• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dark Neckties: Theory and Praxis

RatherAnOddball

Reaction score
Hola,

With the possible exception of my pocket square, my necktie is always the lightest/brightest and "busiest" article worn in any ensemble of mine. So, my ties are yellows, oranges, reds, sky blue, bright green - that sort of thing. I always thought that the point of neckties was to direct attention towards one's face and create a slimming vertical; ergo, I reasoned that lighter would always be better.

Yet I often see ties for sale and in photos here that are navy or maroon or other dark colors.

Just wondering what the philosophy is behind the use of darker neckties - when and why do you personally choose a darker one over a lighter one with any given ensemble? Is it simply for the sake of business professionalism, or is there a more fundamental concern of an aesthetic nature, i.e. color/tone theory? What do you think their "visual impression" is in contradistinction to that conveyed by a light necktie?

Just curious. Thanks.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont give it so much thought as you do. Sometimes I reach for a darker tie because that is what looks best with my color scheme that day. I love bright, colorful ties but sometimes things just flow better with a darker one. I really prefer to not pay so much attention to the science of getting dressed. I just like to look at things put them together and stand in front of the mirror. If it looks incredible then I walk out of the door and if it doesnt then I change. I understand that new learners may need strict rules but at this point in my life I think I would be limited by such structure so I just do what I want.

RatherAnOddball

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. It - and not "rules," per se - was the kind of answer I was after. "Flow." Okay. That's a little nebulous, but I think I can get a vague appreciation of what you mean and consider it next time I'm making a selection.

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Darker neckties tend to pull crazier outfits back into subtlety and elegance. I particularly like black and blue solids and knits, they go with almost anything.

Your point on "vertical line" is interesting, I've never considered it that way.

DoubleDomer

Reaction score
More often than not, I pair a darker, more subdued tie with more vibrant shirtings. It balances well, I think, especially with conservative odd jackets and suits.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it depends on the occasion for me, darker = sombre.

TBSDSpaniard

Reaction score
Almost all of my ties were once quite "flashy"....after SF I am starting to understand however, how a tie can bring a certain level of elegance to an ensemble. I still have a few....but I usually pair them on a blank canvas such as a solid white shirt or solid light blue shirt. Now I aspire to mostly collections such as those in the following thread; http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...ight=soporofic

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The eye is drawn to the highest point of contrast, being first a dark tie against a lighter shirt. The vertical line then draws attention to your center and then your face. Wearing a light tie against a dark suit, the eye is drawn away from the face to the jacket.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's easy for a bright tight to become the focus of the entire outfit. I don't find that desirable, preferring for no one element to dominate.
Darker neckties tend to pull crazier outfits back into subtlety and elegance. I particularly like black and blue solids and knits, they go with almost anything.

Your point on "vertical line" is interesting, I've never considered it that way.
+1

instep

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
The eye is drawn to the highest point of contrast, being first a dark tie against a lighter shirt. The vertical line then draws attention to your center and then your face. Wearing a light tie against a dark suit, the eye is drawn away from the face to the jacket.
Thank you for that - I will now start wearing light ties with my dark suits, the better to draw attention away from my face.
smile.gif
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members