• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biggquis

Reaction score
Accept - embrace - anticipate (as a part of the evolving patina of the shoes).

My Indy boots are wrinkled and have lots of little stuff here and there that have blended to form something with depth that is just fun. If I smack my "regular" calf shoes or my shell, I fret. With CXL, it is "Eh, it'll blend." It is kind of liberating. Also, that worn, vintage look is something I like more and more, which is probably why my "mistake McTavishes" are easily my favorite AE's because of the antiqued look the failed cognac leather has:

Those shoes look great. Did you oil them up?

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Quote:
I turned our friend @peppercorn78 on to some vintage Kudu leather shoes made by Florsheim. They do not fit him well and they are currently listed on B&S. As you can see, these are Kudu antelope leather and not CXL. Size 10.5 EEE if you are interested.

Biggquis

Reaction score
Wow. The Neumok 2.0 is my favorite shoe already. I had a pair of Strands when I started being "active" on the site at the beginning of January I think. I now have some properly fitting Strands in Walnut, Merlot Fifth Aves, Black ATLs (crazy light and comfortable), Gray Strandmoks, Black Neumok 2.0, and some Black Daltons on the way. I just can't pass up the deals I've been getting. I think I'm all blacked out now, and will wait until those Shannon Drives drop below $100 to snatch them up. I figure I can use my Daltons or Fifth Aves for more formal attire, and can focus on more casual shoes.

Other casual shoes I'm eyeing:
Overlords (can't find them in my size :( )
Clark Streets

Any of your casualish favorites I'm missing?

On another note, I was rejected for several weeks by Dabondo on these Neumoks. I think he listed them four times, and I decided to offer even lower this time than what I had previously, thinking he just wants to get rid of them. He accepted.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Biggquis I'm sure @ace13x would agree, no collection is complete without at least 2 mctavish, a big sur, a san Marco, an Aberdeen and a Ridgeway. And I don't ever want to hear you're all blacked out, that's just not possible.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those shoes look great. Did you oil them up?

Nope - I've probably hit these with Saphir Reno once since I've had them. Mainly they get brushed briefly before and after wearing them, and every once in a while get a quick wipe with a damp cloth followed by a thorough brushing. What I think you're seeing is the failed cognac coloring. They are supposed to look like this:

My other pair of McTs - They are both the 4045 Dark Cognac McTavish

Last edited:

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found a boot company that makes some really gorgeous boots out of actual Kudu (as in the horned beast I posted a photo of earlier) leather. I'm not linking to it because I don't want you FBW's to buy them up before I get a chance.
nest.gif

Southwick

Reaction score
Just got the spring catalog. Does Allen Edmonds sell shoes anymore? It looked more like a Charles Trywrwyt catalog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Allen Edmonds is known for having a wide variety of fit options for shoes.
I believe it's a mistake not to carry that same approach to their clothing. The sizes are too limited. Why not have collar sizing and sleeve lengths for the shirts? They don't even offer "tall" sizes.

Don't get me wrong. I agree with you. I guess my point was that there was only one new shoe style introduced for spring, and a reworked deck shoe.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Don't get me wrong. I agree with you. I guess my point was that there was only one new shoe style introduced for spring, and a reworked deck shoe.

It does seem a little disappointing.
I've got two AE sports coats, by the way. They're great.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Y'all are a bunch of weasely influences. I've never considered the Normandy before (originally I didn't like the distressed boot look, then I got the HM and figured another work boot would be redundant- especially considering how little I wear the HM's), but now after all this talk about it being real Kudu, I kind of want a brown one. Thanks for nothing lol.

Last edited:

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Accept - embrace - anticipate (as a part of the evolving patina of the shoes). My Indy boots are wrinkled and have lots of little stuff here and there that have blended to form something with depth that is just fun. If I smack my "regular" calf shoes or my shell, I fret. With CXL, it is "Eh, it'll blend." It is kind of liberating. Also, that worn, vintage look is something I like more and more, which is probably why my "mistake McTavishes" are easily my favorite AE's because of the antiqued look the failed cognac leather has:
My failed cognac McT's look pretty much just like this... have them on today in fact. The color took so poorly that it rubbed off the toe box. I had to strip them down and start over. Not perfect, but better than they looked previously.

Last edited:

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

First time wearing the MacNeils today (MacNeil Monday?). These are friggin heavy with the Dainite: I'm noticing this and was wondering if it's something I should be concerned about. The laces on the right shoe seem kind of wonky: Something I should just ignore? They're firsts (albeit, at the $245 price), but I remember my SA telling me when I was trying to get a decent pair of HM's that AE has consistent issues with bluchers. I'm trying to decide whether or not this is really something that bothers me lol.
It looks like the shoe was incorrectly lasted. The whole pattern is about 5 degrees too far counterclockwise. Personally I wouldn't fret too much. My expensive ass Vass cordovan boots have that issue too :fu:
Quote: I feel like I've always been a fan of British comedies. That all started back in my childhood when the local PBS station would play such things as Dave Allen At Large, Fawlty Towers, and The Two Ronnies prior to airing Dr Who episodes on Sunday night. Then, later on, I also got into Monty Python, The Young Ones and even Alexei Sayle's Stuff though I have yet to find a DVD copy of that. I believe I was turned on to Blackadder by my cousin who was previously stationed in England for the USAF and who also shares my affinity for British comedies. While I cannot claim to have the episodes mentally cataloged as you do, I do find it quite enjoyable and much better than the slapstick stuff Rowan Atkinson did in Mr Bean. For a couple years, I tried to start a tradition of getting together with some family and friends for a Christmas Whiskey Celebration
00ae.png
and, while it lasted, we included watching Blackadder's Christmas Carol in the festivities. Sadly, I didn't continue the blossoming tradition this past year.
I find Blackadder particularly interesting because contains incredibly dense layered comedy based on history and literature laced with occasional fart and sex jokes. I know the first season is usually the most panned of the four, but I swear every time I watch that first episode I pick up new Shakespearean references. And the cast is outrageous. Rowan Atkinson, Hughe Laurie, Tim McInnerny, Miranda Richardson, Tony Robinson, Stephen Fry. Not to mention cameos by Jim Broadbent, Robbie Coltrane, Brian Blessed, etc. it's just the best. Simultaneously incredibly smart and incredibly dumb.
So basically, no one knows if my Overlord's are made of antelope or cowhide? I thought they were antelope because of the imperfections in the leather. It will be interesting to know if these were made from cowhide instead.
While we are on the subject of shoe leather, what is the prevailing thought on just plain old calf leather that AE makes most of its dress shoes from? Certainly there's nothing inherently wrong with other leathers like shell cordovan or CXL, and they bring some very utilitarian properties to footwear. However, I've always thought that as far as the formal dress shoe goes, nothing beats calf leather. There's just something about the care involved with maintaining them that appeals to me. It's kinda like when you see someone wearing patent leather. It's not that there's anything wrong with it, but it just doesn't demonstrate the level of dedication needed to maintain them in top shape. I've never owned a pair of 4 figure shoes, but when you feel the leather you can really tell it's something special and you know it's only going to get better with age. I just don't get that kind of feeling about shell, although I can understand the attraction to it
For dress shoes (oxfords, etc), I much prefer calf. I used to have shell strands and park avenues, but I find the big rolls and lighter creases to be incongruous with dressy. All my cordovan now are casual dress or just casual, like boots, PTBs, chukkas, Longwings. That's where cordovan kicks ass.
Y'all are a bunch of weasely influences. I've never considered the Normandy before (originally I didn't like the distressed boot look, then I got the HM and figured another work boot would be redundant- especially considering how little I wear the HM's), but now after all this talk about it being real Kudu, I kind of want a brown one. Thanks for nothing lol.
They are real, genuine Kudu branded cowhide from Horween. The same stuff Alden sources. Not African antelope. That would look very different. I wouldn't put too much stock in the answers given by the web site CS. Also, the Normandy boot was a huge production rollout. I don't believe there are enough antelope hides in circulation at any one time to meet the manufacturing demands. Not to mention it would be much more expensive. Yes, please see the Florsheim derby posted above for an example of antelope kudu. I don't believe AE is currently sourcing any exotic (non bovine or equine) leathers for regular production shoes.

ULCajun

Reaction score
I'm thinking about using saphir cognac polish on my McT's. Not sure what to use instead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members