• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black tie Suggestion/Help!

Reaction score
Hey style people!

Im going to a "Black-Tie" wedding in Istanbul december and stuck for outfit ideas!

I have a velvet dinner jacket and black tuxedo trousers / a black suit with a black tie / classic single breasted tuxedo?

Help! which is sartorially correct? regarding the bow tie, does it need to be black? suggestions where to buy something classic?
Shoes? Black leather? Patent?

Sleats

Reaction score
I always think its smarter to wear a black bow tie if your velvet jacket is also black... but as a rule just match it to the jacket or pref the lapels .....if they are a different colour or cloth. But most velvet jackets these days have the same cloth on the lapels

re shoes given that its Istanbul perhaps some patent pumps or Velvet slippers would do the trick.

Reaction score
the thing is my velvet smoking jacket is double breasted ! is that too much? the lapels are a Raw Silk so do you suggest a raw silk bow tie? also where would you recommend to buy a bow tie to match from?
Slippers good call, black velvet again? or patent? I have read patent pumps with the bow on them are the most classic shoe for black tie but not sure please advise? which brands to buy from ? ive seen some from Louboutin in Selfridges but they're too feminine and garish and i hate the red sole!! please help!!

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As this is a wedding (and you've been asked to wear black tie, correct?), and you say you own a single breasted tuxedo, then you should go with that. It's classic, it's restrained, and you can't go wrong. As for accessories, the bow tie should match the facings of the jacket (in other words, the material on the lapels--either satin silk or grosgrain silk). The bow tie must be black. Get a cummerbund, also in black.

As for shoes, my preference is for black patent oxfords. There are a number of online stores that carry them. Classic black patent opera pumps are okay, too. It really is personal preference.

Reaction score
thanks for the advice! sorry to keep going on at this but I have not been to a black tie function for a while and want to be appropriately dressed!

Shoes, I wear Lobb oxfords to work and don't particularly think they're formal enough - I guess I could spend a few hours spit shining them !?

Slippers, thanks "Sleats" i'll check them out- question- do you think they can be worn outdoors? The last looks elegant from the photos, will I need to wear socks with the opera pumps? Any sock brands to head to?

Cumberband - is it worth spending top money on this? i'll only wear this once or twice this year ahead, where to head?

thank you so much here style buddies!!

Sleats

Reaction score
Spit shining the oxfords is definitely a possibility but perhaps I think the idea of slippers/pumps might be more unique esp as the wedding is in ~Istanbul. Its a great opportunity to stand out style wise. There isn't an issue with them being worn outside - I don't imagine the weather will be a problem ?

Cummerbunds - ~I am not a huge fan of. perhaps its all the bad red and green ones I see.......

thanks for the advice! sorry to keep going on at this but I have not been to a black tie function for a while and want to be appropriately dressed!

Shoes, I wear Lobb oxfords to work and don't particularly think they're formal enough - I guess I could spend a few hours spit shining them !?

Slippers, thanks "Sleats" i'll check them out- question- do you think they can be worn outdoors? The last looks elegant from the photos, will I need to wear socks with the opera pumps? Any sock brands to head to?

Cumberband - is it worth spending top money on this? i'll only wear this once or twice this year ahead, where to head?

thank you so much here style buddies!!

Reaction score
Great!
Cumberband- i'll do some voyeuring online and perhaps this weekend, dont want to get something cheap looking.
Bow tie- "sleats" you make them or have some available already made up?
Slippers /Opera Pumps - really drawn to these now, thanks for the tip, the traditional seems to be the patent opera pump but they also have a velvet opera pump which looks very stylish, do you guys suggest to go sockless or with a sock?

Sleats

Reaction score
Yes both on the bowtie we have them in stock and we make them bespoke - as you see fit.

Socks wise you can go with or with out. if its summer and you are going for a slim leg trouser then perhaps with out. If you want to be safer just a pair of black socks will do the job. Just as thin a sock as possible...

Good to see that you are putting lots of thought into it.

Great!
Cumberband- i'll do some voyeuring online and perhaps this weekend, dont want to get something cheap looking.
Bow tie- "sleats" you make them or have some available already made up?
Slippers /Opera Pumps - really drawn to these now, thanks for the tip, the traditional seems to be the patent opera pump but they also have a velvet opera pump which looks very stylish, do you guys suggest to go sockless or with a sock?

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cummerbunds - ~I am not a huge fan of. perhaps its all the bad red and green ones I see.......
@jaylondonsprezz if you want to be properly dressed, you must have a waist covered of some kind. With a single-breasted jacket, that means a cummerbund or a waistcoat. Do not get a red or a green one. Get a black one.

Socks wise you can go with or with out.

@jaylondonsprezz Under no circumstances should you go without socks.

If you're in London, go to Ede & Ravenscroft at the end of Savile Row. They will have everything you need.

Reaction score
Thank you so much Andy !

Socks i'll buy tomorrow- any thoughts on where to buy a cumberband? I dont have a waistcoat unfortunately.

Slippers- do you think the velvet opera pumps from Arthur Sleep will work? or shall i go for the black patent?
Thanks again

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes both on the bowtie we have them in stock and we make them bespoke - as you see fit.

Socks wise you can go with or with out. if its summer and you are going for a slim leg trouser then perhaps with out. If you want to be safer just a pair of black socks will do the job. Just as thin a sock as possible...

Good to see that you are putting lots of thought into it.

I fear you are giving the OP VERY bad advice. He has been asked to attend a wedding where the prescribed attire is "black tie". This actually means something and deviations from the standards are usually to the detriment of the outfit. It is also a bit disrespectful to your host to not come in the appropriate dress.

The OP has a traditional tuxedo, that is what he should wear. He should cover his waist, either with an appropriate vest/ waist coat, or a cummerbund. The cummerbund, notwithstanding your disdain, would likely be the better option in Istanbul due to it wearing much cooler. The OP must wear socks, unless he wants to look like a douche bag. Would you go to a job interview without socks? This is a formal (technically semi-formal, but I digress) occasion. Finally, Patent oxfords are more appropriate for this occasion. Opera pumps or slippers, while not technically incorrect would be better suited to the Opera, or an occasion where the OP is the host, perhaps in a club or his home.

To the OP: You can take or leave my advice. However, I would point out that you are to be a guest at the wedding of someone else and they have requested you to dress in a certain fashion. I would err on the side of caution in trying to show your own personality. When you get married or are the host of a black tie event, wear whatever you please, but as a guest I would follow directions so as not to offend, or worse upstage/ embarrass your hots.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much Andy !

Socks i'll buy tomorrow- any thoughts on where to buy a cumberband? I dont have a waistcoat unfortunately.

Slippers- do you think the velvet opera pumps from Arthur Sleep will work? or shall i go for the black patent?
Thanks again
Go to Ede & Ravenscroft. Or New & Lingwood in the Piccadilly Arcade. Actually the are are several stores in the Piccadilly Arcade that will carry the accessories you need.

Go with black patent.

Reaction score
Just a quick one, and sorry its the weekend i know!
Im ordering the patent opera pumps from Arthur Sleep but they two options- Patent Pump with a Flat Bow and Patent Pump with a Pinched Bow, which do you suggest?

I've bought some black silk socks online, they seem to be thin, ill keeo you posted about those..

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fragcon