• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by faustian bargain
any early adopters? http://www.teslamotors.com/index.php?js_enabled=1 250 miles per charge, 0-60 in 4s, body design by lotus.
Wow, incredible. I know the website does not list a price, but any idea as to the general ballpark? Somewhere in the 6-figure range most likely. Edit: I read on another site the first cars will be introduced in the $80K-$120K range.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VersaceMan
Wow, incredible. I know the website does not list a price, but any idea as to the general ballpark? Somewhere in the 6-figure range most likely.

Edit: I read on another site the first cars will be introduced in the $80K-$120K range.

yeah, starting price around 80k. in a year or two they're supposed to come out with a sedan.

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VersaceMan
This is good news - I can't wait to see what the future has in store for cars such as these.

These are Lithium Ion. The same battery technology that powers laptops. I've had many laptops, and used them for work related travel, so I use them off AC often on planes. The batteries last forever, but they don't retain their charge like new after about 6 months. Then its a steady downhill process until about 3 or so years later when you can barely get 30-40% of the original charge on your battery. If you daily drive your car plug-in car, I can't imagine that you'll get close to 250 miles per charge within 1 year.

Plus, its really easy to manage a battery in a laptop. If you want to "refresh" it, you just run it until its dead.. use it unplugged, then plug it in and let it charge until full. Cars need to be ready immediately and batteries won't be able to be managed quite so well. I just can't see these cars being economical. Think about the resale.. yikes.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by briancl
I just can't see these cars being economical. Think about the resale.. yikes.
i can't imagine the early adopters are in it for the resale value. (although as a collector's item, the first year model might be worth something.) according to the wired article, the founder of the company is strategically piggybacking on the battery technology development of the laptop/portables industry. so, as lithium batteries improve, so will these cars. who knows.

Brian SD

Reaction score
From what I've read, the range you want to keep your Li Ion batteries charged to is about 60-80% of its max charge. This keeps its life longer and more consistent. Constantly running it from 100 to 0 is actually not beneficial to the battery's life. So I imagine that averaging normal behavior and that people will probably re-charge it long before it gets to 0%, the battery life will be a bit closer to max than the average cell phone or laptop usage.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
From what I've read, the range you want to keep your Li Ion batteries charged to is about 60-80% of its max charge. This keeps its life longer and more consistent. Constantly running it from 100 to 0 is actually not beneficial to the battery's life. So I imagine that averaging normal behavior and that people will probably re-charge it long before it gets to 0%, the battery life will be a bit closer to max than the average cell phone or laptop usage.

...which would make it ideal for commuters, especially those with plug-ins at the office.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Imagine the tedium involved to fix those electronic devices 30 years after.

I suppose it would be like an abused Citroen DS coupled with a broken down Mercedes 600.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Imagine the tedium involved to fix those electronic devices 30 years after. I suppose it would be like an abused Citroen DS coupled with a broken down Mercedes 600.
or anything with computer-controlled fuel injectors, not to mention all the fancy stuff in the dash these days. but think of it this way: the only moving part in the engine is the rotor.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by faustian bargain
or anything with computer-controlled fuel injectors, not to mention all the fancy stuff in the dash these days.

but think of it this way: the only moving part in the engine is the rotor.

The unfortunate factor of things these days is that they are designed with materials that fuel consumerism. In that they start to degrade and fail within a few years so I doubt most items will have a lifespan of 30 years.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
in the post-apocalyptic nuclear winter, steam engines will be all the rage. also vinyl LPs.

Aureus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Imagine the tedium involved to fix those electronic devices 30 years after.

Imagine the tedium involved to fix those electronic devices found in a Honda civic 30 years from now..... It makes one shudder in horror. IE, it doesn't matter what the car is, the electronics will have gone to hell and it won't be worth salvaging. Today a 30 year old Mercedes is a Classic. in 2036 a 30 year old Mercedes is going to be an electric death trap.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aureus
Imagine the tedium involved to fix those electronic devices found in a Honda civic 30 years from now..... It makes one shudder in horror. IE, it doesn't matter what the car is, the electronics will have gone to hell and it won't be worth salvaging. Today a 30 year old Mercedes is a Classic. in 2036 a 30 year old Mercedes is going to be an electric death trap.
There will be very few future classics.

Aristocrat

Reaction score
Porsche 928 -87(Just mine)
Bentley Continental GT -05(Me and family)
Mercedes CLS500 -06(-"-)

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member