• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DC Haircutters?

fashionnoob

Reaction score
I'm looking for a good, reasonably-priced haircut in DC or Arlington. I have bushy, curly hair and normally like to keep it fairly thick (think Vincent Chase from Entourage). Does anyone have any suggestions for stylists who can do this? Thanks.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, I was thinking of posting something similar... where do the DC folks go to take care of themselves?

Anyway, Bang's Salon on the ground floor of Vida Fitness in the Verizon Center is a great place to go. About $30, but there are tons of 10% or $5 off coupons floating around the internet. Appointment is recommended. I go to the gym there, so it's a convenience thing for me. The atmosphere is worse than an Abercrombie and Fitch though.

Ava Salon on Penn Ave .and 3rd SE on Capitol Hill is really good too. They're cheap at $25, they have every salon service you could need, the atmosphere is relaxing, and they take walk-in's. The price includes a 15 minute scalp massage and beer, wine and cookies while you're waiting and getting your cut.

For cheap, cheap there is a Chinese barbershop on D St. NE between 2nd and 3rd NE across from the Heritage Foundation. It doesn't seem to have a name other than Barbershop, but it's next door to Bubbles (which should be avoided like the plague). They only work on men, they do classic styles, they're quick, walk-in's only, and they give a free hot shave too. $16 flat fee for their hair cuts. Don't expect to be shampooed here either.

The Senate Barbershop is a good old fashioned barbershop, and the salon is attached, so getting additional services isn't an issue either. Anyone can use it and it's in the basement of Russell SOB. They charge around $20-$25.

There are newer places that cater to men with lots of special services. There is Micheal Graig on Penn Ave. and 12th SW, a place on L St NW between 17 and Conn. Ave. and one in Old Town too next to Ben and Jerry's. I just have an issue with paying $50+ for a haircut, just a haircut, so I haven't gone to those places.

auto90403

Reaction score
There's also the House barber shop in the basement of the Rayburn House Office building.

Simple haircut is $14. Since it's Congress, it's probably not the place to go for longer hair and/or anything involving real skill.

But if you're the kind of man who orders his haircuts by number -- "I want a one-and-a-half" -- and then reads the sports pages without paying the barber any attention, the House barber shop is just the place.

And $14 is damned cheap.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Corfu Barber on Eye/I St. Old-style barber. Definitely not a "stylist." Maybe not for you, but I like to give the old guy a shout-out whenever I can.

b

fashionnoob

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your advice!

Joe, I'm going to give Ava Salon a shot. I really appreciate your tip.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fashionnoob
Thank you everyone for your advice!

Joe, I'm going to give Ava Salon a shot. I really appreciate your tip.

No problem. It's on the second and third floors, so you're looking for a door.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads