• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Williamsburg Brooklyn or Cobble/Boerum Hill? 30 year old single male

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I live in Carroll Gardens, and my shop is on the border of CG and Cobble Hill. I've been here for 8 years, and I lived in both Williamsburg and Chelsea before that. I'm also from Long Island originally.

You should move here. It's a great, comfortable neighborhood for a 30yo. Williamsburg is exciting, but it's a younger scene. It's fun to visit, but it can be a little tiresome living there if you're not 23.

What's especially nice about Carroll Gardens / Cobble Hill is the density of businesses on Court Street and Smith Street. Other BK neighborhoods are pretty spread out. Here, things are very concentrated on these two main blocks, so you have a level of accessibility that feels like Manhattan. You'll be happy here.

newintown23

Reaction score
Epaulet- Thank you for your kind words. What kind of shop do you have? I especially liked the density of smith and court street and also found it a strong selling point. Its hard not to look at park slope because its a better bang for the buck, but the kids... Ohh the kids!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

What part of the Island are you from. I am VERY excited about the move. Its long overdue. Being single has been a choice and if your not married on long island by 30, your an outcast. All of my friends are married, some have kids, couple even going through a divorce. Im just not ready for any of that yet. Dont get me wrong, I dont go out and rip it to 5am anymore and my hardcore club days are long behind be, but I certainly like to have a good time, and I am not having one on Long Island Lately. I just dont want to be surrounded by Moms, couples, and strollers all the time. Every Time I walk park slope thats the vibe I get. I do like how its closer to the Atlantic terminal but thats only a stop or two more from the areas you mentioned. As I mentioned earlier I would love a building as opposed to a brownstone for the pure fact of meeting people quicker. Im very social and outgoing and Im sure ill be fine, but the fact of the matter is, I know one person in Brooklyn. I would be making the move myself... I welcome the change.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Epaulet- Thank you for your kind words. What kind of shop do you have? I especially liked the density of smith and court street and also found it a strong selling point. Its hard not to look at park slope because its a better bang for the buck, but the kids... Ohh the kids!

williamsburg is teeming with little children these days. just go to brunch places in the area before 9am and you'll see the tables chalk full of families with little children and couples with children meeting up.

I say move to williamsburg for a year and trying living it. I have a suspicion you want to sample the womenz of brooklyn to the highest degree and also some of the urban decay involved with it. why not live the hipster life a bit (buy a bike, park on the street, walk 3 blocks to the secret concerts/dive bars and hook up with hot hipster chicks).

you're only young once, and it sounds like you want to have good time for a while, why not just try living it.

you know what- wearing a nice suit in williamsburg will still attract females because well, even hipster chicks want to date a guy who has a car, stable job, and own a suit. think about it... you can still ride a fixie and scruff up a little bit, but maintain your job, and let loose a little. when the women find out that you're stable you'll be an even bigger ***** magnet.

and after a year or two... you can move again after you've lived the life a bit, but in 5 years the stroller crowd will have taken over Williamsburg anyway.

Edit: the only really ****** part about williamsburg in relation to commuting is taking the L train in to manhattan during the weekdays during normal work hours... the trains are filled to the brim in the mornings - this is why so many people in the area just walk across the bridge or bike to work. but if you have a car the BQE is so easy to get on.

Last edited:

newintown23

Reaction score
Haha Lawrence,
Your a pissa. You seem to be on my page
fistbump.gif

Killin it with some hipster chicks because they rarely see a suit or a well maintained beard was always a thought of mine as soon as I stepped foot in Williamsburg. I would stand out, and almost in a good way. Anywhere you live in any of the areas mentioned is a give and take.
Williamsburg has tons of new construction buildings. Some with amazing views and amenities. I work out on a regular bases and not having to leave my building to go to the gym is pretty sweet. Having a pool and all that is nice also. I just cant imagine who lives in these buildings because they are far from cheap. Lets say i said I would like to stay $2600 and under for a one bed/studio (either or)...

In Williamsburg, I am closer to Manhattan night live on the LES, Little Italy and Soho, although like i mentioned before, that would not be a frequent occurrence. I would like to show my face at an attorneys office that i would with on a regular bases who is in sheapshead bay.
Thats a real hike, but only 2 days a week. Driving to Melville a couple of days a week from Williamsburg would be pretty straight forward and easy. For 2600 in Williamsburg you are in an insane building with views and a ton of people to meet. If i were to spend the same money in cobble hill or BH, no shot i could be in a building. I would be in a brownstone or something of the like, on my own, having to mingle more.
BUT... The cobble hill area really is fantastic. Its a tough call. I need to hang out in Williamsburg at night a bit I think. I really dont know too much about it

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

You think I'm better off in a brownstone or a building?

