• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

*Edited* Helping a rural Midwestern find his classic style

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I certainly agree, but come back to the question of trouncing around messy fields in such a nice pair of boots (such as the Chelsea boots, or my wingtip Johnston and Murphy's for that matter). It's not that my western style boots are "nice" (they are $175+, very nice quality), but as they are indeed western work boots, I don't mind getting them dirty. I also tend to be very hard on footwear. I suppose I could grab a couple pairs of $100 chelsea boots and just realize that they will last 6 months at a time and not worry too much, but that seems counter-intuitive to what I see with style: quality over quantity.

On the flip side, I see that J&M makes a relatively tough looking boot called the Cardell Gore...perhaps this is indeed the right match?

??

Its better to separate work boots with dress shoes if not for your traveling requirement.

Generally shoes/boots last longer if they are worn on alternate days instead of the same pair daily. Shoe trees prolong their lives as well. But not sure if the above is applicable or achievable when you are traveling.

That J&M has relatively low quality and flattering to be honest with you. RM Williams are very much better. Or Red Wing engineer boots at ~$300 side.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
100% I recommend introducing yourself, and asking for help from a group of men who have the ability to not only advise you on what to wear, but can also hook it up and send it out to you. Many members have improved their style greatly by learning from each other.
approaching as a person who just wants to lift their game? you will be in safe hands. post your needs in the following thread.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/480919/...i-return-to-the-thunderdome/8100#post_8025862

i look forward to seeing your improvements.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

OK, I decided to step into this little by little. Today I went with my polo (my closet is full of Brooks Brothers and Chaps pique polos), with my Ariat square toe boots. I think regardless of what I do "up top", I can retain credibility with my customers, as well as functionality, with a nice set of western-style boots. So, what are your thoughts?
Good look!

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

OK, I decided to step into this little by little. Today I went with my polo (my closet is full of Brooks Brothers and Chaps pique polos), with my Ariat square toe boots. I think regardless of what I do "up top", I can retain credibility with my customers, as well as functionality, with a nice set of western-style boots. So, what are your thoughts?
You look so much better here than in your first two pictures. I don't want you to take this advice too far, but you could clean up this look with slimmer jeans and slightly shorter inseam. You want to keep some room in the leg, and you want some stacking of the cuff on your shoes, but there is a mid-point between these jeans and those that are too skinny.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't know what your budget is for boots, but Loake/Herring provide pretty good bang for your buck. All around 200. Generally much better than J&M.

Loake-Loake%20Winchester-Tan%20suede-8866-4132-1.jpg

Herring-Herring%20Campden-Brown%20Suede-464-434-1.jpg

Loake-Loake%20Mitchum-Brown%20Suede-1003-202-1.jpg

Last edited:

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You look so much better here than in your first two pictures.

I don't want you to take this advice too far, but you could clean up this look with slimmer jeans and slightly shorter inseam. You want to keep some room in the leg, and you want some stacking of the cuff on your shoes, but there is a mid-point between these jeans and those that are too skinny.

IMO his jeans looks fine. He's a big guy, slimmer jeans will throw off the balance and making him look top heavy.

Higher armhole polo shirts or OCBD he could definitely use.

Ryan Holden

Reaction score
I actually brought home some nice slim fit jeans a couple of weeks ago and was nearly laughed out of my house by my wife and 13 year old daughter. I think if I drop some weight, and keep a consistent tailored appearance, I could pull off the slim fit jeans with confidence and won't be such a drastic change for people who know me well. That may be a good time to upgrade some of polos to these "high armpit" affairs you speak of.

I concur that a change in shoes would help this style.

What other slimming layering options are available in place of a blazer or sport jacket.

My goal here is to really own a timeless, signature style.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Given what you have described, I think a pair of 6" Red Wing boot from their Beckman, Iron Ranger, or Round Toe lineup would be practical, looks good with jeans, and just overall more versatile.

Ryan Holden

Reaction score
Thought I'd post a close up of my beloved Ariat Workhog boots. I cleaned them with saddle soap and a nice leather balsam over the weekend.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Keep it up!

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
If you want to upgrade your Watch game? shoot me a PM. I can sort you out with something good. at a fair entry level price. to help you get things on the up and up.

Ryan Holden

Reaction score
If you want to upgrade your Watch game? shoot me a PM. I can sort you out with something good. at a fair entry level price. to help you get things on the up and up.

Thanks for the offer, I will shoot you a PM. I actually picked up that cheapo, but not bad looking Field Watch yesterday. It is my "beater". I am still trying to balance a sophisticated look with durability, and trying to be "of the people". If I come across as overly slick, I can lose credibility with my customers....

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Donaldbaret