• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

YOU DECIDED THIS Fridays WAYWRN Challenge 1/21/10.. ANNOUNCED!

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clintonf

However, it's a little disheartening to read some of the comments in threads. Sometimes, it appears more important to make the joke, or put the person down than to actually advise. A real shame.

Clint

Thanks for the kind words, Clint. You will learn as time goes by whose snark/criticism is worth your time, and whose words are worthless (although I like to hear everyone's perspectives, from the old hats to the rookies).

Some people are just mean spirited. Quite often those same people don't back up their nasty words with any actual fits of their own.

Mike

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
I have been on a great many message boards in my day, and I have never found one where users didn't ***** about how the board used to be better and was going downhill.

yes this comment has been made by every society since the begining of time exluding maybe the first society to exist

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have been on a great many message boards in my day, and I have never found one where users didn't ***** about how the board used to be better and was going downhill.

There's a comment by Plato somewhere where he bitches about "kids these days" (I paraphrase...), so this behaviour predates the internet.
wink.gif

Having said that, there was a period last year where there did seem to be fewer posters contributing interesting information/photos. It seems a little better now to me, but perhaps I've just adjusted.

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think the evolution of SF, much like most other forums is cyclical. Seriously within 3 months of joining SF, i think the average person should have about 80-90% of the information they need. the remaining will come in bits and pieces as time goes on.

the more information one has, the less likely they are to remain as active as when they started. so those members will be replaced by newer members who initiate the cycle again.

Spoo has done a great job of spicing things up with the challenge ... however rarely will SF have SIGNIFICANTLY new information to provide to anyone who has been here longer than 3-6 months. Expecting that would just leave you feeling hollow - and why; over a message board?

SF is what it is - a message board where you come to get the information you need to get better sartorially, maybe impart some of that knowledge to others, maybe make a couple real life friends, maybe get some deals and then go back to your REAL lives.

I think people get too caught up in the "emotion of the board" and reducing those emotional expectations will make the board a whole lot more fun for all and sundry.

Have fun and enjoy it for what it is!!

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by niidawg3
go back to your REAL lives.

What is this 'real life' you speak of?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by niidawg3
i think the evolution of SF, much like most other forums is cyclical. Seriously within 3 months of joining SF, i think the average person should have about 80-90% of the information they need. the remaining will come in bits and pieces as time goes on.

the more information one has, the less likely they are to remain as active as when they started. so those members will be replaced by newer members who initiate the cycle again.

Spoo has done a great job of spicing things up with the challenge ... however rarely will SF have SIGNIFICANTLY new information to provide to anyone who has been here longer than 3-6 months. Expecting that would just leave you feeling hollow - and why; over a message board?

SF is what it is - a message board where you come to get the information you need to get better sartorially, maybe impart some of that knowledge to others, maybe make a couple real life friends, maybe get some deals and then go back to your REAL lives.

I think people get too caught up in the "emotion of the board" and reducing those emotional expectations will make the board a whole lot more fun for all and sundry.

Have fun and enjoy it for what it is!!

while you can get most of the info you need in a short period of time, its still more fun than whatever im supposed to be doing at work

cheers to SF

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 But this isn't just true of message boards; it's true of life in general. Every generation eventually becomes nostalgic for what it perceives as its heyday, which is, of course, the last time that generation's preferred styles, trends, and preferences were the norm. Sooner or later, everyone reaches the point at which he says to his kids (or grandkids), "Turn that crap down! Ya call that music?"

Originally Posted by clintonf
When I came to SF, you'd have some "tough love" when you asked a question which wasn't really sensible, but genuine in its intent. But you got love.
Seriously? I joined up only a few months after you did, and I don't remember it being any better or worse back then. And hey! Turn that crap down!

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So um..... anyone actually want to talk about this weeks challenge?
smack.gif

I voted for the all blue one but it looks like I'll be shot down.
mad.gif

BlackBrumel

Reaction score
Only seven votes for "best trad"? What are we becoming? Liberals?!
bored.gif

wait
fing02[1].gif

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Achilles_
So um..... anyone actually want to talk about this weeks challenge?
smack.gif

I voted for the all blue one but it looks like I'll be shot down.
mad.gif

that was my vote as well, im hoping for a late comeback

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BlackBrumel
Only seven votes for "best trad"? What are we becoming? Liberals?!
bored.gif

wait
fing02[1].gif

Trad is out...

clintonf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threadbearer
+1 But this isn't just true of message boards; it's true of life in general. Every generation eventually becomes nostalgic for what it perceives as its heyday, which is, of course, the last time that generation's preferred styles, trends, and preferences were the norm. Sooner or later, everyone reaches the point at which he says to his kids (or grandkids), "Turn that crap down! Ya call that music?"

Seriously? I joined up only a few months after you did, and I don't remember it being any better or worse back then. And hey! Turn that crap down!

Perhaps your right. However, to me, I perceive that there are a lot more people expressing their opinions about stuff they have no idea about. I believe that everyone should have an opinion. However, it would advantageous for some people to clearly distingish their opinion from facts.

I've already turned the crap off. That's not what you call music!!!

Anyway, I would like to know whether there are any rules to the outfit on a budget? Is there maximum value?

Clint

clintonf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
Thanks for the kind words, Clint. You will learn as time goes by whose snark/criticism is worth your time, and whose words are worthless (although I like to hear everyone's perspectives, from the old hats to the rookies).

Some people are just mean spirited. Quite often those same people don't back up their nasty words with any actual fits of their own.

Mike

Mike, it's not only fits that I'm referring to. There are many threads posted here and some are really interesting. Other's not so.

However, more and more are being dragged on, not by the topic, but snark. I just fail to see the point.

But maybe it's just me. Perhaps, I gotta roll with the times.

Clint

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads