• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

www.ehaberdasher.com - affiliate page

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Request: suits in the bella spalla model with 3.5 inch lapels.

I'll think about it... going to Italy possibly next week to meet with them.

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I'm really worried. I just purchased my first benjamin suit ( Sartorial ), and please keep in mind I'm 5'5, 145 lbs athletic build..yes I know I'm short I blame my Filipino side. I usually buy blazers from H&M and 36R fits pretty great, with a minor adjustments to sleeve length. I ended up ordering 36R for my Benjamin suit and only now after the order has shipped did I come across the exact measurements, and compared to h&m, the Benjamin suit seems to be quite a bit bigger, mostly concerned about the length of the entire suit.d Does anybody have experience with the sizing of the 2 brands? I'm just worried because I have a wedding in a few weeks, and if I'll need to send the suit back and order the 36S, and may not have enough time for altercations.

EDIT: I understand it's my fault, the measurements were clearly stated but I just assumed 36R in h&m would have the same fit anywhere.

At 5'5" you'll most definitely need a short. Best thing to do is order a new one and we can get the 36S out to you asap. If you are international you may be able to deny accepting the parcel that we already shipped (36R) and it will be return to sender. Might take a little longer to get back to us but you'd likely save on shipping and possibly duty if they are trying to collect any due with the parcel.

By the way you probably don't want to get into an altercation with your tailor - a tailor is man's best friend! (you want alterations - not altercations)! :crackup:

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

The nobile model only goes down to a 36S the only 34R is the classico II model. From what I gathered the nobile is slim and judging by the pictures on ehaberdasher the classico suit is quite a bit darker than the nobile. I'm just holding on to the hope that H&M's website is just giving vague measurements and that the suit I ordered will fit even better. Sorry I understand I look like I'm just complaining when all I can do is just wait and hope for the best

Classico II is slim - Nobile is just slightly slimmer in the jacket - I may change that and make it slightly fuller as I'm collecting feedback and so far there have been a few who've needed to size up and haven't had to in the past... I was going by my own body and I like the Nobile fit better but I gotta listen to you guys and not just design for myself! :embar:

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

No I ordered the charcoal gray one. The classico II looks darker than the nobile model. If they're both actually the same colour, does anybody mind listing the key difference between the 2 models?

They're the same color - we did a poor job in that they're not consistent in the photos... same exact fabric. Again the Nobile is slightly slimmer and also does have a softer shoulder (and slightly narrower shoulder). I reworked it to help alleviate the shoulder divot issue that a few people were having in the past. Anyone care to comment?

JohnDoe93

Reaction score

At 5'5" you'll most definitely need a short. Best thing to do is order a new one and we can get the 36S out to you asap. If you are international you may be able to deny accepting the parcel that we already shipped (36R) and it will be return to sender. Might take a little longer to get back to us but you'd likely save on shipping and possibly duty if they are trying to collect any due with the parcel.

By the way you probably don't want to get into an altercation with your tailor - a tailor is man's best friend! (you want alterations - not altercations)! :crackup:

Thank you so much, should I just send an email to the service email listed on your website regarding my issue? And I will do my part in ordering the 36S...I can't even blame the altercation/alteration on spellcheck this time :(

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Thank you so much, should I just send an email to the service email listed on your website regarding my issue? And I will do my part in ordering the 36S...I can't even blame the altercation/alteration on spellcheck this time :(

Yes - please do send a quick note to [email protected] - that'd be great as I'm in the London office, although I'll be sure to mention it to you them as well to give them a heads up.

goggans

Reaction score
Ben, have you considered doing any suits in summer fabrics (cotton khaki, seersucker, linen)?

I live in the southern U.S. and would be VERY interested in these. I would probably buy one of each, especially if they were un/half lined and slightly fuller like the Bella Spalla sport coats!

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Ben, have you considered doing any suits in summer fabrics (cotton khaki, seersucker, linen)?

I live in the southern U.S. and would be VERY interested in these. I would probably buy one of each, especially if they were un/half lined and slightly fuller like the Bella Spalla sport coats!

