• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olof69

Reaction score
Non AE related-

I am looking into getting a pair of boots to wear when I visit job sites in various stages of completion (I'm in the architecture field now, for those who weren't aware). I do not need them to have steel toes, but I do need them to have a tread because I'll be walking on uneven surfaces. I'd like them to be waterproof. They need to be $200 or less.

I'm looking at Sorel primarily, but have also looked at Thursday. I'm just not familiar enough with Thursday to understand if they'd hold up, and if any of their products will resist weather the way I'm hoping.

1. Any opinions on either brand?
2. Any additional suggestions?

Serious bonus points if I can wear them outside of a worksite environment.

Ashley_S

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife has two pairs of Thursdays -- a pair of Natural CXL lace-ups that I don't think she's ever worn and a pair of olive suede Chelseas that she loves. The Chelseas have become one of her go-tos for our annual NYC trips, so while I don't know how they'd hold up to jobsite wear, they've shrugged off a few years' worth of rain/sleet/snow and are comfortable enough for her to walk around all day. Their new (to me, at least) lug-soled Chelseas might be more suitable though at the same time more difficult to wear outside of work.

It might also be worth looking into Blundstones, as their core models retail for just over $200 and Amazon's pricing algorithms occasionally let them dip lower. No personal experience, but I've heard enough good things that I'm considering picking up a pair for the cooler months.
Thank you. I miss being able to pick your brain on the regular. Hope you're doing well!

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Doing a lot more boat shoes this year.
99A37995-33C8-4092-B957-98699FD31B43.jpeg

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Non AE related-

I am looking into getting a pair of boots to wear when I visit job sites in various stages of completion (I'm in the architecture field now, for those who weren't aware). I do not need them to have steel toes, but I do need them to have a tread because I'll be walking on uneven surfaces. I'd like them to be waterproof. They need to be $200 or less.

I'm looking at Sorel primarily, but have also looked at Thursday. I'm just not familiar enough with Thursday to understand if they'd hold up, and if any of their products will resist weather the way I'm hoping.

While I have no first-hand experience, I've heard great things about Red Wings Shoes. Just checked their website and most of their women's models are around $300 but they have a polyurethane tread sole that I'm sure is much more comfortable than the studded soles on Thursday boots. If you're not into the Moc Toe look, then maybe these aren't the boots for you.
RW03383C_MUL_N1_0420.jpeg

EdwardWilson

Reaction score
I think the shoes look nice. AlallAfter the self-created disappointment of no football grain, I tried to win a bunch of auctions on ebay. I lost at the last second every single time. If any of you recently purchased some 10D Macneils, congratulations. *sigh*

Always bid high on Mac Neils. The shoe that was always on sale is now in high demand on the after market.

Remington Cashmere

Reaction score
Non AE related-

These are very comfortable and seem to be well made

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Non AE related-

Im a commercial HVAC engineer, turned manufacturer’s rep, and soon to be a manufacturer’s engineer trainer…
I’ve had my fair share of time on jobs. Honestly, I just wear my AEs! Only times I don’t are when steel toes are required (nuclear facility) or really awful places like meat plants. I’ve got a pair of steel toed Ariat boots for like $150 from my local work boot store. One time as an engineer intern, I had to walk through some serious mud…it’s sucked one of my loafers right off! I had to retrieve it and hose it down, but still looked good after a cleaning. That said, you’ve met me, I’m a bit ridiculous.
excited for you, and hope you find a boot that is comfortable!

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im a commercial HVAC engineer, turned manufacturer’s rep, and soon to be a manufacturer’s engineer trainer…
I’ve had my fair share of time on jobs. Honestly, I just wear my AEs! Only times I don’t are when steel toes are required (nuclear facility) or really awful places like meat plants. I’ve got a pair of steel toed Ariat boots for like $150 from my local work boot store. One time as an engineer intern, I had to walk through some serious mud…it’s sucked one of my loafers right off! I had to retrieve it and hose it down, but still looked good after a cleaning. That said, you’ve met me, I’m a bit ridiculous.
excited for you, and hope you find a boot that is comfortable!

I've heard of boot-sucking mud, but never loafer-sucking mud.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1814439
Also, the eagle has landed and we are partial.
Those turned out great! That particular “dress sneaker” is the only one of said genre that ever really clicked with me. But I abandoned any plans to acquire same due to fit issues. Dang narrow feet!

And speaking of narrow, A width Randolphs for today
0FAA0033-BF7E-4294-907A-90B7FFBC4546.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics