• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dacks and other Canadian shoe brands

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rainy day shoes. These Dacks were rebuilt with Vibram Londra soles and a dyed brown welt foe the contrast look.

20240514_080521.jpg
20240514_080525.jpg

Reaction score
Thrifted these beautiful single strap Dack’s Custom Grade shoes a while back and forgot to post.

Tragically a Size 9D so I can’t hang onto them but fingers crossed something like these comes up in my size

Attachments

• IMG_0704.jpeg
    IMG_0704.jpeg
    232.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0708.jpeg
    IMG_0708.jpeg
    302.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0705.jpeg
    IMG_0705.jpeg
    263.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0706.jpeg
    IMG_0706.jpeg
    255.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0707.jpeg
    IMG_0707.jpeg
    225.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0709.jpeg
    IMG_0709.jpeg
    275.2 KB · Views: 18

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked these up at the thrift recently! They are custom grade but unsure of the leather type. Also, I am unfamiliar with this style of sizing for Dack’s, which number is for sizing, etc.
They are from the very early 50's or maybe even the last half of 1949. Rare pair. Clean them up and post some photos. as Ken pointed out, they are 12C.

SumGuy

Reaction score
Thrifted these beautiful single strap Dack’s Custom Grade shoes a while back and forgot to post.

Tragically a Size 9D so I can’t hang onto them but fingers crossed something like these comes up in my size
You don't often see Monk straps with a cap toe and a toe medallion. Those must be pretty rare. I'm not the shoe expert that others are here, so I won't bother to speculate as to the age of these.

Also, Being a size 9D is not a tragedy if you normally wear size 9D. Its just something that you just have to get used to, as most of the time, the thrift shops locations can't pick and choose they shoes they get, and you must deal with that.

Reaction score
You don't often see Monk straps with a cap toe and a toe medallion. Those must be pretty rare. I'm not the shoe expert that others are here, so I won't bother to speculate as to the age of these.

Also, Being a size 9D is not a tragedy if you normally wear size 9D. Its just something that you just have to get used to, as most of the time, the thrift shops locations can't pick and choose they shoes they get, and you must deal with that.
Yeah it was something that caught my eye right away regardless of make. Them being Dack’s just made it all the better!

And you’ll have to be patient with me lol, I haven’t yet mastered stoicism

SumGuy

Reaction score
I think the biggest tragedy is that they are not goodyear welted. Followed by the secondary disappointment that they don't fit you, because those really are unique.

Not being goodyear welted isn't a fatal flaw, as they can always be converted into a Blake stitched shoe, but even if that is done, they can only be resoled a couple of more times before they need to be completely re-constructed.

Are the non-goodyear welted construction Dacks of cemented (i.e. glued) construction? I think I did read that the Bespoke/Extra Quality shoes used blind/hidden stitching, but I don't think the Custom Grade shoes did. The grain of the leather also looks interesting, I'm not sure if it is cowhide or not.

zeromus

Reaction score
I'm normally a 9D.... If you do want to sell them, depending on price of course and my budget when the time comes drop me a message :) I don't own monkstraps but have always wanted to grab a pair and they'd enter semi-regular use in the office once every couple weeks if they're in solid condition. Re-soling won't have to happen too often since they would largely live indoors so they'd live a good long life doing what they were made to :)

Though I have no clue how that particular last would fit and sometimes a 9D is too narrow by a smidge so it would be a bit of a hoping game to some extent.

SumGuy

Reaction score
Zeromus, the Dack's last is generally very true to size. I am also a 9D, and I have a number of Dack's shoes in 9D, and they fit fine. I have both Custom Grade and Bespoke/Extra Quality level shoes, and there is no size difference. I sometimes do have an issue with some other vendor's 9D shoes, as some (mostly Italian loafers) that run a bit narrow, so for some of them, I need to get a 9E size instead of a 9D for comfort. In most British shoes, I look at getting a 8.5D, and they fit well (some are a little longer than others, but width is fine)

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pgayle001