Maybe... possibly Bella Spalla made to order.... I'll think about it.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'm in the same boat being in Florida but would like to see wool fresco's or wool/linen blends, especially with minimal 1/4 or butterfly lining. Very interested, I'd stock up.

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I'm in the same boat being in Florida but would like to see wool fresco's or wool/linen blends, especially with minimal 1/4 or butterfly lining. Very interested, I'd stock up.

With Bella Spalla I can do smaller orders - with Benjamin Sartorial I have to order much higher quantities, so again we'll see.

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

@eHaberdasher
 What are the measurements for your Benjamin dress shirts in 15.5? Thanks!

Sorry I totally neglected this...

Benjamin Sartorial Dress shirt in Tremiti/Giacomo (they're the same model)

Chest: 21.5" across (43" circumference)
Shoulders: 18.5" straight across
Waist: 20.25" (40.5" circumference)
Sleeve from center neck: 34"
Sleeve from shoulder seam: 25.25"
Length from BOC: 30"

Hope that helps.

scatterbrain

Reaction score
Here are the fit pics of the Benjamin Mediterranean Blue Bella Spalla Jacket.

I think I had the sleeves shortened a little too much. As mentioned before, Magic Tailor in Toronto undid the buttonhole stictching with no scarring at all.

I generally like the cut. The shoulders have very little padding on the top and back of the shoulder. It feels like there's slightly more padding in the front of the shoulder than I was expecting. There is some padding or wadding or something outside the shoulder seam, so it's not as messy as I was expecting. I love the stitching on the shoulder seam, but would've been ok with a messier shirt-sleeve style shoulder.

The jacket is cut not overly slim, but is certainly not baggy. This is a 42r in Bella Spalla. I wear a 40r in the Benjamin Purple Line Napoli jackets. I am around 20 pounds overweight right now - most in the spare tire region - and I think it sits fine as is. It would sit better if I didn't have any spare tire. There was no fabric to let out at the waist. If I gain an inch, buttoning would probably be tight and result in too much of an "X"

As discussed at length in this thread, the lapels are thinner than I would prefer. I would prefer 3.75-4". I think that would be a better proportion for my build, but I don't think these look like the trendy thin lapels that are still seen somewhat frequently on Indochino-style suits.

Buttoning point feels higher than expected. 1" lower would fit me better for me, but I have a low waist and this is a common issue for me with RTW.

Below is a closeup of the fabric, in natural lighting from a large window. As mentioned before, I love the fabric. I don't think I could improve on it if I went custom and had my choice of fabric from the books.

I definitely think it is a 3-season jacket, though. If I wear it when it's over 23ish degrees celsius (~73F) outside, I sweat too much. I run hot, so other people might be able to go a few degrees higher. Yesterday it was around 17 degrees celcius in the shade Toronto, and this jacket was perfect for patio drinks. It is warm, but doesn't feel heavy. Just soft, like a blanket.

The fabric changes a lot based on the lighting. Oustide it is pretty vibrant (but not too bright). Inside it often resolves to a lighter navy.

One of the other outstanding things about the jacket is the back. I noticed it before the tailor pointed it out. It is exceptionally clean for RTW. When I stand normally, the skirt isn't rippled like that.

Overall, I'm very pleased. I don't know of a better option for around $500 Canadian including exchange rate, customs, and alterations.

Last edited:

flvinny521

Reaction score
Here are the fit pics of the Benjamin Mediterranean Blue Bella Spalla Jacket.

I'm no expert, but that looks great. You may be right about the sleeve length. It would never work for me, since in Florida, the one season you couldn't wear this jacket in is the only season we have.

scatterbrain

Reaction score
I'm no expert, but that looks great. You may be right about the sleeve length. It would never work for me, since in Florida, the one season you couldn't wear this jacket in is the only season we have.
Thank you, sir.

Edit: I guess that's the one upside to living in an area where it snows for four months and isn't really hot for 9 out of 12 months. Seasonal jackets! I can wear anything - for at least 4 months of the year.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads