• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They did do JR on non-Shell for a short time, until someone noticed the Horween stamp on the sole. The only way to do JR soles as an option is to fully get rid of the Genuine Shell Horween stamp.

That may have been me. I mentioned my alligator Chesters had JR soles with the shell label.

B51E1A39-AF27-4C77-81D2-6DDFD6728BDF.jpeg

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of my luck with past trunk shows/MTOs… just unboxed the remade pair of natty Freeports from the fall TS. Guess you could call it “unboxing.”
EA46E064-DBE2-4C5E-9FF0-B95B31885EEA.jpeg

First pair were deemed seconds due to a handful of cosmetic issues. Only to find they had the previously discussed rocking heel issue. A repaired pair came back with the same issue, so I agreed to ship them back again, pay back the difference for first pricing, and have a new pair made.

The color on this new pair are absolutely stunning. So rich. Like well on their way to a deep walnut color. The pics probably don’t do them justice.
7599D95E-3F08-4F7D-8CBD-941FAD4A4030.jpeg

Just wish the right stitching matched the left. Or the left matched the right. Even with that small inconsistency, they look like they are on different lasts.

Know this is minor (especially assuming they fit well) but all things considered, was expecting more.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of my luck with past trunk shows/MTOs… just unboxed the remade pair of natty Freeports from the fall TS. Guess you could call it “unboxing.”
View attachment 1787482
First pair were deemed seconds due to a handful of cosmetic issues. Only to find they had the previously discussed rocking heel issue. A repaired pair came back with the same issue, so I agreed to ship them back again, pay back the difference for first pricing, and have a new pair made.

The color on this new pair are absolutely stunning. So rich. Like well on their way to a deep walnut color. The pics probably don’t do them justice.
View attachment 1787483
Just wish the right stitching matched the left. Or the left matched the right. Even with that small inconsistency, they look like they are on different lasts.

Know this is minor (especially assuming they fit well) but all things considered, was expecting more.

The colour is beautiful on the natural shell here, but I would agree: I'd be annoyed with that inconsistency. That's a lot to handle for a 700 dollar pair of boots.

I would honestly recommend talking with Ashley or someone else and seeing if they can either: Discount your order heavily or make you a new pair of boots.

I'd consider that 2nd quality at best.

Last edited:

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
View attachment 1787482

View attachment 1787483

I am thinking that they do not last as pairs. Maybe one person works on lefts off the rack and another on rights.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am thinking that they do not last as pairs. Maybe one person works on lefts off the rack and another on rights.

That could possibly be the case, as we often see asymmetries with shoes from Allen Edmonds. This is pretty bad, though, as those boots look really, visibly different.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That could possibly be the case, as we often see asymmetries with shoes from Allen Edmonds. This is pretty bad, though, as those boots look really, visibly different.
When I get a TS pair like that, I ask my SA what size upper was used. Luckily on my Dundee’s they used 11.5C upper, because it is a plain toe asymmetrical lasting is not that big of an issue. But if you are two sizes two large on a patterned toe, you could loose some of the pattern below the welt. Just too much leather to play with.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I get a TS pair like that, I ask my SA what size upper was used. Luckily on my Dundee’s they used 11.5C upper, because it is a plain toe asymmetrical lasting is not that big of an issue. But if you are two sizes two large on a patterned toe, you could loose some of the pattern below the welt. Just too much leather to play with.

Yeah, that makes sense. It would also make sense why I've occasionally had some problems with broguing with AEs that was uneven, as I wear 11.5 EEE.

joman8390

Reaction score

does the upper size regularly not match the last size?

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
does the upper size regularly not match the last size?
They don’t make all upper sizes. One size can fit up to 5 different lasts. Sometimes they go farther than that.

munchau

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1787482

View attachment 1787483

I’d say this is more than minor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads