• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • The 2024 Styleforum and Epaulet Alpaca Project

For the third year in a row, we're thrilled to partner with @Epaulet to bring you an exclusive collection of luxurious sweaters, hats, jackets, and blankets in Peruvian Alpaca.

Details can be found here

The Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Weddings - Groom + Groomsmen

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by twistoffat
bring out your dead
wink.gif

Though I'm sure he does wear black suits too, that particular one looks midnight blue to me. Her suit and his shirt are both black though.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its just the lighting. They went matching http://www.fabsugar.com/George-Cloon...Suits-11261822
I don't think I trust someone who writes for a website called 'FabSugar' to be acquainted with the subtle difference between black and midnight blue... In-fact if you look at the comments at the bottom of the page you've linked, you will notice several people pointing out that his suit is actually blue: posted by Anonymous Tue, 09/28/2010 - 11:24am Actually, George's suit is Armani blue. Details, details.... posted by Anonymous Tue, 09/28/2010 - 12:42pm Yes, George's suit is dark blue.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same stance another angle. Looks black to me, especially if you look at the trouser leg

Still looks blue to me, though admittedly I'm viewing this on my work laptop where the colours are a bit screwed. If was the lighting, then surely hers would look blue as well, yet the difference between them is clear.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All I know is that now all I can think about is whether or not George Clooney has worn a black suit. If black suits are Clooney-approved, I am going to have to rethink my entire wardrobe.

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went through this with my brother and his fiance too. I steered em and we are going with the groom in grey and groomsmen in charcoal suits of their choice, white shirts and black shoes of their choice and matching ties. Groom and the co-best men have similar but different pocket squares and the rest in white pocket squares. The bridesmaids are doing something similar. She picked out about 6 possible dresses and sent the links to all the bridesmaids and just told them to get them in a specific color, whichever one they pick. There are ways to compromise.

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I recommended the OP check out Manton's article, myself - something to point to as an "expert opinion." My impression was that the bride and groom were looking to him for guidance, not that he was forcing it upon them.

ChicagoMediaMan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RangerP
I'm really sorry to bring this topic up once again on this forum as it has been tackled a few ZILLION times

FTFY

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always wondered if the "dress black" thing was really on account of lighting or more because of photography. Anyone who's studied any photography can tell you that B&W film doesn't pick up blue well and darkens it up by rather a lot. Then again, it could just be a related physical difference with light.

RangerP

Reaction score
Originally Posted by YoungAmerican
I recommended the OP check out Manton's article, myself - something to point to as an "expert opinion." My impression was that the bride and groom were looking to him for guidance, not that he was forcing it upon them.

Thanks Young American for your suggestions. I have definitely checked out Manton's article and I think it's a really great article.

You're entirely right about them looking to me for guidance. I think I might not have been clear in the original post. They know I'm more into clothing than they are and therefore have asked me for my opinion. The only problem is that my sister has a bunch of those girly wedding magazine where everyone matches perfectly in black suits etc.

Originally Posted by ChicagoMediaMan
FTFY

I know it has been discussed a million times. That is why I mention it.

What I think hasn't been discussed is sources that explain it properly. The Manton article is awesome...so is the Put This On article. However, those are the only 2 sources that I have found that discuss this subject.

I would love it if someone could point me in the direction of another source that says that groomsmen do not have to match and tuxes are not appropriate for a wedding at noon.

Thanks in advance to whoever can find this!

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd be interested as well because so far when we tell people the rules of wedding dress we have to say "because Flusser and Manton said so."

Anyone want to tip off What Not to Wear to do a wedding episode?!

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JesseJB
I'd be interested as well because so far when we tell people the rules of wedding dress we have to say "because Flusser and Manton said so."
Are these not authoritative enough sources? What more could you want?

Featured Sponsor

Do you coordinate your watch strap with your shoes or belt?

• Always

• Sometimes

• Never

• I don't pay attention

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hieromance