• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First corduroy suit, would brown or green be a better choice?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then this is a slightly cheaper version. Even more than the other green suits it looks like it would be great at night time but not so good as separates.

Strongly dislike this one. Skinny lapels and slim trousers. My point was that corduroy does not translate well into this kind of silhouette (not that I think it is a good one for any fabric, but it is even worse in corduroy).

Sirguywhosmiles

Reaction score
Strongly dislike this one. Skinny lapels and slim trousers. My point was that corduroy does not translate well into this kind of silhouette (not that I think it is a good one for any fabric, but it is even worse in corduroy).
I take your point, and am inclined to agree. The attraction (aside from the price!) was in the colour as it was styled on the website, I thought the darker green looked good with the charcoal poloneck (turtleneck). I was put off by the narrow wales too, would prefer something that is obviously corduroy, this looks more like moleskin or similar.

Last edited:

SuaveStyle

Reaction score
I have an olive green S&M jacket and matching trousers (IG pic of it shown below). I like the option to wear them together as a casual suit if I want, but they obviously work very well as separates. I plan to grab a nice medium brown, however, with matching trousers. I wear a lot of earth tones so greens and browns would be equally as versatile for me. PC had a beautiful medium brown cashmere blended cloth this last season that I would imagine would be very nice. I’ve included some screenshots of it below in addition to one that was available through the Armoury as additional outfit inspiration.

Attachments

• IMG_2846.jpeg
    IMG_2846.jpeg
    246.9 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_2847.jpeg
    IMG_2847.jpeg
    58.1 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_2856.jpeg
    IMG_2856.jpeg
    64.2 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_2859.jpeg
    IMG_2859.jpeg
    173.1 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_2858.png
    IMG_2858.png
    497.7 KB · Views: 108

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Olive green is a nice and pretty versatile colour. Here the cord suit by Ettore de Cesare for Simon Crompton.

Screenshot (508).png

Also a tobacco brown would be an excellent choice.

The suit made by Pirozzi for Simon Crompton.

Screenshot (509).png

Finally I disagree that blue and green don't combine well: especially when green comes in muted tones, it provides a good match with blue.

B700-320-5003-K900-65_01.jpg

Last edited:

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
200498fd1977b1eb11fb72be9cc561dc.jpg

yep.

Sirguywhosmiles

Reaction score
I have an olive green S&M jacket and matching trousers (IG pic of it shown below). I like the option to wear them together as a casual suit if I want, but they obviously work very well as separates. I plan to grab a nice medium brown, however, with matching trousers. I wear a lot of earth tones so greens and browns would be equally as versatile for me. PC had a beautiful medium brown cashmere blended cloth this last season that I would imagine would be very nice. I’ve included some screenshots of it below in addition to one that was available through the Armoury as additional outfit inspiration.
I think your first picture disproves the "never green and blue" theory.
I was thinking of a darker brown tham the ones you posted- more a chocolate brown. A too-dark brown, on the other hand, limits the shades of shoe it works with.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Olive green is a nice and pretty versatile colour. Here the cord suit by Ettore de Cesare for Simon Crompton.

View attachment 1984483

Also a tobacco brown would be an excellent choice.

The suit made by Pirozzi for Simon Crompton.

View attachment 1984485

Finally I disagree that blue and green don't combine well: especially when green comes in muted tones, it provides a good match with blue.

View attachment 1984487

Is the latter really green? It looks like a beige that has been put next to green at best.

Sirguywhosmiles

Reaction score

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

SuaveStyle

Reaction score
Imo, I think that darker browns look too saturated as a suit and it completely overpowers the outfit, as my suspicions were confirmed looking at the grey fox blog post. It appears too visually overwhelming to me. It may also be the looser cut of his suit, but his shirt and tie are drowning in the cord and it creates an imbalance. Maybe a trimmer fit would allow the shirt/tie to come forward better but I think a lighter color would be much more versatile and visually appealing, as a suit.*

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pablobob