• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Toe plates in NYC

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where can I buy these in NYC?

toeplatetypes.jpg

johninla

Reaction score
you might try jim's shoe repair on 59th street, or there abouts. it's on the south side of the street, between madison and park.
also, you can get a great shine there. do you know this shop?

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johninla
you might try jim's shoe repair on 59th street, or there abouts. it's on the south side of the street, between madison and park.
also, you can get a great shine there. do you know this shop?

I don't know it, but will call tomorrow to ask. Thanks.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever heard of these being installed by a shoe repair shop. People who get them seem to get them put in by the maker. I would love to be corrected, if I am wrong.

Duveen

Reaction score
Sky Valet in DC installed a pair for me the other day. It seems to be done fairly frequently in Paris - all of the shoe freaks at the shoe stores had shoes with a special kind of topy and toe plates. I asked Marc Guyot about that and he said that his were done aftermarket.

Now that is not to say the avg place can do this - for all I know these guys have a personal line to Dmitri Bottier to do their basic shoe repairs.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Sky Valet, if I recall correctly, is run by a couple of trained shoemakers, no? Their skill level is probably well beyond the average shoe repairer's.

If anyone knows a NYC shop that can do this, please post here. I may try it again. The one time I had this done, I worked in an office building with hard stone floors, 20' ceilings, and hallways as long as football fields. The sound when I walked was like gunfire, echoing up and back the halls. But I wear toes out so quickly, even with rubber, that it may be worth trying again.

well-kept

Reaction score
Shoe Service Plus in NYC does them but be warned - they installed them on two pair of Lobbs for me. One pair came back fine. The second pair was massacred by them in the process. I personally would not use them.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by well-kept
Shoe Service Plus in NYC does them but be warned - they installed them on two pair of Lobbs for me. One pair came back fine. The second pair was massacred by them in the process. I personally would not use them.
I hear conflicting things about them. The one time I used them, the work came back OK but not great. Whereas Jim's has always done a spectacular job for me.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
If I may ask, what is the issue with just having these nailed to the sole?
You have to cut a piece of the sole away, attach someting to protect the welt, and then nail the metal to the backing. And the whole thing has to fit together like a jigwsaw puzzle. At least that is my understanding.

In any case, you don't want it just nailed on top of the sole. That works with relatively soft rubber, but not with metal.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
You have to cut a piece of the sole away, attach someting to protect the welt, and then nail the metal to the backing. And the whole thing has to fit together like a jigwsaw puzzle. At least that is my understanding.

In any case, you don't want it just nailed on top of the sole. That works with relatively soft rubber, but not with metal.

I have metal toe plates nailed to the top of all my soles. They work just fine.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
I have metal toe plates nailed to the top of all my soles. They work just fine.
Never seen that. I would fear that it would catch on things. I guess not, eh?

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, they're fine. Some people say they scratch wood floors, but they've been fine on mine. I'm happy with them, because they are thinner and sturdier than the plastic.

It's a relatively recent thing for me, so I have been adding them to shoes that already have a bit of wear, but from now on I've started putting them on all my new RTW shoes before I wear them.

shoes007largexi4.jpg

shoes001largesh7.jpg

shoes004largeoo4.jpg
[/IMG]

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics