• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

S. Cohen, Jack Victor quality?

mendel

Reaction score
I asked this midthread here, but that was well-hidden enough that I figured I'd try it in its own thread.

Where on the quality and fit spectrum do suits from Montreal-based brands S. Cohen and Jack Victor fall? I understand both are below, say, Samuelsohn or Coppley but I'm not sure by how much.

I have one S. Cohen suit now which is just alright -- a bit too much drape for my tastes -- but I don't know how much of that is the suit and how much is the circumstances under which I got it: a gift, filled by rush special order, with out-of-town fittings, ordered by someone who didn't believe I'd lost weight.
confused.gif

I'm leaving behind the jeans and polos of back-office IT in favor of b-school, and the family business carries those lines, so an opportunity presents itself.

Zegnamtl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mendel
....... Where on the quality and fit spectrum do suits from Montreal-based brands........fall? I understand both are below, say, Samuelsohn or Coppley but I'm not sure by how much........and the family business carries those lines, so an opportunity presents itself.
It is tough for any one person to tell another what is good or bad for them and all fit issues aside, I have visited both factories and watched them make up a suit front to back. Jack Victor is an engineered garment in the sense they have made the best use out of machines where ever possible and the production run is large. They use pretty good fabrics for the dollar value where they price their suits and jackets. It is a fused garment with a machine sewn in canvas chest piece only. I have a few Victor's that I bought as hard wearing suits knowing they would die a quick and nasty death. They have not die just yet and are going well beyond what I expected from them given the abuse I was dishing out to them and they still look really good. I liked Mr. Victor in the very few times I have met him, his son Alan now runs the business, he is a very bright man, Alan has overseen the doubling of the production and a huge expansion in a time when most shops are fleeing for Asia. It is not what I would reach for first to wear to a good friend's wedding or dinner party, but, If you have the chance to get the Victor at a deal, and it is in your price range, go for the Victor and don't bother with the S. Cohen.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I bought a Jack Victor suit when I was vacationing in Canada last summer. At a place called Fraser's in Pembroke, Ontario. Think I paid $350.00 for it. It is decent, nice color, slightly boxy cut. For what I paid, I think I did OK, but as Zegnamtl says, its not the first thing I would reach for when I need to dress up.

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of Jack Victor suits and two of their sport coats. While I'd never claim that their quality is upper echelon, I am very satisfied with the fit and their durability.
bigstar[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads