• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

YOU DECIDED THIS Fridays WAYWRN Challenge 1/21/10.. ANNOUNCED!

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clintonf
I used the think that. I don't any more. Reason? We appear to have very similar taste and from what I've seen we have a lot of overlap in clothing. However, Spoo rocks it better than me, so I hate him now
biggrin.gif

Seriously, between Spoo, MBreinin, Holdfast, PG, IST66, UC, NYR, YFYF, Upper and some VERY strong outfits from many others, I've been given inspiration and pointers on how to rock my look better than I was.

I doubt that I would have got the balls to post pictures of me wearing stuff, but for some of the people above.

They rock!!!
worship.gif

However, it's a little disheartening to read some of the comments in threads. Sometimes, it appears more important to make the joke, or put the person down than to actually advise. A real shame.

Clint

Thanks Clint - I hate you too.
fight[1].gif

It took me some time to start posting pictures in WAYWRN... the first time I uploaded I refreshed like 100x in the first 10 minutes hoping I got approval (OK, well, not much has changed
laugh.gif
) but Id say you shed a layer of thick skin every time you put a pic up... the snark, hey - it happens. We are (mostly) a bunch of well educated, nerdy sartorialists, hiding behind the veil of the interwebs. There will be a pissing contest of personalities and who's virtual dick is bigger... thats fine. Let it be! Thats the entertainment portion of SF for me. I dig watching that ****. But the other side of the coin is the knowledge and education that you can gain from SF... and if you have the ability to separate yourself from the snark/entertainment and the knowledge/education aspects of SF, you have won. My .02,
/rant
lol8[1].gif

Originally Posted by niidawg3
i think the evolution of SF, much like most other forums is cyclical. Seriously within 3 months of joining SF, i think the average person should have about 80-90% of the information they need. the remaining will come in bits and pieces as time goes on.

the more information one has, the less likely they are to remain as active as when they started. so those members will be replaced by newer members who initiate the cycle again.

Spoo has done a great job of spicing things up with the challenge ... however rarely will SF have SIGNIFICANTLY new information to provide to anyone who has been here longer than 3-6 months. Expecting that would just leave you feeling hollow - and why; over a message board?

SF is what it is - a message board where you come to get the information you need to get better sartorially, maybe impart some of that knowledge to others, maybe make a couple real life friends, maybe get some deals and then go back to your REAL lives.

I think people get too caught up in the "emotion of the board" and reducing those emotional expectations will make the board a whole lot more fun for all and sundry.

Have fun and enjoy it for what it is!!

this. (except for the real livez stuff... you dont know what you are talking about brah
laugh.gif
)

clintonf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Thanks Clint - I hate you too.
fight[1].gif

It took me some time to start posting pictures in WAYWRN... the first time I uploaded I refreshed like 100x in the first 10 minutes hoping I got approval (OK, well, not much has changed
laugh.gif
) but Id say you shed a layer of thick skin every time you put a pic up... the snark, hey - it happens. We are (mostly) a bunch of well educated, nerdy sartorialists, hiding behind the veil of the interwebs. There will be a pissing contest of personalities and who's virtual dick is bigger... thats fine. Let it be! Thats the entertainment portion of SF for me. I dig watching that ****. But the other side of the coin is the knowledge and education that you can gain from SF... and if you have the ability to separate yourself from the snark/entertainment and the knowledge/education aspects of SF, you have won. My .02,
/rant
lol8[1].gif

I agree with you, Nii and Mike. However, I just see some of the personal snark (not the jokey type stuff) a waste of time. I think it does boil down to is some people seeing their opinions as valid, even when there is no foundation to base the opinion on.

I'm all for criticism. Certain members put outfit after outfit to glean a better insight on how to better compliment their gear. Naturally, people can get quite defensive when they do not share the opinion of the Critic and to me that's fine.

I just take issue with the personal attacks that sometimes follow seemingly innocent arguments.

Combine this with the annonymity that the interweb provides and suddenly people are quite prepared to defend nonsense. Where's the learning in that?

We tend not to meet each other in the flesh and if we did, I'm pretty certain the conversations would not be as personal as they are here.

Maybe, I'm just too darned old now.
frown.gif

Clint

P.S. What is the "Groupthink" theme?

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seriously, I have no idea what I paid for stuff.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is going to an interesting double challenge, as I have to attend an office function directly after work on Friday - a party for which I need to look respectable, or at least until such time as the general populace is tanked up (there's an open bar). As it is, a cheap ensemble may be a wise choice - less whining and gnashing of teeth if someone spills red wine on me
devil.gif

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Retail or what we paid for them? I vote for retail!

If retail, 400-500 bucks. If what we paid for them, 200 bucks.

What about the cost of tailoring? This should be included, as should be the cost of accessories (tie, shoes, belt, pocket square).

I think this is a great challenge. And everyone should have SOME idea of what their clothing cost. I mean... you'll remember if you paid 50 or 500 dollars for a pair of shoes.

mc25

Reaction score
Hi. This is my first time really participating in something like this.
My $.02…I like the idea of a $500 retail limit…my idea is to go thrifting however and get it for way cheaper, what I can afford. ($50-$100).
Question…is this streetwear or classic dress? Or either?

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mc25
Hi. This is my first time really participating in something like this.
My $.02...I like the idea of a $500 retail limit...my idea is to go thrifting however and get it for way cheaper, what I can afford. ($50-$100).
Question...is this streetwear or classic dress? Or either?

Only tailored clothing, no Streetwear.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why not just have a budget theme but leave price open? That way people can factor in just how resourceful the entries are given the quoted aqcuisition costs.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TC (Houston)
Why not just have a budget theme but leave price open? That way people can factor in just how resourceful the entries are given the quoted aqcuisition costs.
You're just a baller and won't be able to enter the competition.
biggrin.gif

phailing101

Reaction score
Ya I think it would be interesting to see outfits and then a price of the outfit.....keeping in mind everyone has different resources. There are probably folks on here that don't own shoes they paid less than $200 for.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads