• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BB Saxxon Herringbone Coat

fashionnoob

Reaction score
Can anyone speak to the quality of this BB coat? Can I do better at that pricepoint?

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...ult_color=Grey

Do you think it would be appropriate to wear this coat over just business casual attire in addition to suits ? (ie, sweaters or just OCBDs underneath). The BB website makes it look like the Regent fit is a bit more form fitting-should I go ahead and get a 46 if I wear a 46 in a suit or just go ahead and get a 44? In addition, should I go ahead and get the L size? (I'm 6'2").

Also, does anyone know if BB has a return/rebuy policy when sales come around? I was hoping to buy now (since I need it), and then do a return/rebuy for the 25% discount during the post-Xmas semi-annual sale. Thanks!!

fashionnoob

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone could provide input here. Also, would it be warm enough for a relatively cold winter, or should I go with cashmere instead?

I. Gentantithesis

Reaction score
Did you hover your mouse connected pointy thing over Saxxon? Brooks has a multimillion $ contract with Oz or NZ producers of this 17 micron merino wool which is processed and woven by Loro Piana for Brooks. That partially answers the first question, the remainder one shan't address.

fashionnoob

Reaction score
Originally Posted by I. Gentantithesis
Did you hover your mouse connected pointy thing over Saxxon? Brooks has a multimillion $ contract with Oz or NZ producers of this 17 micron merino wool which is processed and woven by Loro Piana for Brooks. That partially answers the first question, the remainder one shan't address.

Are you implying that it is of reasonably high quality?

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes you can do much better, IMHO, Brooks quality and selection of
classical clothing has declined over the last 15 years or so.

As long as you are looking online you might check out the three
dress overcoats offered by O'Connells :

http://shop.oconnellsclothing.com/outerwear.php

You might also check The Andover Shop by phone
as their online catalog shows no dress coats:

http://www.theandovershop.com/

Also J Press and Paul Stuart are worth looking into although
Stuart is bound to be quite pricey.

Roark

Reaction score
I have that jacket and I think it's fantastic. The model and pictures on the site don't present the jacket very well.

I bought it a size down to wear atop shirts and sweaters at most (no suits). The fit is great, the fabric is wonderful and I like the length. I've gotten compliments from the likes of many people who were surprised that it was a BB purchase.

The comments that BB isn't what it once was are generally true. However, I also think it true that they've gotten much better in recent years; Specifically with their cut and fabric selection.

At that price-point I think you'll almost always find something better and that something better will often cost more. But if you like it... buy it... wear it... enjoy it.

fashionnoob

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roark
I have that jacket and I think it's fantastic. The model and pictures on the site don't present the jacket very well.

I bought it a size down to wear atop shirts and sweaters at most (no suits). The fit is great, the fabric is wonderful and I like the length. I've gotten compliments from the likes of many people who were surprised that it was a BB purchase.

The comments that BB isn't what it once was are generally true. However, I also think it true that they've gotten much better in recent years; Specifically with their cut and fabric selection.

At that price-point I think you'll almost always find something better and that something better will often cost more. But if you like it... buy it... wear it... enjoy it.

Thank you for the thought-out reply, Roark. Do you think that it would be absolutely too bulky to wear with shirts or sweaters only if I buy it in the same size as my suit, or will I still be ok? (I anticipate wearing suits under it, as well. Also, can you speak to it's warmth at all?

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's on sale today for $718 (down from $1198) as part of their one day Christmas sale thing.

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like thrifting, eBaying, or being patient with B&S for a used coat is an extremely viable option to get a quality coat for pennies on the dollar. Just make sure you know your measurements and bring it to the tailor for alterations.

Roark

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fashionnoob
Thank you for the thought-out reply, Roark. Do you think that it would be absolutely too bulky to wear with shirts or sweaters only if I buy it in the same size as my suit, or will I still be ok? (I anticipate wearing suits under it, as well. Also, can you speak to it's warmth at all?

It shouldn't be too bulky... I bought that coat specifically for a very tight form fit. Buy your correct size should be fine. The regent cut on that jacket is very flattering and cuts inward noticeably... should not be bulky.

The jacket is really warm with a very soft hand. I travel up and down the east coast and it has been more than enough thus far. I don't anticipate any warmth issues.

fashionnoob

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roark
It shouldn't be too bulky... I bought that coat specifically for a very tight form fit. Buy your correct size should be fine. The regent cut on that jacket is very flattering and cuts inward noticeably... should not be bulky.

The jacket is really warm with a very soft hand. I travel up and down the east coast and it has been more than enough thus far. I don't anticipate any warmth issues.

Thanks again, sir. Just purchased it with the discount and am looking forward to wearing it.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sauteurs