• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any One for a Scotch?

Suit of Nettles

Reaction score

The other big variable with peated scotches is the iodine/medicinal element. It can be pretty offputting for some people. Ardbeg Corryvrecken is really heavy on that. Talisker is a good example that's less severe.

Laphraoig doesn't have the medicinal element, more straight peat.

Really? It still seems to be there, at least to my mind/tongue. I will admit the triage flavours have seemed ever less prominent since the price spiked on the 10-year old about a decade ago, and even less so in the CS-- though my natural preferences and historical suggestibility may be playing a not-insignificant role here. I was practically weaned on the 10.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Really?  It still seems to be there, at least to my mind/tongue.  I will admit the triage flavours have seemed ever less prominent since the price spiked on the 10-year old about a decade ago, and even less so in the CS-- though my natural preferences and historical suggestibility may be playing a not-insignificant role here.  I was practically weaned on the 10.

Somebody else brought that up. I have a hard time with the language for heavily peated drams. I get a lot more rich peat, smoke, and earthiness from Laphraoig. Something like Ardbeg Corryvrecken reminds me of a hurricane; salt and iodine and seaweed with the peat overlaid on that.

Suit of Nettles

Reaction score
Now that I'll grant: those are certainly more prominent in that Ardbeg, and the earthy character of L10 is often overlooked (overtasted?) in favour of raving about things that more obvious but less characteristic, if that makes sense. There are far 'smokier' and 'peatier' whiskies out there, but nothing evokes smouldering peat quite like it.

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A friend asked for some help with his computer/wifi set up at home, delighted to help.

We had an argument when he thanked me with this. Of course, it would be rude not to accept.

So looking forward to a nip. I can honestly say I always have a HP 15 on the go but have never tried the 12, don't know why.

gopherblue

Reaction score
One of my biggest whisky regrets was not buying a second (or third) bottle of the Highland Park 21 (which was a duty free-only bottling a few years back). Sensational stuff, then they diluted it, raised the price and took it off the market. It's back now, but at almost twice the price.

For Islay or peat/smoke buffs, I recommend Laga 16 (or the CS 12 y.o. special bottlings) for the best balance of peat, smoke and iodine/salt. The Talisker 10 too, for a slightly more rounded dram (or the even better Talisker 18). I do like Ardbeg and Laphroaig, but they tend to have less broad appeal.

Finally, for those of you who want some peat, but don't like the strong peat of Islay or other Island drams, seek out the Longrow CV or Longrow Peated (which I think replaced the CV). Really sensational whiskies from Springbank's sister distillery, but with peat layered on top of that Springbank style. My go-to whisky these days.

Here's a link to my Whiskybase Virtual Collection. My wife has put the kibosh on my buying more whisky...as it is I'm probably good for decades to come at the rate I drink it.

Suit of Nettles

Reaction score
...Longrow CV or Longrow Peated (which I think replaced the CV). Really sensational whiskies from Springbank's sister distillery, but with peat layered on top of that Springbank style. My go-to whisky these days.

Very interesting: must locate. Cheers.

brp2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A bit of the Royal Lochnagar tonight. It really is tasty stuff. I've got to pick up the DE at some point.

MakingChanges

Reaction score
Anybody had the new single barrel Balvenie 15 year sherry. One popped up at a local store, wondering if I should pick it up?

Saltricks

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has a bottle, or has seen a bottle of the Glenmorangie Ealanta around? I know theres a lot of Jim Murray is a shill yadayada going around, but I'm inclined to agree that it is one of the most unique scotches I have had the joy of tasting.

Please tell me if you have a bottle you are willing to part with, or know of where I can procure one. :D

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I was wondering if anyone has a bottle, or has seen a bottle of the Glenmorangie Ealanta around? I know theres a lot of Jim Murray is a shill yadayada going around, but I'm inclined to agree that it is one of the most unique scotches I have had the joy of tasting.

Please tell me if you have a bottle you are willing to part with, or know of where I can procure one. :D

I can procure one, you can send me a PM if you would like.

alpyigit

Reaction score
Of all the above, Oban DE and Dalmore Cigar Malt have been the favorites so far. Have some more in the stock which I will also post the pics soon..

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Some really good choices in that group. If you do not like Laga or Hp right up front, keep them for a while as you may find you like them once you want to deviate from the sweeter scotches into more intense flavors.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
derinmichel