• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why no love for BB?

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like BB because there's no other brand of similar or better quality that has their products readily available in stores and online, except for Ralph Lauren but they have ridiculous retail prices.

Kiwi Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saturdays
Brooks Brothers is a great suit, Gorbachev bought one when he visited USA. Its just that the cut is not meant for young slim men. I always go shopping at RL and BB with my dad and whenever we are in BB he tries to make me buy a BB suit, but the BB employees always say I should go to the Kids section (I'm in my 20's).
At RL, the suits also feel a little bigger but not as big depending on the style you grab, RLBL & Rugby RL is the best fit for me from the different brands they offer.

That's applied to me as well. Ralph Lauren has so many lines for different types of customers. Even though I have never gone to Brooks Brothers store to try on their suits, most of the time, I knew for sure that their would not probably fit me simply because the style of clothes that they use to wear on model are not exactly my type.

Originally Posted by Liquidus
I like BB because there's no other brand of similar or better quality that has their products readily available in stores and online, except for Ralph Lauren but they have ridiculous retail prices.

Not only that, Brooks Brothers' customer service is the best and they stand behind the quality of their clothes and I do NOT believe this applies to any other high-end clothing brand names. NOT SINGLE ONE OF THEM!

Jay Gatsby

Reaction score
Brooks Brothers are probably not what they once were. Most of the stuff I order from them these days have 'Made in China' tags.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BB gets love around here. Whenever someone makes a post of "Hey, I'm new to suits. I need a classic navy or charcoal suit, not looking to break the bank", BB is always suggested.

I think their online store sucks though, way too many delays.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Brooks Brothers rules. What other mall store can get you some Crockett and Jones opera pumps, or a handmade velvet smoking jacket, or sock garters?

Their suits are good quality at a good price. The people complaining about how they are cut for "fat Americans" or "fit like a tent" probably ought to be shopping at H&M or Express or some other place that sells suits for scrawny 20-somethings.

With four shirt fits, they offer options for every body shape. If an Extra Slim Fit shirt fits you like a tent, you need to work out, eat a sandwich, or start wearing Band of Outsiders and Dior Homme.

Yes, they have sourced a bunch of their stuff out to China/Malaysia, which I agree is weak, but they do still offer plenty of stuff made by skilled manufacturers, including a bunch of stuff made by Martin Greenfield and Caruso. My local SA tells me that they have heard the customers' complaints and are moving a bunch of their production back to Southwick.

For me, Brooks Brothers is a go-to spot for just about anything I might need. The quality is always going to be good to great, and during sales the clothes on offer represent a good value.

We here on SF are ruined by the knowledge that there exist $699 Isaia suits on the Internet. For most men, however, a shopping trip to Brooks Brothers represents a high quality, generally timeless wardrobe.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think BB has come a long way back in the past 10 years. There is some good stuff, but you need to search a bit. Not all shirts are created equal. I have found the made in China ones to be far inferior to the US and even Malaysian made. I detest non-iron, but that seems to be a personal preference. The 1818 suits are good value when on sale (which happens often enough). The Fitzgerald fits me well with a few tweaks by my tailor. They also have some very nice shoes in the Alden and British made versions. Many ties are nice, though some are quite boring and fat, and accessories from underwear and socks to belts and wallets are good quality if a bit pricey.

Perhaps the best thing is that BB is one of the few one-stop places for menswear. I know they were better and higher quality back in the day, but it is one of the few stores where I feel I could go when the airline has lost all my luggage and outfit myself for a business trip from head to toe.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
I think Brooks Brothers rules. What other mall store can get you some Crockett and Jones opera pumps, or a handmade velvet smoking jacket, or sock garters?

Their suits are good quality at a good price. The people complaining about how they are cut for "fat Americans" or "fit like a tent" probably ought to be shopping at H&M or Express or some other place that sells suits for scrawny 20-somethings.

With four shirt fits, they offer options for every body shape. If an Extra Slim Fit shirt fits you like a tent, you need to work out, eat a sandwich, or start wearing Band of Outsiders and Dior Homme.

Yes, they have sourced a bunch of their stuff out to China/Malaysia, which I agree is weak, but they do still offer plenty of stuff made by skilled manufacturers, including a bunch of stuff made by Martin Greenfield and Caruso. My local SA tells me that they have heard the customers' complaints and are moving a bunch of their production back to Southwick.

For me, Brooks Brothers is a go-to spot for just about anything I might need. The quality is always going to be good to great, and during sales the clothes on offer represent a good value.

We here on SF are ruined by the knowledge that there exist $699 Isaia suits on the Internet. For most men, however, a shopping trip to Brooks Brothers represents a high quality, generally timeless wardrobe.

+ 1, Thumbs Up - Analysis of the day.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just feel better in anything "Made in Italy" than "Made in China/Malaisa/Thayland".

Other people are more impressed with Polo and Ralph Lauren. It's sexy, fun; it's Italian.

Chinese stuff is just
facepalm.gif

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
I just feel better in anything "Made in Italy" than "Made in China/Malaisa/Thayland".

Other people are more impressed with Polo and Ralph Lauren. It's sexy, fun; it's Italian.

Chinese stuff is just
facepalm.gif

Im not so stuck on the Made in Italy thing, I prefer the concept:

"Made in anywhere but China", or more specifically "Made in EU, USA, Japan, Scandanavia" or in some part of world where the garment makers are paid a decent wage and have to be highly skilled to earn that wage.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brooks suits and coats make up the majority of my closet now. Their 3/2 sack cut is among my favorites, and I haven't the cash on hand for custom. Sure, they're not as great as Isaia, but for my office and court work they're sufficient workhorses.

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i like BB... but i work for them so im a bit bias...

also i get a sufficient discount to spoil me to death.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have tons of bb stuff. almost all of it has lasted a very long time. no suits. slacks, shirts, sweaters, jackets. they are cut a tad big but im not super slim so its no biggie. point being im a fan
smile.gif

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to shop frequently at BB, but my BB purchases decreased significantly over the past 2 years.

The design is not a big issue: I don't like the Madison cut, but I think that both Regent and Fitzgerald are quite nice even though I think that Ralph Lauren's styling is still a bit better.

The main reason for avoiding BB is that I am not satisfied with the product quality any more. I realized that I can do much better than their RTW and MTM offering at other places and I know rely mainly on W.W. Chan for suits and shirts. So the only thing I still buy at Brooks are staples like polo shirts, chinos, ties, etc.

Alex C

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106

Chinese stuff is just
facepalm.gif

My BB Fitz'es are made in Italy.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alex C
My BB Fitz'es are made in Italy.

My BB 1818 Regent is made in Italy w/ dual vents and flat front pants. It is my best-fitting suit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads