• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

external harddrive

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont get the diff. between the NAS and the seagate models I posted above?? just did a read up on NAS on wiki but still doesnt make sense...

I did check out the run down on the Sonos site and there is only a list of ones that aren't compatible with Sonos, and its a very short list.

Seems alot of Sonos users, use this one:
http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CDYQ8wIwAw#

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A NAS is a standalone storage device that plugs into your network via CAT-5 (ethernet) which then allows all your devices to access the drives on the NAS. NAS will typically allow you to have more than 1 drive (more storage) and have RAID array capabilities (generally used in RAID 1 for redundancy to prevent data loss). Some NAS devices have bit torrent capabilities as well. Most will allow you to access the drive remotely (off network) too.

The external requires you to plug into a computer, or router if it has USB and supports drive sharing, in order for you to access the drive. It is not standalone, has no expandability, no redundancy, and if plugged into a computer/laptop it is a little more difficult to share data across other devices.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I am resurrecting this thread to just say that Drobo's are pieces of sh*t.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
And I want to confirm this. I use OWC thunderbays and they do great, but you must remember that RAID isn't backup. I have 2 drobos that don't get used so during a big desktop rearrangement, I decided to dig one out so that I can put the small mixed sized drives into. I put 4 drives that I had to hand in, and after a couple of reboots/ restarts they were recognized and formatted. Then I found another and put that in too. Machine wouldn't detect them, so I restarted the drobo - still no, a reboot of the computer made all the drives show up 'red' (which isn't good) and after another couple of reboots/ restarts, the drives are finally recognized. I now have 7TB of useable space from 3x 4TB and 2 x 2TB drives running at 2 drive redundacy. So less than half of the actual capacity. I'm not even sure what I'm going to use it for. Time machine doesn't seem to like it. I'll see what speeds it runs at. If it dies or has any problems whatsover (I had inconsistencies and needing to delete volumes and start from scratch again previously, partly why I stopped using it).

Drobo is bankrupt or something like that , and I can certainly understand why. I suggest either a NAS (Synology) or OWC thunderbays if you don't need it attached to the network.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads