• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Adventures in antiquing. Post pictures here.

Souper

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't really have any use for black shoes other than rainy days and interviews. I decided to try out a technique that I've been interested in some time. Anyway, I decided to turn a boring pair of black shoes into antique dark brown shoes with red undertones. I really want a pair I can wear with odd trousers and some dressier jeans. Below are some pics of the process

Here are some Edward Green semi brogue balmorals:
DSC04081.jpg

After I removed the black. took about 4 hours:
DSC04082.jpg

First coat:
DSC04086.jpg

The fun part
DSC04090.jpg

DSC04091.jpg

Painting the tongue
DSC04106.jpg

Stopped for the night...
DSC04114.jpg

I have since touched up some areas, blended them a little better and swiped the entire shoe with deglazer to further blur the antiquing. I still have a bunch more work to do

Going to layer reddish creams tomorrow and maybe touch up some areas with dye depending on how the creams turn out. Then I'll have my shoe shine guy work on them. ill tip him $10 or something and see if he can restore some of the luster.

Just wanted to share. I think I'm pretty happy with these so far, but I really miss the shine though and I can't mirror shine worth a damn. Hope I have enough time during my lunch break!

samurai

Reaction score
Oh, this is good stuff. I've been there too, and at that stage was fighting off panic. But it looks like there's light at the end of the tunnel.

Looking forward to the next set of pix...

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very interesting. And to think that I've passed up some decent shoes while thrifting just because they're black.

Souper

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am pretty much done.
shoeslolz.jpg

The flash really shows antiquing. I have to touch up the areas that are yellowish with a pass of wax polish, but in real life the shoes are pretty much a rich dark oak with a touch of mahogany and very subtle color variation

I learned how to do this from the antiquing threads on this site. Look up ron rider's thread for reference!!

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I like what you're doing but in their present state the dye job looks a bit hack and doesn't do the shoes justice, maybe you would do better using a sponge to avoid that blotchy uneven look, also you could look at how 'genuine' vintage shoes look and mimic the patterns of discoloration. You could even try using a vintage wrinkled leather piece of fabric to apply the dye. I also think you might need to do many layers and steps over a period of days/weeks as wear on shoes is obviously not instant and you will probably find an instant or quick antiquing job ends up looking like you threw your shoes in the oven for 30 minutes to mimic sunburnt leather (i.e: the antiquing is more obvious when rushed)

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey Souper, good effort on the shoes. I posted a long post myself in the original thread. This is hard work and I had to redo the entire process after carefully going over Ron's instructions.

I have a few questions, 1) did you thin out the dye with dye thinner? I used Flebing's dye and their dye thinner when I antiqued my shoes. I was not happy with the dye at first because it was so thick, but after thinning it out it was much easier to work with. 2) Did you conditioner the shoes after every coat of dye? My process was:

1) coat with thinned dye
2) condition with lexol
3) use shoe cream in the desired color

repeat steps 1-3 five to six times (I know Ron does 10-15+ coats on his shoes)

At the very end I used wax polish to get the shine back. I was working in my small apt in the city so I couldn't do more than a few hours at a time because the fumes were building up. I'd love to see a few pics of the shoes in natural light as I know bright flashes ruin the look of many things.

cheers.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member