get, as Mr Hattori is getting up there in age and not making many anymore. Foo, the shape of the Hattori and Kramer almost couldn't be more different. The Kramers have a big belly which are more suitable for rocking motions, whereas on a Hattori I'm usually push-cutting. You will likely have a strong preference for one or the other.

But you're in NYC, have you been down to Korin yet?
http://korin.com/site/home.html
Amazing selection and service! I have a hunch something like a Nenox Corian 240mm might make a good OneKnife:
http://korin.com/Nenox-Corian-Gyutou?sc=27&category=280081

Also the Williams-Sonoma at Columbus Circle has a bunch of high end knives that no other WS store I've seen (B&M or online) carry.

Edit: Ugh, I made the walnut end-grain board myself but didn't realize how dry it was 'til I saw the post. Time for some beeswax and mineral oil.

Last edited:

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I predict that this thread will illustrate, simultaneously, all that can be good about StyleForvm, and all that can be bad about StyleForvm.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tackdriver