• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Espadrille Fit Question

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I hate starting a new thread but I honestly can't find one in SF how espadrilles should fit.

Trying one from Castañer in terms of the recommended size and it's loose (I'm an 8UK/9US for dress shoes so took a 42). My feet seem to be slightly different sizes so the right is ok, but certainly not snug. The left looser.

I read on a few manufacture websites that they should fit pretty snug at first with some give as you wear them. I assumed they should be loose to preserve the louche summer vibe and perhaps even a little aeration (the pair I have are mesh). Thinking I should size down to 41.

Your thoughts based on your experiences?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Size down.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like my espadrilles to fit slightly looser -- not so loose that your heels come completely out when you walk, but IMO some slip is 100% fine with me. I am usually a 7.5UK/8.5US and took a 42.

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Size down.
I like my espadrilles to fit slightly looser -- not so loose that your heels come completely out when you walk, but IMO some slip is 100% fine with me. I am usually a 7.5UK/8.5US and took a 42.

Thanks gents, but shoot, that's two different suggestions! I suppose it's just how one likes them.

@breakaway01 That was what I was thinking. Heels aren't coming out but they are loose. I guess they won't stretch. I guess is a 42 works for you, they should work for me in the "loose sense".

You like it a little floppier? The left on me in 42 feels almost like wearing flip flops but without being that "loose".

@ter1413 You like them snug then?

I guess I would know if I had the 41s on hand to compare. Thanks for the thoughts gents. What colors do you find versatile?

Kohntarkosz

Reaction score
I prefer to size down. I had a pair that was slightly too loose, but no heel slip. I wore them on a trip where I walked around a city for hours, and I basically had rope burn on the bottom of my feet.

I find that the fabric type will stretch a little to eventually make them fit just right, but the suede type (like Manebi sells) won't stretch so much.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks gents, but shoot, that's two different suggestions! I suppose it's just how one likes them.

@breakaway01 That was what I was thinking. Heels aren't coming out but they are loose. I guess they won't stretch. I guess is a 42 works for you, they should work for me in the "loose sense".

You like it a little floppier? The left on me in 42 feels almost like wearing flip flops but without being that "loose".

@ter1413 You like them snug then?

I guess I would know if I had the 41s on hand to compare. Thanks for the thoughts gents. What colors do you find versatile?

I think a little up-down movement is fine; not as much as a flip-flop but IMO it's okay if my heel lifts off the sole as long as that's the only movement going on. I don't have any back-forth or side-to-side movement in my espadrilles; that would be too loose for me.

I have only one pair in an off-white/ecru color. Love them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads