• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheaney

Northants bloke

Reaction score
If you are in London, the sample sale sounds a great opportunity. Sample sales might be mostly size 8 - I would check with the company if you are not size 8. I've only tried Loakes in department stores but I'm not sure which range.

Isiah Tongue

Reaction score
I live in Amsterdam but will be travelling to the UK for work this week. I’ve arranged an early arrival for Thursday and am planning to visit the sample sale. I think that sample sale price is good value for cheaney.

I’ve taken a look on Instagram with #cheaney and their leather appears to be inconsistent (loose creasing and uneven burnishing) but at sample sale prices, it’s more value (to my eye)

Isiah Tongue

Reaction score
Thanks for the link. I’m not questioning that leather doesn’t crease. I’m asking why the creasing from the same maker is inconsistent.

3 random instagram pics of cheaney and 3 different creasing patterns. I appreciate that they’re different designs but I would have expected more consistent leather on a brand that charges €400 for shoes.

7AA19239-95DD-4848-B327-DE453B3E1140.jpeg

C1F6A1C1-99B6-4178-9C49-A4D423FC325F.jpeg

100CE023-37E2-4464-AA71-3E218851E8AD.jpeg

Northants bloke

Reaction score
I live in Amsterdam but will be travelling to the UK for work this week. I’ve arranged an early arrival for Thursday and am planning to visit the sample sale. I think that sample sale price is good value for cheaney.

I’ve taken a look on Instagram with #cheaney and their leather appears to be inconsistent (loose creasing and uneven burnishing) but at sample sale prices, it’s more value (to my eye)

I have also seen some uneven burnishing on some examples but I feel Cheaney makes up for it in style and character. Most but not all have proven very comfortable but as with the creases, I would suggest it is as much about fit. I am between sizes. My brown wholecuts are size 9. These brogues in the same (205) last but are tighter at size 8.5 They are also in a grainy leather so despite being a year older, to my mind, don't show the creases nearly as much. Ultimately it is about whether you like it.

IMG_1310.JPG

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would like to point out that Cheaney is not in Northampton. Desborough is 20 miles north. The nearest railway stations are Market Harborough and Kettering without a direct connection to Northampton. Good road connections if you are driving though. Restaurants are often closed on Mondays. I am not aware of any restaurant in walking distance from the factory. There is an average Nepalese/Indian restaurant on the edge of the village. If I go to Cheaney on a Saturday, I am driving I sometimes lunch at The Old Bank (Turkish) in nearby Rothwell http://www.theoldbank-rothwell.co.uk/ . Rothwell is much more attractive than Desborough and also has Italian and Thai food. Market Harborough in the other direction is also a quite an attractive old Market town with a few tea shops. Kettering is larger but run down.

Northampton is more of an industrial city - busy but not especially pretty. The museum and art gallery have a shoe collection, a couple of historic churches and a lively local music scene. The main shopping centre is a bit run down although there are couple of independent menswear shops tucked away. A lot of fast food, chain food pubs and plenty of Indian and Chinese etc. Kettering Road area for John Lobb or Crockett & Jones (only open Fridays and Saturdays) I might go to the Star of India but there are plenty of others. Trickers is close to the town centre and Church's is the other side of the town centre between the railway station and the rugby ground.
Thanks for the info! I might be able to catch the Cheaney sample but I would need a 5.5 (6 is too big) so I'm not too optimistic.

Anyone get Cheaney in 5.5? I typically only see down to 6...

Thanks for the info on Northampton eateries. I was there last year but was in and out before noon. Not looking for crazy fancy but maybe more than a McD. I will check out a couple of spots!

Chowkin

Reaction score
Thanks for the info! I might be able to catch the Cheaney sample but I would need a 5.5 (6 is too big) so I'm not too optimistic.

Anyone get Cheaney in 5.5? I typically only see down to 6...

Thanks for the info on Northampton eateries. I was there last year but was in and out before noon. Not looking for crazy fancy but maybe more than a McD. I will check out a couple of spots!

I bought Cheaney's in size 5 10 years ago at a department store in Hong Kong - I think they specifically ordered them made in smaller sizes to cater to Asians. I also bought a pair of Cheaney's made for Clarks from their factory store by email. That line of Clark's made in England shoes was targeted at the Chinese market.

Lessman

Reaction score
Just been to the sample sale in Brick Lane. For those that are interested there appears to be a reasonable selection of styles and sizes. Prices seem decent too, ranging from £125 - £200. If you purchase 2 pairs you can buy a third for £99 (the cheapest will be £99). Hope this helps somebody. Personally I bought 3 pairs!

Last edited:

Sean_Lim_94

Reaction score
Just been to the sample sale in Brick Lane. For those that are interested there appears to be a reasonable selection of styles and sizes. Prices seem decent too, ranging from £125 - £200. If you purchase 2 pairs you can buy a third for £99 (the cheapest will be £99). Hope this helps somebody. Personally I bought 3 pairs!
PICTURES PLEASE:)

Isiah Tongue

Reaction score
I did manage to pick up a pair of Stour country shoes at the sample sale for £150. Quite the bargain. Will serve me well this winter. Quite pleased with the shoe and price.

I had a good chance to handle multiple shoes and they’re a bit lightweight compared to Trickers and Crockett and Jones. A lot of the shoes were subs/seconds and discontinued lines.

7F617694-BC04-4260-A0F0-8F33B03959BA.jpeg

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find Cheaney shoes quite ugly, but durable. This is subjective, ofc.

Had the couple of styles in the past including the boots and they were a great value when bought as rejects or samples.

Not sure if I would buy any current style at the full retails price, as the Crockett Jones can be bought for the very same or similar amount that looks far more pleasing.

Isiah Tongue

Reaction score
I’d agree with your comments. I found the Cheaney lasts quite “blocky” too. The CJ lasts seemed more elegant to my eye.

I wouldn’t pay full retail for Cheaney but on sale for c€250 they’re a good deal.

Had the couple of styles in the past including the boots and they were a great value when bought as rejects or samples.

Not sure if I would buy any current style at the full retails price, as the Crockett Jones can be bought for the very same or similar amount that looks far more pleasing.

Northants bloke

Reaction score

Each to their own. Nothing against C&J. I have both but tend to prefer Cheaney. You certainly choose Cheaney in solid chunky country styles. You can equally buy Cheaneys in sleeker styles, in particular the 205 (and possibly 11028, 208 and 130) lasts. It's a personal choice but I can't see how they could be described as blocky. They do both and many styles in between.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KingCaru