• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shoefan57

Reaction score
Dear E.G. lovers,
I am a loyal Crockett & Jones loyal customer but with their recent price increase, I am consequently reconsidering my pledge to the brand and I am now eyeing Edward Green.
I have a large enough collection of shoes but I am 'missing' a black loafer. I really like their Piccadilly, especially when considering that the grain should provide more suppleness.
I have a few questions:
- for those who own both C&J bench grade and hand grade, did you notice a notable difference in comfort and quality of leather?
- for the owners of the shoe I covet, is the vamp low?
I have many of both makes including Handgrade. Yes, I noticed EGs leather is even better but more importantly the under foot comfort is better.
I agree with the comment about their loafers but have never tried the 137 loafer last. I find EGs 100 last for loafers or their 61 last gives more room than their 184 last but C&J really have cornered the market on very well fitting loafer lasts.

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay boys I need some advice - calling out the 303 owners (@jischwar, anyone else?)

I was bored yesterday and thought I'd pop down to the EG shop. Big mistake. I tried these beauties on:

IMG_1100.JPG

IMG_1107.JPG

Galways on 303E in my size, Ridgeway sole. They fit very very well heel to ball. Comfortable, no excess material, no heel slippage. Which is surprising as I usually need a narrow D width in the same size on 202. Do you see a fit difference usually between 202 and 303 on the same size and width?

The only thing is that the facings do touch on the shaft as you can see in the second photo. Given the fit is so good elsewhere I didn't find this to be an issue when wearing them around the shop. And they are fairly snug around my angle. But I'm thinking later down the line, when they inevitably loosen up, would this become a problem? I think not, as the fit over the instep is quite good and the facings seem sufficiently apart.

My other question is on the Ridgeway sole - do you find it to be too casual and incongruous with this boot make-up? I'd choose R2 if I had to spec this out myself but happy to be persuaded otherwise.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay boys I need some advice - calling out the 303 owners (@jischwar, anyone else?)

I was bored yesterday and thought I'd pop down to the EG shop. Big mistake. I tried these beauties on:

View attachment 2125387
View attachment 2125389

Galways on 303E in my size, Ridgeway sole. They fit very very well heel to ball. Comfortable, no excess material, no heel slippage. Which is surprising as I usually need a narrow D width in the same size on 202.

The only thing is that the facings do touch on the shaft as you can see in the second photo. Given the fit is so good elsewhere I didn't find this to be an issue when wearing them around the shop. And they are fairly snug around my angle. But I'm thinking later down the line, when they inevitably loosen up, would this become a problem? I think not, as the fit over the instep is quite good and the facings seem sufficiently apart.

My other question is on the Ridgeway sole - do you find it to be too casual and incongruous with this boot make-up? I'd choose R2 if I had to spec this out myself but happy to be persuaded otherwise.

I’ll take a stab at this as the owner of what appears to be essentially the same boot but with shearling. However, I am an EG neophyte and want to provide that caveat up front. The only time I am aware that I’m wearing Ridgeway is when I cross my legs or while walking and marveling at how they are the most comfortable sole I own (and I own plenty) by a long shot. When walking or with feet on the floor, there is no difference in the view of the boot from other EG’s I own with rubber soles. While I can’t speak on the facings and potential future fittings I can say confidently that Ridgeway will only make these feel casual to some folks on this site. In the real world of dress, no one will notice. EG’s execution of Ridgeway is (IMO) flawless.

shoefan57

Reaction score

View attachment 2125387
View attachment 2125389

Galways on 303E in my size, Ridgeway sole. They fit very very well heel to ball. Comfortable, no excess material, no heel slippage. Which is surprising as I usually need a narrow D width in the same size on 202. Do you see a fit difference usually between 202 and 303 on the same size and width?

Bit concerned as I’ve got two orders in on 303 last and was assured by the shop that the fit is identical to the 202 last 🥴

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bit concerned as I’ve got two orders in on 303 last and was assured by the shop that the fit is identical to the 202 last 🥴
My feeling is that this won’t be an issue for the bigger sizes. In my experience lately the lasting on the smaller shoes has been done very tightly. In this case it’s beneficial for me, but it certainly wasn’t the case for my 184 Belgravias.

symphvaria

Reaction score

View attachment 2125387
View attachment 2125389

My 303 Newmarkets fit pretty much the same as my 202 Chelseas and my 606 Dovers. It's the loafers that I need to go down a size and up a width in order to avoid heel slippage on.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dear E.G. lovers,
I am a loyal Crockett & Jones loyal customer but with their recent price increase, I am consequently reconsidering my pledge to the brand and I am now eyeing Edward Green.
I have a large enough collection of shoes but I am 'missing' a black loafer. I really like their Piccadilly, especially when considering that the grain should provide more suppleness.
I have a few questions:
- for those who own both C&J bench grade and hand grade, did you notice a notable difference in comfort and quality of leather?
- for the owners of the shoe I covet, is the vamp low?
Did someone say black Piccadilly’s? Here they are on the 184 last.
IMG_7341.jpeg
IMG_7342.jpeg

I’d say the vamp length is medium. Not super high but not as low as say, Alden. Works well with tailored trousers and suits I think but not as well with more casual fits.
IMG_7347.jpeg

Re: quality - EG is a slight step above CJ Handgrade in my experience and definitely better than CJ’s main line.

Satmoche

Reaction score
Did someone say black Piccadilly’s? Here they are on the 184 last.
View attachment 2125425 View attachment 2125427
I’d say the vamp length is medium. Not super high but not as low as say, Alden. Works well with tailored trousers and suits I think but not as well with more casual fits.
View attachment 2125435
Re: quality - EG is a slight step above CJ Handgrade in my experience and definitely better than CJ’s main line.
Thank you all for your advice.

The vamp looks as high as the C&J Cavendish from what I can observe, which is, as you highlighted, a perfect shoe for casual and tailoring. I am considering their black grain in particular, on their 184 last. Your shoes look fantastic @Jmr928 and I am surprised how well black shoes pair with brown trousers, I may just give it a go too.
I will pay a visit to their Jermyn Street boutique, as @Dalaruan advised, and see how they fit.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
X-posted from the DC thread. Hand-sewn resole on Midford 82 oxfords by Aram the Cobbler in Springfield, VA.
View attachment 2125571

Dang those look good. I have kissed a few frogs since I have been in this expensive rabbit-hole but Aram is a true prince. Rarely do you get A+ quality work and service but he never disappoints. I’ve got a pair of Alden’s he should be finishing up.

Congrats. Looking really good!

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dang those look good. I have kissed a few frogs since I have been in this expensive rabbit-hole but Aram is a true prince. Rarely do you get A+ quality work and service but he never disappoints. I’ve got a pair of Alden’s he should be finishing up.

Congrats. Looking really good!
This is the first time I've had EGs resoled and it turned out so well. Aram all the way!

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carwyn