• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do government web forms suck?

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A student of mine received a box from his uncle in Saudi Arabia. The box contains see-through plastic bags with dates from his uncle's farm, plus some Arabic coffee and spices. Before customs will release the box to him, he is required to fill out a "past notice" form online. Unfortunately, these forms are the most confusing, convoluted things I've ever seen in my entire life. My ISA is doing the forms for him because he simply can't understand them, and his English is pretty good. She has to fill out a seperate form for each food item, and she just finished the first form after about 45 minutes and three phone calls to customs. What the **** is wrong with these people??? And are other countries' government forms as bad?

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Why does your threak posting ability suck?

DOUBLE THREAK POAST FAIL

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Eh?

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I forget what I had to fill out recently but the forms were brutal. I think it is because the gov't probably spend a million dollars to consultants to make them more ergonomic. I recall there was a place about __ that long for a phone number.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that customs agencies like to make their rules as confusing as possible. It's the philosophy of security through obscurity.

coldarchon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember a form for business ideas how to help others like orphans, handicapped etc. I had the idea of a shop for self made knitted socks and pullovers. old ladys know this stuff and have a lot of time in their nursing homes, and some other people would love to get personalized or stylish self made woolen stuff. so why not make a b2c market and the old ladys had some extra money they could waste for more bingo events. although I had all the needed information on a paper, it took me 15 minutes to fill out the form. when I clicked submit I was told my session had expired. so I wrote them their time frame was too small. someone from boston consulting replied I should try again or email him all the information. I just sent him a
ffffuuuu.gif

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Government forms are created by government bureacrats. They usually can't be fired. On a related note, we have a post in front of our apartment with -- get this -- four parking signs on it, one on top of the other. My gf and I are both lawyers, and we thought we had figured out what's what. Nope, we got two tickets the other day for "disobeying an official sign" within 15 minutes of each other (one by a human, the other by a vehicle camera).
ffffuuuu.gif
So, again being lawyers, we appealed. After the appeal was mailed, we got charged another $25 for not paying the first ticket. A call to the DC parking office later, which was escalated to a supervisor of some sort, it was admitted -- by a source who can't be named here -- that we shouldn't have gotten a second ticket, and furthermore, we shouldn't have been charged a late fee. But, there was nothing he could've done. The appeal process takes 6-8 months.
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

MarquisMagic

Reaction score
Most web forms suck.

BTW, most government web forms are not designed by bureaucrats..they're designed by consultants!

Agnacious

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RyJ Maduro
Because they're produced by the government.

Originally Posted by MarquisMagic
Most web forms suck.

BTW, most government web forms are not designed by bureaucrats..they're designed by consultants!

And the answer lies somewhere in the middle. It is true many of these jobs are put out for bid to consultants. The root of the problem is that when this is done there is no one receiving the product who is qualified to verify quality and user experience. And since the work is done on fixed bid, the consultant has no motivation to improve any awkwardness once the product is delivered.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you sure you're allowed to import spices? I know whenever I come from Asia I get grilled at customs making sure I didn't bring any spices into the country.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
Are you sure you're allowed to import spices? I know whenever I come from Asia I get grilled at customs making sure I didn't bring any spices into the country.

Don't know. It's up to the student. He's had to drive to Minneapolis (5 hours each way) TWICE because of this. Neither the people in Minneapolis, nor the people in DC, nor the web site have been helpful at all. The crazy thing is, he could have just gone to our international market and bought the same ****...it's just dates, coffee, and spices.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads