• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@TinMan3,

Market forces!

Amazing how the Outfitters have appreciated over the years. Speaks to the quality of that era & the unique role they fill in a person’s lineup. My 2 are go to bags for fly fishing gear storage & transport, with a smaller #238 for either skiing or camping gear depending on the season. Best of luck!!

I’m not sure I understand the market increase for the Outfitter Series. They were never really hot commodity items in the Filson lineup, often overlooked for their awkward size and heft. I can appreciate the vast amount of bridle and brass each one has, but to me I’d probably opt for a No.248 or No.246 instead; organization without the increased bulk.

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I miss the days when I would get excited about a Filson 40% off Winter sale. They make it hard to buy new vs. pre-owned / vintage / legacy merchandise. Guess that means good business for those in the secondary marketplace.

I nearly bought a recent Filson purchase from the website during the Winter Sale, I opted out when I saw the No Returns/Exchanges notice. I instead picked it up from Moosejaw, which is a Filson authorized dealer, at the same discounted price, with the option for free returns & exchanges. Excited to share my recent scores!!

marinemustang

Reaction score
No, not that one. It's got the backpack straps and a wide mouth opening. I'll snag some pics when I get home.
As promised, here are a few pics of my Washed Canvas Cinch Pack. Great bag!!
20230116_171638.jpg
20230116_171638.jpg
20230116_171650.jpg
20230116_171707.jpg

Bespoke49er

Reaction score
I’m not sure I understand the market increase for the Outfitter Series. They were never really hot commodity items in the Filson lineup, often overlooked for their awkward size and heft. I can appreciate the vast amount of bridle and brass each one has, but to me I’d probably opt for a No.248 or No.246 instead; organization without the increased bulk.
I hear ya OMG! I just wish I had “discovered” Filson when they were part of the line-up & selling new for between $276 & $303 o_O depending on which one of the three you wanted or needed.

From a durability & ruggedness standpoint, the OF 236, 238, & 239 appear to be made of thicker, 22 Oz. twill, but perhaps the No. 246 or No. 248 were/are as well? I don’t own any of those from the Talon or YKK era. The three Outfitters that I own are bomb proof & having the space in the bottom for wet fishing 🎣 boots or wadders comes in handy when you come off an afternoon on the Delta Clearwater and make a beeline to FAI to catch your flight home.

Got my eyes open for a 4th Outfitter if anyone is hoarding a few (dozen?), but current eBay offerings are just too high for my budget so 🤞 on a market correction. 😉

garigo

Reaction score
I need a new gym bag, and finally that gives me a good reason to get a rugged twill duffle. The only question is whether I should go for the small or the medium. I'm sure you guys have thought about this before, any particular reasons I should choose one over the other? Of course nice pictures are always appreciated :)

Pic1.jpeg
Pic2.jpeg

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need a new gym bag, and finally that gives me a good reason to get a rugged twill duffle. The only question is whether I should go for the small or the medium. I'm sure you guys have thought about this before, any particular reasons I should choose one over the other? Of course nice pictures are always appreciated :)

View attachment 1879733 View attachment 1879734
For me, a small would probably be plenty of size. The only way you need bigger is if you need to put bulky items in it like jackets or equipment. Here are my family’s duffles, not sure if it helps for size comparison but my son is 16 months so he doesn’t need too much space ;)

61FF0934-C045-4E46-A837-A31A888B0691.jpeg

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Agreed. Highly unlikely you'd need a medium duffle for gym workouts. Small should be plenty big. May also want to consider the 48 hour bag as that thing just sings...

garigo

Reaction score
For me, a small would probably be plenty of size. The only way you need bigger is if you need to put bulky items in it like jackets or equipment. Here are my family’s duffles, not sure if it helps for size comparison but my son is 16 months so he doesn’t need too much space ;)

View attachment 1879739
Agreed. Highly unlikely you'd need a medium duffle for gym workouts. Small should be plenty big. May also want to consider the 48 hour bag as that thing just sings...
Very helpful, thank you! I have to say though, just based on aesthetic, that there is something about the thick straps and rings of the medium that makes it even more appealing.

TinMan3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very helpful, thank you! I have to say though, just based on aesthetic, that there is something about the thick straps and rings of the medium that makes it even more appealing.
The medium is definitely more versatile. You would be able to use it for more than just a gym bag. Then again, do you want to use a gym bag for anything other than the gym? Lol

garigo

Reaction score
The medium is definitely more versatile. You would be able to use it for more than just a gym bag. Then again, do you want to use a gym bag for anything other than the gym? Lol
I'm sure if it's as good as I expect I will find plenty of occasions to use it ;)

marinemustang

Reaction score

Been on a hiatus from the gym for a few months but when I was going, I used my small which was plenty. The small can easily fit sneakers, water bottle, towel and associated gear. Even when I took my son to the Y, we were able to get all of our pool gear into the small. IMO, small is perfect for this. A medium would be definite overkill for exclusive gym use. I have my small and medium that get decent use. Medium is great for a few overnights. Good luck!

MakingChanges

Reaction score

I‘d find the medium to be too large for a gym bag. I just used mine to pack for an 8 day vacation to give you some context on what you can fit in one of them.

Samgoody

Reaction score
I‘d find the medium to be too large for a gym bag. I just used mine to pack for an 8 day vacation to give you some context on what you can fit in one of them.

I use one of the now-discontinued Grab-n-Go totes for my gym bag and am quite happy with it. It's lightweight, has good exterior pockets for car keys and water bottle, and best of all, the inside is nylon and can be easily wiped down. I'm not sure rugged twill and gym stank is a good combo, but I've never tried it.

Attachments

• m_60035aa8bcdb2ff931a05ed5.jpg
    m_60035aa8bcdb2ff931a05ed5.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 62
  • maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 96

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them