• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kent Wang Shirt Review

Serg

Reaction score
First of all I really have to apologize to Kent about not getting better pictures. I recently moved into a new apartment and have not been able to find the battery charger for my Dslr. I don’t think that I can adequately show the quality of the shirt without some macro pictures but I will try my best (hopefully I’ll find my battery charger and update this post). Lets start off with the quality of construction. I believe the actual construction on the shirt is equivalent to RLPL. One specific area that appears to be superior to most every shirt I have seen are the buttons. They are quality MOP, the perfect thickness and size (note that I have shirts with thicker buttons and I don’t think it looks better). The fabric is soft and irons easy but I would prefer heavier fabric. Now onto the controversial fit (especially the 16 inch neck size). I measured the neck from the button stitching to the middle of the button hole and measured exactly 16 inches. For comparison a Missoni 15 ½ neck shirt measures 15.25 inches , a T.M Lewin 15 ½ shirt measures 16 inches and a RLPL small measures 15 inches. The shirts biggest fit issue for me is the shoulders. Most shirts have bigger arms so I can get away with an 18 inch seam to seam measurement. In this case I need 19 inches. The size of the shoulders creates a pull on my third and fourth button if the collar is unbuttoned. The second fit issue for me is the length. The final button ends just at my belt. One more button would help the shirt keep its shape. For me the shirt is such a perfect match that I cannot wear it over my jeans because that creates a pull on button. This is okay because I will be wearing this tucked in with suits but I still wanted to show that for those who want otherwise. I hope this review gets more people interested and that Kent will work with everyone to create a signature shirt for the forum. As it stands now the fit is the only thing holding this shirt back from being a hit. Overall Good- -Quality -Price (even at 120 it’s a steal if it fits you) The so-so -Some may prefer a heavier fabric -Some may prefer stiffer collars. Bad – -I firmly believe that the fit will have to be standardized. As is it will not fit the majority of the people. And while the pictures are up how to the APC NS fit me? They are fairly new at the moment.
1777109538_becb2dbb59.jpg
1777110670_77231d690a.jpg
1776264425_0e94523e43.jpg
1777112156_0c97cb5e9d.jpg

Serg

Reaction score
Any comments on fit or are there any specifics area's of the shirt that anyone wants pictures off? Hopefully, I'll find the charger at some point. How about the cuff links? I didn't know what else could match with the shirt.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Serg
The second fit issue for me is the length. The final button ends just at my belt. One more button would help the shirt keep its shape. For me the shirt is such a perfect match that I cannot wear it over my jeans because that creates a pull on button. This is okay because I will be wearing this tucked in with suits but I still wanted to show that for those who want otherwise.
I haven't been following the discussions over these shirts, but based just on the photo it looks to me like it's designed to be worn untucked?

Serg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jared
I haven't been following the discussions over these shirts, but based just on the photo it looks to me like it's designed to be worn untucked?

I believe its designed to wear tucked in.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unbutton the top button if you're gonna wear it that way. It's puckering.
teacha.gif

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Kent Wang slim fit shirts. Thanks for taking the time to do the review, Serg. BTW, you can get those images to show up by deleting the part of the URL past the .jpg part, i.e. remove the "?v=0" part. How tall are you? A new batch of size Small shirts is on its way from the workshop in one week. The neck size has been reduced to 15" and chest increased by 1". These will retail at $95. Size Medium is also in the works. First review sample will be ready in a few weeks and final retail should be ready in two months. The price for Medium (and eventually Large) will be higher because more fabric is used. This is really the most fair pricing scheme. Conventional retailers essentially have their small customers subsidize the big people. As a size Small, I feel this is a great injustice that I am determined to correct.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
He makes shirts now? Where have I been?

Ditto! Pity I'm unable to wear slim fit shirts
colgate.gif

At any rate, good luck with the new venture Kent!

Serg

Reaction score
The cuff link is some Hugo boss vintage thing that i picked up at filenes basement.

Serg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Unbutton the top button if you're gonna wear it that way. It's puckering.
teacha.gif

Ya I won't be wearing it without tie really so it shouldn't matter. It doesn't do that with the collar buttoned for some reason I'm 5'9 Kent. Will you be increasing the length with the new batch? I really do think this one is too short for the final button. Also something I forgot to mention above. wearing a watch with that cuff is pretty hard unless it's very slim.

Countertenor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
A new batch of size Small shirts is on its way from the workshop in one week. The neck size has been reduced to 15".
"Haaaaaaaaaaalelujah! Haaaaaaaaaaalelujah! Halelujah! Halelujah! Hale-eeeeeeeeelujaaaaaaaah!"

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
judging by how short it is, it really seems like it was meant to be worn untucked.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
The price for Medium (and eventually Large) will be higher because more fabric is used. This is really the most fair pricing scheme. Conventional retailers essentially have their small customers subsidize the big people. As a size Small, I feel this is a great injustice that I am determined to correct.

+1

Great idea Kent

Do you or anyone else know of a shirtmaker that prices their RTW shirts like this currently?

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stickonatree
judging by how short it is, it really seems like it was meant to be worn untucked.
That length does not pose a problem for me when tucked in; it does not come untucked. Really, you have the best of both worlds here as it can be worn both tucked or untucked. Also, I don't like to tuck in an excessively long shirt as it is just more unnecessary material stuffed into your trousers.
I'm 5'9 Kent. Will you be increasing the length with the new batch? I really do think this one is too short for the final button. Also something I forgot to mention above. wearing a watch with that cuff is pretty hard unless it's very slim.
I am also 5'9". I may consider increasing the length slightly. Depends on the feedback on this second batch.
wearing a watch with that cuff is pretty hard unless it's very slim.
Yes, but shouldn't one wear a slim watch anyway when wearing French cuff? A thicker sports watch would be more appropriate with a button cuff. I can fit a slim watch in easily:
Originally Posted by rnoldh
Do you or anyone else know of a shirtmaker that prices their RTW shirts like this currently?
No. The oppression and exploitation of the Small for the benefit of the Large is systemic in the status quo.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads