• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GuP

Reaction score
Is it feasible to tailor the crotch of dress pants for a better fit? I would suppose that this would be very difficult as the zipper would get in the way of shortening the crotch for a more snug fit. Thoughts?

southbound35

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GuP
Is it feasible to tailor the crotch of dress pants for a better fit? I would suppose that this would be very difficult as the zipper would get in the way of shortening the crotch for a more snug fit. Thoughts?
It is feasible to tailor the crotch of dress pants for a better fit. It's actually a pretty common alteration. The alteration is typically done at the seam where the front half of the pants meets the back half, so the zipper doesn't really come into play.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've had this done several times. It improves the fit and look, tremendously.

Qasimkhan

Reaction score
My tailor makes suit trousers fit me in the crotch so much better than any RTW trousers that I have ever bought. To me it's the most important difference compared to RTW. I'm wide across the hips, so I think it makes a big difference how he fits the hips as well as the crotch.

If anyone has more specifics, it would be helpful to know what makes the difference.

Steve

SirSuturesALot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the proper term for this type of alteration "shortening the rise"?

zarathustra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SirSuturesALot
Is the proper term for this type of alteration "shortening the rise"?

Shortening the rise requires taking material off the top of the pants... I believe on my various tailor's broads it is referred to "crotch"

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What an intriguing alteration. Tell me, under what conditions does the crotch need to be altered? and what does it accomplish.

GuP

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
What an intriguing alteration. Tell me, under what conditions does the crotch need to be altered? and what does it accomplish.

Well I tried on a suit and it fit good except the pants had a crotch which was too lengthy. I figured maybe I was wearing the pants too low on my hips and not close enough to my navel - but even after raising them up, the crotch was too long. The crotch makes the pants look sloppy and saggy.

Leslierc

Reaction score
Thank goodness that this sounds like it's a fairly common alteration. I generally have to have it done to all of my trousers. In fact, I dropped off 2 pair of trousers at my tailor just yeaterday.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GuP
Well I tried on a suit and it fit good except the pants had a crotch which was too lengthy. I figured maybe I was wearing the pants too low on my hips and not close enough to my navel - but even after raising them up, the crotch was too long. The crotch makes the pants look sloppy and saggy.

This sound exactly like you are shortening the rise.

GuP

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
This sound exactly like you are shortening the rise.
So shortening the rise = shortening the crotch length? ANd how exactly does a tailor go about doing this? Doesn't the zipper get in the way as the zipper on the pants I tried on is fairly long.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
the proper term is "taking in the crotch" or"let out the crotch" these terms your tailor will understand.

if you tell him to "shorten", he will cut off at the top. and that will raise the crotch.
zarathustra is right.

taking in will make the crotch/thigh area snugger horizontal.
lee take note.

dress pants are made to be worn at the waist not the hips.
when worn at the hips, the seat of the pant is dropped down toward the crotch
and thats not where you want all that fullness.

GuP

Reaction score
What is the going rate for taking in the crotch? Does this procedure make the pants look not as good as before with all the tailoring?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads