• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dual Passport Holders

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
So basically, my long ago lawyer was technically correct but in practice, I could keep my Canadian passport?

Macedonia, eh? Had a great friend as a young adult who's parents were imports from there. Was a great guy to party with but became that guy who froze his life at 20, if you know what I mean.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
In addition, there are also some ways to become a US citizen that don't require you to renounce other citizenship, but these are rare. In my case, I became a US citizen automatically when my parents were naturalized; however, because I was under 18, I did not have to take the oath of citizenship and therefore did not have to renounce any other citizenship. So, I am now a dual citizen of the United States and Macedonia.

Ah, ok. This makes sense.

I was born in the US and granted Australian citizenship soon after (my mum's nationality). I was always told I would have to choose when I turned 18, but sometime before that date the US changed the rules to allow me to keep the Australian citizenship. The third one was a more recent addition and is largely honorary and symbolic (I haven't bothered to get that passport).

henrikc

Reaction score
This varies from country to country, if you have a Norwegian citizenship and you get another, you automatically lose the Norwegian one.

red120

Reaction score
Three citizenships, though I only have one on-hand when traveling.. being a dual citizen seems to get increased scrutiny at border security.

AFAIK, the only way to be a dual/triple citizenship and have US citizenship is to be born in the US. Have a friend from Canada who tried to gain US citizenship, and he was told he'd have to renounce other citizenships first.

cold war painter

Reaction score
I have three; I agree that it looks a bit dodgy to be riffling through them in front of immigration officials so I generally just travel on one, whichever one is more convenient for the journey.

A holder for two or more passports would actually be quite helpful for travelling with children. I've never seen one but surely they must exist.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I hold two, I know people who have 3. america lets you have two in very specific cases, but like was mentioned, nobody is checking. if you were to attach your irish and your american in a single case and hand them to a border control officer you'd be fucked. (maybe that is why they don't make cases like that.

Mblova

Reaction score
I hold 2 but that is because I was born in the US. The 2nd one is British.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife holds two: USA and Guatemala. She was born in Guatemala to American parents. She has never had to renounce either and travels freely abroad using both passports.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would like to point out to people who have two and who have never "had to recounce" that they should check the rules and be careful about it. there isn't an office of the government that runs around reminding you that you forgot to renounce your citizenship. on the other hand, your passport is the property of the government and can be taken away at any time, and then it is up to you to prove that you are a citizen.

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am an Australian and British citizen.

I’m also eligible for a US passport, but most of the time they make you forfeit one of your others if you already hold multiple. ZERO chance im giving up one to Australia and one for the whole of the EU

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I need to consult an actual IRL immigration lawyer, I guess. I would like to naturalize but I would not like to give up my Canadian passport.

I am a naturalized US citizen. I continue to have my original passport. The rule is that I must act like a US citizen in the US, act like an EU citizen in the EU and I can claim either in any other country. There is no requirement to give up your passport.

Originally Posted by globetrotter
I hold two, I know people who have 3. america lets you have two in very specific cases, but like was mentioned, nobody is checking. if you were to attach your irish and your american in a single case and hand them to a border control officer you'd be fucked. (maybe that is why they don't make cases like that.

Fucked how? The DHS would take my EU one away, maybe, and then I'd reapply...

on the other hand, your passport is the property of the government and can be taken away at any time, and then it is up to you to prove that you are a citizen
which is why the nice man gave me a Certificate of Naturalization, and gave you a long-form birth certificate.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
on the other hand, your passport is the property of the government and can be taken away at any time, and then it is up to you to prove that you are a citizen.

This is why I avoid Arizona.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alliswell

which is why the nice man gave me a Certificate of Naturalization, and gave you a long-form birth certificate.

there are things that nulify your naturalization, inlcuding lying in any way on the forms that you fill out with naturalization. I don't know what, if anything, is related to your other citizenship on these forms, but people do have their citizanship taken away from them, every now and again.

more commonly, people spend a lot of effort and money fighting with the goverment over their status. I wouldn't want to be involved in either.

BP348

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
So basically, my long ago lawyer was technically correct but in practice, I could keep my Canadian passport?.

I don't know the whole process but I think the whole naturalized citizen is different then people who derive citizenship in other countries through their parents. I think during the oath of naturalization you have to give up all rights to the other country.

Don't know if they would check but would it be worth it to loose your us citizenship just to keep your Canadian passport? I would think that going back and getting a new Canadian passport after the oath might void the oath. But that's a guess.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KingCaru