• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2021 SF Retrospective -or- How did you SF in 2021?

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It'd be easy to fix if you just banned brand specific threads (or moved them to a sponsors subforum) and allowed only generic thread names like DENIM THREAD 2022 or POST YOUR DRESS SHOES 2022. I don't see that happening though as brands pay money to have their sponsor threads on here and money talks at the end of the day.

If the brand sucks, no amount of money or sponsorship will create a lively discussion. If a thread is popular, it is popular because readers like the brand - or hate it a lot and want to complain.

OldTown

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If the brand sucks, no amount of money or sponsorship will create a lively discussion. If a thread is popular, it is popular because readers like the brand - or hate it a lot and want to complain.
You're having discussions across multiple threads on the same general topic rather than having it all in one. Having one general topic ( e.g. SHOES) creates more community and wider discussion. If you enjoy the siloed nature of this place then that's fine but the majority of the posts in this thread are saying it's bad.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It'd be easy to fix if you just banned brand specific threads (or moved them to a sponsors subforum) and allowed only generic thread names like DENIM THREAD 2022 or POST YOUR DRESS SHOES 2022. I don't see that happening though as brands pay money to have their sponsor threads on here and money talks at the end of the day.

You can "ban" threads from your own view by placing the original thread starters on "ignore."

OldTown

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
You can "ban" threads from your own view by placing the original thread starters on "ignore."
How does that solve the problem of separating discussions on the same topic into brand specific threads? :lookaround:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How does that solve the problem of separating discussions on the same topic into brand specific threads? :lookaround:

Oh I see, you still want to read shoe threads. If you don't want to see certain discussions/ threads, I was suggesting that you put the people who started those threads on ignore.

OldTown

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Oh I see, you still want to read shoe threads. If you don't want to see certain discussions/ threads, I was suggesting that you put the people who started those threads on ignore.
I'm just trying to come up with ways to create larger and more discussion rather than having people go into their little threads and never leave. I'd rather be reading a thread with multiple brands popping up that introduces me to new things than waiting on the possibility some unknown to me brand ends up as its own thread one day or pays for the privilege.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm just trying to come up with ways to create larger and more discussion rather than having people go into their little threads and never leave. I'd rather be reading a thread with multiple brands popping up that introduces me to new things than waiting on the possibility some unknown to me brand ends up as its own thread one day or pays for the privilege.

But why would someone who is focused on bespoke shoes, for example, be interested in hearing about AE seconds?

OldTown

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
But why would someone who is focused on bespoke shoes, for example, be interested in hearing about AE seconds?
Notice you used a generic title and then a more specific one. They are essentially two different threads (AE wouldn't fall into a general bespoke shoe thread).

I'm not saying I have all the answers. I'm just saying that the way this place is currently laid out it reads more like an advertisement than a discussion forum.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Notice you used a generic title and then a more specific one. They are essentially two different threads (AE wouldn't fall into a general bespoke shoe thread).

Ok, I will play. Why would someone interested in Edward Green be interested in hearing about AE seconds?

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All argumentation but no solutions from you. Maintain status quo as CM side of this place continues to decline I guess.

Any evidence of the decline? Assuming it is indeed happening, is it possible that we have already exhausted all topics? The one thing that creates lively discussions is when a bespoke merchant takes people's money and doesn't deliver. We haven't had that recently and that may be a factor.

emptym

Reaction score
I agree. I like seeing and reading about all types of shoes (or other things). There was and is a general shoe thread. It was super popular but has steadily declined as the various other threads got started: https://www.styleforum.net/threads/shoe-damage-report-shoe-p0rn-central-part-ii.168002/page-1399

Imo, the existence of many popular threads on particular sub-topics indicates a certain healthiness of the community and discussion. But like the splintering of media, it has led to silos and echo chambers.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rameshdevid