• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Belgian Loafers?

leapyourbar

Reaction score
Ah so they charge you an extra $100 or so? If so then yes, it's likely just a topy already glued on.

But then recommend wearing the shoes for a while before gluing the topy on so don't take my word for it.

They recommend you walk on them as is for like 20-25 hours before having the topy put on. I dropped a pair off to have the topy redone at the brick and mortar this summer - came out to like, $90 all told. Local guy does just as good a job (honestly, better) for $50, so I'd say just take them home, walk on them for the recommended time, and find someone local. I found the entire ordeal to be a bit of a pain **********, if I'm being honest. I think it was like $30 shipping, although I will say the turn-around-time was awesome.

I wear the Mr. Casual, and I religiously get 15,000 steps a day. Going in for their first, not-so-needed re-topy this winter, albeit it is just because they're so near and dear to me and not so much because it is necessary. Just don't wear them in the rain, and you're fine.

Side note, I love Belgian Shoes so much, but the Henri model (for men) is hideous to my eye, lol.

kylepw

Reaction score
They recommend you walk on them as is for like 20-25 hours before having the topy put on. I dropped a pair off to have the topy redone this summer - came out to $90 all told. Local guy does just as good a job (honestly, better) for $50, so I'd say just take them home, walk on them for the recommended time, and find someone local. I found the entire ordeal to be a bit of a pain **********, if I'm being honest. I think it was like $30 shipping, although I will say the turn-around-time was awesome.
At the moment, it's £35 extra for a Sagan with rubber grip. They have my size in rubber grip but not leather sole. I'd rather go leather at this point, after hearing all the feedback.

leapyourbar

Reaction score
Better find a reputable cobbler to put on topy instead of their stock option
I find the stock option rubber sole expensive and also poor quality, wearing off quite quickly
The one by cobbler lasts much longer and is cheaper, the only downside probs is that is takes a bit longer than getting stock model

Yeah, I agree w/ this. Whoever does their work sucks now, if i'm being honest -- at least compared to the guy I used in Michigan five years ago when I first bought them (who is now out of business because of covid).

leapyourbar

Reaction score
At the moment, it's £35 extra for a Sagan with rubber grip. They have my size in rubber grip but not leather sole. I'd rather go leather at this point, after hearing all the feedback.

I've got no experience with Baudoin and Lange, other than handling them the other day at a local shop here in Michigan. They're OK.

thatboyo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FYI some of the posts are talking about the Mr Casual from Belgian Shoes, not Baudoin Lange. The break in before adding rubber is more for the Mr Casual than Sagan.

I would definitely get the rubber add on to Baudoin Lange Sagans.

side note, just checked Mr Casual prices and you’re looking at 700+ after tax and after applying rubber sole 😡

kylepw

Reaction score
FYI some of the posts are talking about the Mr Casual from Belgian Shoes, not Baudoin Lange. The break in before adding rubber is more for the Mr Casual than Sagan.

I would definitely get the rubber add on to Baudoin Lange Sagans.

side note, just checked Mr Casual prices and you’re looking at 700+ after tax and after applying rubber sole 😡
Yeah, hard pill to swallow. I might try the Belgian Shoes Henri this weekend. Not a fan of the Mr Casual soles.

sargeinaz

Reaction score
Yes. At this price point, I’d never even consider a real pair of Belgians. $625 plus cost of rubber sole is wild.

however, I did order a second pair of amazon Belgians in black. Wore them 3 times already. These fit unfortunately looser in the heel than my brown pair, but hey for $65 and all the compliments I’ve gotten, I can’t complain at all. Two of my friends have also now ordered some off Amazon as well.

TN001

Reaction score
Yeah, I agree w/ this. Whoever does their work sucks now, if i'm being honest -- at least compared to the guy I used in Michigan five years ago when I first bought them (who is now out of business because of covid).

Who were you using? Not Frank’s Shoe Repair?

leapyourbar

Reaction score
Tiger shoe repair in Birmingham. Very sad to see Sebastian go -- he is a wonderful guy. When I brought my first pair to him six or seven years back, I was a bit apprehensive to let him work on them (hadn't used his service before), and he pulled out two pairs of Belgians that he was working on that week, lol. He was super trustworthy, reasonable, and reliable.

The pair I had resoled from the brick and mortar this summer isn't bad, per se, but not nearly as good of a job as I was accustomed to.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wrong thread.

Last edited:

leapyourbar

Reaction score
For my Detroit-heads -- I've started a thread dedicated to Detroit/Michigan classic menswear happenings. Please join the discussion!

leapyourbar

Reaction score
Yeah, hard pill to swallow. I might try the Belgian Shoes Henri this weekend. Not a fan of the Mr Casual soles.

Really? As much as I love Belgian Shoes, I have always found the Henri model to look hideous to my eye...what was the verdict for you?

kylepw

Reaction score
Really? As much as I love Belgian Shoes, I have always found the Henri model to look hideous to my eye...what was the verdict for you?
They were sleek, a little effem. Comfortable af. I love the heel and thin leather sole. Rubber soles on loafers make me think of a grown man trying to "dress up" with brown pleather sneakers. I get the utility aspect, though. But decided to go with B&L Sagan Classic. I think they look better. And better price.
Screen Shot 2023-01-04 at 11.53.34.png

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members