• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

*Edited* Helping a rural Midwestern find his classic style

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thanks for the offer, I will shoot you a PM. I actually picked up that cheapo, but not bad looking Field Watch yesterday. It is my "beater". I am still trying to balance a sophisticated look with durability, and trying to be "of the people".[COLOR=FF00AA] If I come across as overly slick, I can lose credibility with my customers....[/COLOR]

This is key. Don't try to go from A to Z overnight.
Gradual change is good. As your clients get used to your look, you can further enhance as needed.

turkoftheplains

Reaction score
Next purchase:

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Traditional-Fit-Button-Down-Collar-Dress-Shirt/001E,default,pd.html

Sales occur twice a year and it's not unusual for someone here to be selling them at a discount.

Ryan Holden

Reaction score
I added 2 nice pieces to my closet today. It has been decided that my signature style is indeed dark jeans with either a button sport shirt or polo, under a blazer or sportcoat. Don't mock the brands, they were REALLY on sale, and the people that know me won't know the difference between Chaps and Ralph Lauren, for example. I will take them to a tailor tomorrow. The first is a light, cotton/linen (I think that is correct terminology?) jacket, and the other, although a very poor photo, is, what I assume, a synthetic attempt at recreating a nice Tweed. The close up picture shows the nice detailing. All in all, I'm very happy.

Thoughts?

Wayward

Reaction score
When building a wardrobe, versatility is crucial. I have doubts about the first. It looks very similar to seersucker, which to me screams summer attire only. Also, being such a light colour, doesn't really make it the most conservative jacket.

The second jacket on the other hand feels much more versatile for all 4 seasons.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

IMO his jeans looks fine.  He's a big guy, slimmer jeans will throw off the balance and making him look top heavy.

Higher armhole polo shirts or OCBD he could definitely use.

It looks like the jeans might be slightly long and slightly wide below the knees, where they are bunching up.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ryan,
An inexpensive seeksucker-ish jacket for really hot weather is OK. On the whole, though, darker colored jackets will be more slimming.
Congrats on your progress so far and on your terrific ability to take criticism and laugh at yourself.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not a terrible combination, but the red in that shirts look too strong for wear with a sport jacket. The clothes should not take attention away from the wearer. The lack of color contrast between the jacket and jeans is also problematic (like a fake suit), though it might look better in real life.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peterpeter2