• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • The 2024 Styleforum and Epaulet Alpaca Project

For the third year in a row, we're thrilled to partner with @Epaulet to bring you an exclusive collection of luxurious sweaters, hats, jackets, and blankets in Peruvian Alpaca.

Details can be found here

The Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Weddings - Groom + Groomsmen

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
Are these not authoritative enough sources? What more could you want?

I mean from a layman's perspective. It needs to be mentioned on teevee shows and such.

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Antonio Centeno
RangerP - I just finished writing this article - maybe it will help your cause! http://www.atailoredsuit.com/how-dress-wedding.html
Good article, but you should edit "publically" out of it. It's not a real word. EDIT 2: Since this is for laymen, I'd explain the terms balmoral and blucher better.

AB01

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Antonio Centeno
RangerP - I just finished writing this article - maybe it will help your cause! http://www.atailoredsuit.com/how-dress-wedding.html
From here: http://www.atailoredsuit.com/black-tie-formal-wear.html
The simple shawl collar is usually the better choice unless a man has a serious social reason for wearing a more attention-drawing option. Notched lapels are offered by some manufacturers, but are generally considered to be inappropriate for formalwear and should be avoided. Dinner jackets are almost always black, with either satin or grosgrain on the front of the lapels. Midnight blue is equally acceptable, but like the peaked lapel will be the less-common option in a crowd, and a man should carefully consider whether or not it is appropriate to stand out to a greater degree before choosing these options.
Isn't the original tuxedo peak lapel and also more common than shawl? I don't really see shawl out there much. Not from bespoke or from rentals. Something to consider from http://www.blacktieguide.com/Style/Suit_Style.htm
Shawl collars tend to negatively accentuate a portly man’s roundness while the upward sweep of peaked lapels can positively emphasize height on shorter men and shoulder width on slimmer frames.

Antonio Centeno

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pvrhye
Good article, but you should edit "publically" out of it. It's not a real word.

EDIT 2: Since this is for laymen, I'd explain the terms balmoral and blucher better.

That's why I love posting here - free edits
biggrin.gif

Thanks!

Antonio Centeno

Reaction score

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JesseJB
I mean from a layman's perspective. It needs to be mentioned on teevee shows and such.

Bump. Would be curious of any other authoritative sources besides Manton for discussion of wedding attire--specifically, why the groomsmen don't have to match exactly if wearing lounge suits.

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by polar-lemon
Bump. Would be curious of any other authoritative sources besides Manton for discussion of wedding attire--specifically, why the groomsmen don't have to match exactly if wearing lounge suits.

The funny thing is, the information seems to be out there. People just need someone to make a slick enough looking site to show to various brides/families - something that looks really official.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Black Tie Guide has a page on weddings. Check out the last section "Friends Don't Let Friends Match the Bridesmaids", though it doesn't quite address the issue at hand. The photo under High Noon Black Tie is actually me. Not my fault, I was best man at my friend's wedding and they dictated it to me.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pvrhye
The funny thing is, the information seems to be out there. People just need someone to make a slick enough looking site to show to various brides/families - something that looks really official.

Yup, pretty much.

Featured Sponsor

Do you coordinate your watch strap with your shoes or belt?

• Always

• Sometimes

• Never

• I don't pay attention

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hieromance