• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Desperately looking for 100% cotton chinos

Krausewitz

Reaction score
After a long service life (a decade?) my old Banana Republic chinos are about to give up the ghost. I went shopping for replacements and could not find anywhere except for Spier and Mackay that did 100% cotton chinos. Even upscale brands like Cordings and Sunspel still had that bastard elastane in EVERYTHING.

Can anyone help? I’m looking ideally for mid-priced chinos….nothing crazy, but definitely “dressy”, rather than workwear. The thought of spending £120-185 on plastic trousers is just mind-boggling to me….

KOz

Reaction score
Clutch Cafe has some, with most being more workwear oriented:

Natalino sometimes has them too:

KOz

Reaction score
I appreciate that, but the cuts are awful and the prices are obscene. I'd be looking to pay HALF that....
Edited my post to add Natalino. Might be worth contacting them to see if they plan on stocking more chinos.

Krausewitz

Reaction score
Natalino is a good shout! I always forget about them. The price is right (although chinos with turn-ups are utterly naff). Hopefully they'll restock at some point....

KOz

Reaction score
Natalino is a good shout! I always forget about them. The price is right (although chinos with turn-ups are utterly naff). Hopefully they'll restock at some point....
Just received a notification from Natalino that Stone brushed single pleat trousers will be back in stock 1pm UK time - Wednesday 24th April. These have unfinished hems so you can forego the cuffs.

Krausewitz

Reaction score
Posted in thread 'High waisted chinos?'
https://www.styleforum.net/threads/high-waisted-chinos.702742/post-11777777

Post in thread 'Classic, straight, double pleated trousers which don't look pre-war and don't taper like contemporary cuts.'
https://www.styleforum.net/threads/...r-like-contemporary-cuts.754159/post-11775921

I appreciate that, but high-waist and pleats sounds like the worst possible combination for me and my body type (small, lean, V-taper).

Looking for modern cuts in classic fabrics.

Krausewitz

Reaction score
Just curious - how did you arrive at this conclusion?

By trying on high-waisted trousers (they look absolutely ridiculous) and by living through the 1990s. The only people who look good in pleats are people who are very large (in my view).

rjc149

Reaction score
I would recommend Jack Donnelly. Their flagship chinos are 100% cotton, fairly substantial 8.5oz twill, $150 unhemmed. They have 4 different fits, took me a "trial pair" to get my fit dialed down to the M3 which is a higher-rise, semi-slim "Ivy" fit that I think is perfect. Made in the USA, not sure if that matters to you but it's nice to see.

I think these lean casual, also evident in the branding, which is faithful to old-school chinos.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any reason to not grab the S&M chinos? They seem to fit what you're looking for.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads