• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First corduroy suit, would brown or green be a better choice?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you see both of those suits as beige, then yes your eyes or screen are faulty.

No, I didn't mean the other: that is clearly brown.

This, however, I see not so much as a beige - that was a bad characterization, actually - but as a grey with a very small amount of green in it.

Almost same colour here.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another great combination of green and blue.

Screenshot (512).png

Sirguywhosmiles

Reaction score
Imo, I think that darker browns look too saturated as a suit and it completely overpowers the outfit, as my suspicions were confirmed looking at the grey fox blog post. It appears too visually overwhelming to me. It may also be the looser cut of his suit, but his shirt and tie are drowning in the cord and it creates an imbalance. Maybe a trimmer fit would allow the shirt/tie to come forward better but I think a lighter color would be much more versatile and visually appealing, as a suit.*
I can kind of see what you mean, but I think it is fine with an unusual suit like that one to have the shirt and tie stand out a bit less. For a mid-gray worsted suit you would want either or both to be more interesting.

I think a darker brown is better for jackets and a lighter brown better for trousers. For a suit I'd want it between them but closer to the ideal jacket shade.
I think the gray fox suit might limit your choice of shoe to the darker shades of brown; that would put me off it more than worrying about the shirt and tie.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The jacket is actually quite a great look for an academic or country/rustic look. Or just because it looks really good.

Peter O'Toole agrees:

R.b1613301e26f0cea0601e880f556c6f1

And Arnold Schwarzenegger:

R.40570ad875bce92fe16bdf9f4a32b784

The biggest concern I have here is only that the green is often out of place in many men's wardrobes due to the dominance of blue in menswear. "Green and blue should never be seen without a colour between" is the minimum amount of isolation, and honestly, if green is in the outfit then blue shouldn't and vice versa - except in specified cases (and Black Watch Tartan looks like pajamas, fight me). This is especially troublesome as you cannot pair green with blue shirts, which means you're stuck with white, pale yellow, pale pink, etc.

Brown doesn't pair well with black, but besides that, it's quite versatile.

I've often thought about getting a corduroy suit even if most of the time it would be broken up into separates. As a full suit, I think it would basically take the spot of a fall/winter version of a casual linen suit. I go back and forth between tan and olive for the ideal color where you could easily break the jacket and trousers into useful separates...here are some that I dig

Alex at The Armoury in Olive:

alex.JPG

Robert Redford in tan:

allprezcord-main1.jpg

Oscar Isaac in a mid-brown:

inside.JPG

My favorite picture of a corduroy suit (color unknown), the results of a late 19th century 'snowball fight' among Princeton students:

snowballFOU163.jpg

Last edited:

Sirguywhosmiles

Reaction score
I've often thought about getting a corduroy suit even if most of the time it would be broken up into separates. As a full suit, I think it would basically take the spot of a fall/winter version of a casual linen suit. I go back and forth between tan and olive for the ideal color where you could easily break the jacket and trousers into useful separates...here are some that I dig

Alex at The Armoury in Olive:

View attachment 1988547

Robert Redford in tan:

View attachment 1988557

Oscar Isaac in a mid-brown:

View attachment 1988565

My favorite picture of a corduroy suit (color unknown), the results of a late 19th century 'snowball fight' among Princeton students:

View attachment 1988545
Almost exactly what i was thinking, except I prefer a darker brown than tan. Agree that a cord suit would be a seasonal alternative to linen, but I think linen is not as easy to break up. Corduroy suits seem easier to wear than tweed, and linen suits are more interesting than chino-like cotton suits.
I like that armory olive, but I love that princeton picture. The young rich at play, huh?😂

gimpwiz

Reaction score
Minor off-topic veering: Do you think a light (sand, etc) linen suit is hard to break up? I thought it would be easy enough but I don't own one and have not tried.

Sirguywhosmiles

Reaction score
Minor off-topic veering: Do you think a light (sand, etc) linen suit is hard to break up? I thought it would be easy enough but I don't own one and have not tried.
I had one years ago, I thought at the time the jacket looked good with jeans if it was sunny/bright but not too hot. Looking at pictures from then now the overall look was a bit too Jeremy Clarkson.

I am sure some of the more advanced dressers here hav done it succesfully. Maybe with white jeans, or brown lightweight wool?
The trousers would look good I think with a lightweight navy jacket.

Attachments

• JC beige jacket.jpg
    JC beige jacket.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 100

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have the DWW summer tweed (silk-linen mix) and I break it up with a pair of grey LP WSL 'summertime' trousers, which has the same kind of pseduo-slubby effect

I think the combo works fairly well, just a question of balancing the shades/tones of tan and grey

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is...an unusual version of the corduroy suit! Is the dugdale going to be a more conventional suit layout?
I prefer casual jackets over formal. The dugdale will be a full canvas jacket but on the casual side. Similiar to my Maison Hellard linen suit.

Attachments

• IMG_1563.jpeg
    IMG_1563.jpeg
    217 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1566.jpeg
    IMG_1566.jpeg
    249 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1567.jpeg
    IMG_1567.jpeg
    175.5 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_0960.jpeg
    IMG_0960.jpeg
    516.8 KB · Views: 200

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I vote not getting a corduroy suit at all. A jacket, sure. Corduroy trousers, yes. But a suit? No. And I'm not all that sure about a jacket, frankly.
Why not? I can wear mine as separate so what difference does it make? I do that with my linen suits as well!
I’m a more casual and cold environment I think a cord suit works.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member