I'm live in a B-Stone right off Smith Street in the heart of Boerum Hill. Love only having 2 other tenants in the house....However, some apts provide great views and services(roof deck, etc.)

I live in Carroll Gardens, and my shop is on the border of CG and Cobble Hill. I've been here for 8 years, and I lived in both Williamsburg and Chelsea before that. I'm also from Long Island originally.
You should move here. It's a great, comfortable neighborhood for a 30yo. Williamsburg is exciting, but it's a younger scene. It's fun to visit, but it can be a little tiresome living there if you're not 23.
What's especially nice about Carroll Gardens / Cobble Hill is the density of businesses on Court Street and Smith Street. Other BK neighborhoods are pretty spread out. Here, things are very concentrated on these two main blocks, so you have a level of accessibility that feels like Manhattan. You'll be happy here.

Have to agree with most of this^^. Carroll Gardens is just down the street from Boerum Hill. I am a 1/2 block awa from Smith and a short walk to everywhere on Smith/Court. You really have no need to go into the city on the wknds....

Last edited:

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't speak specifically to the NYC area since I'm in a completely different part of the country, but I have a very similar living situation to you and I'd say it's absolutely essential, above all else, that you find a place where you'll run into the highest number of people possible through your daily activities. Don't set yourself up to live in the same arrangement as a 40 year old with a family... you'll get depressed within a few weeks and (shudder), may go back to that ex gf. A luxury apt building is a good idea and the route I took, just make sure it's sufficiently occupied and has well-visited communal areas. There should also be a large and varied number of stores/food sources/bars within a walking distance of your place too, i.e. that has the density Epaulet mentioned. Unless you're ultra-social and have a huge repository of friends, clubs, or events you take part in, which isn't the typical SFer, you'll need to take the extra time to find a place like this and sacrifice on other things that may be more convenient.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you ruled out the city? A $3,000/mo budget gets you a studio in about any neighborhood, and an OK 1-br in a lot of spots.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You sound like meeting girls is your priority. Lucky.

Whichever neighborhood you decide to live in, you'll meet tons of em. Don't pick the place based on meeting girls, you do that going out. Pick a place that you'll feel good about coming home to. Have you been out on your own on the island or with family? Long Island and the hoods you're looking at are completely different animals. You have to go out on the Island to meet girls, and while you may meet chicks through building friends, sometimes its just not worth it. So in that regards, its the same. Just that in Brooklyn when you go out, there'll be tons of them, and great variety, whereas on Long Island they're mostly the same.

I hope once you move you post a follow up thread, so I can have someone else to live vicariously through. (Married and two kids) It helps. :)

Last edited:

newintown23

Reaction score
Quote: I have ruled out the city. Moving from Long Island to Brooklyn is a HUGE change. Suburbs to urban lifestyle...
Every time I spend an entire day in Manhattan I just feel drained. Too loud, too much going on, too many people, I just couldnt live there. I can visit for a day, go out at night, but I wouldnt want to live there. I like how Brooklyn is a neighborhood. I can know the guy at the coffee shop, or my favorite lunch spot, ect. It would be good networking for my business as well.

Quote: I have lived on my own since I was 18, and I have always been self employed. So im very use to being on my own. Ill be 31 May 5th...

Quote:
Sure thing!
fistbump.gif

SVENN- Thanks for the feedback.

EPAULET- Ill be sure to check out your shop!

Whats funny is I grew up as an only child, and its been my mother and I for as long as I can remember, and she is also moving to Brooklyn (for other reasons of course) and even she is having second thoughts about Park Slope because of the kids and she is 57! haha... She said she would prefer Brooklyn Heights, and I cant blame her.

Feel free to throw some more thoughts and ideas around. I appreciate all of you and Im happy I started the thread. Cheers

newintown23

Reaction score
TER1413- Please let me know if you know of any Luxury buildings in the area for rent worth checking out. If I could stay under 2500 a month to be in a building in that area id be all over it...
Thanks!

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^that looks like a female demographic who's prowling for future husbands and ready to make babies within a year.

move there and you'll definitely see a high level of woman (good job pretty good head on the shoulders) - which is a good thing.

odds are that you'll date for a month then get into a serious relationship quick and your early 30's will morph into you being 35 with a mortgage, wife, and a couple kids contemplating moving back to long island... or new jersey... :devil:

newintown23

Reaction score
Ill tell you what. That wouldnt be such a bad thing. My suit would blend in well in that area, and I would never date a girl who didnt have a good head on their shoulders, so thats a plus as well.
I will be 31 May 5th... If i could have another 1-3 year run before all of that happened id be a happy man. haha. I think I have just swapped park slope as a potential candidate and replaced it with the East Village...

http://www.fuckedinparkslope.com/home/who-gives-a-****-do-you-like-living-in-park-slope.html

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads