• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

YOU DECIDED THIS Fridays WAYWRN Challenge 1/21/10.. ANNOUNCED!

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but the kicker should be that it has the full retail price of an item, regardless of where you purchased the item. So, even Mabitex pants would be, what, 200 bucks?

Edit: Yeah, 400 probably sounds good.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Best outfit on a budget gets my vote hands down.
The 'wanna-be's' (myself included) out-number the big timers 1,000,000 to 1 in real life,
so I would like to se the Big Timers show us just what can be done on a dime.

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
Not that I have a horse in this race, but I foresee a problem if you limit the "Best outfit on a budget" to 400 with all items at full retail. For many of the regulars, I would be surprised if they could put on shoes and a belt without blowing the 400.

I, for one, don't want to see a bunch of AE park avenues and wieners.

tone76

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBear
I just think the public (including myself) have a lot more to learn about dressing on a budget from the senior members here. I don't think there are enough concrete resources just yet. That's just my opinion, maybe I haven't lurked enough. But that might also explain why dressing on a budget has been voted the most. Or just all of us need to lurk more.
biggrin.gif

I think a cheap suit challenge (not unlike a Top Gear cheap car challenge) would be an excellent idea. Of course, it would be the seasoned thrifters at an advantage, but then OTOH it would inspire those of us at the very early stages of our sartorial journey that don't have a lot of spare coin to invest.

On that note, at the risk of going (slightly) OT, I reckon a WAYWRN 'Rookie' Challenge could be fun. Open to posters that have less than a certain number of posts, or have participated in less than a certain number of WAYWRN challenges. Could be a great way for the doyens of SF to help us newbies sharpen up a bit.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't get it. Was I supposed to be keeping receipts for everything I've bought over the years?

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm voting Flannel and Brown in Town. Don't seem to be in the poll however.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NOBD
I'm voting Flannel and Brown in Town. Don't seem to be in the poll however.

Flannel will be lovely...

Congratulations to all of you for offering us every week something different...

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
Yeah, but the kicker should be that it has the full retail price of an item, regardless of where you purchased the item. So, even Mabitex pants would be, what, 200 bucks?

Edit: Yeah, 400 probably sounds good.

Yeah, that is not going to work. The MO of SF bargain shoppers is not to buy cheap things, but expensive things cheaply.

Mike

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
Yeah, that is not going to work. The MO of SF bargain shoppers is not to buy cheap things, but expensive things cheaply.

I think the younger guys around here are conspiring to get a bunch of middle aged clothes equines to show them how to look like a million bucks on an Old Navy budget.
smile.gif

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
I think the younger guys around here are conspiring to get a bunch of middle aged clothes equines to show them how to look like a million bucks on an Old Navy budget.
smile.gif

If that is what they pick, so they shall be enlightened.
smile.gif

That is an easy challenge for me. Hell, I could come in below $100, as I am sure some of my other fellow thrifters could (Like UC) as well.

I won't even have to take a new picture.
lol8[1].gif

Mike

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think we should have a highest watch to suit cost ratio challenge.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I voted groupthink, but if we go budget, I think the cap should be based on the amount spent, not MSRP. Excluding shoes, we could see some great fits for less than $400 (you've seen some of the steals on B&S). It might even bring some new blood into WAYRN. After all, this is styleforum, not affluenceforum.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems to me that several of the poll options, such as Best FU/SC and best Gun Club, stray from the goal of helping us dress better and place the emphasis instead on who owns the best item in each category. If the goal of these challenges is to help us improve, then we should probably choose less piece-specific topics.

I also have another recommendation along those lines. I propose an entrance fee. I suggest that everyone who enters a weekly challenge accept, as his entrance "fee", an obligation to offer constructive criticism to at least three other entrants in that week's challenge.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
Voted for:
11210Lapo1452Web.jpg

And I voted for Best
ffffuuuu.gif
SC. I think it would be great, especially given the eclectic tastes on this board.
Originally Posted by GBear
But then, like cptjeff said, that would give people who thrift a clear advantage. I have just seen that most people (especially people still in university) post about style help and define a budget between $500-$1000. Obviously $1000 is way too high for this is be any challenge. You're right, $500 is a little high still. I would think more like $400. That way, both people who thrift and buy retail will be on equal grounds thus benefitting all of those people out there looking style on a budget.
The whole budget thing is sort of weird -- while I've several great items that I've acquired on the cheap, it would be difficult to keep the whole ensemble "thrifty". You throw in a decent pair of shoes and a good shirt and you hit the $400 mark easily. It sounds like no child left behind, bringing everyone down to the lowest common denominator, rather than the other way around.
Originally Posted by Threadbearer
It seems to me that several of the poll options, such as Best FU/SC and best Gun Club, stray from the goal of helping us dress better and place the emphasis instead on who owns the best item in each category. If the goal of these challenges is to help us improve, then we should probably choose less piece-specific topics. I also have another recommendation along those lines. I propose an entrance fee. I suggest that everyone who enters a weekly challenge accept, as his entrance "fee", an obligation to offer constructive criticism to at least three other entrants in that week's challenge.
That is a great idea and would certainly stir up more conversation!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads