• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whnay.'s good taste thread

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Preparing for a potential smackdown.

7850946880_44882defde_c.jpg
I like this very mucho. But those lapels seem to be asking for a wider tie...

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think gdl encouraged me to keep it the last time I dared to post it here.
I still have my doubts.

I still like it and think it would work well with a darker navy suit, and navy grenadine (or even a light-to-mid blue with well spaced dots), in a London conservative business dress kind of way. But I'm biased, I do that look a lot (checked shirt, plain everything else), and a lot more than is seen around here.

You can also wear it business casual, open neck with a sport coat.

Last edited:

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The tie is Kent Wang's shepherd's check. :slayer:
Totally agree with the equation you have above; the square was the main thing I was unsure of due to it being just a bit much for the occasion.

I wore a Kent Wang shepherd's check tie to my wedding, very good choice :)

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MrChris - that's yesterday's fit with the chinos, right? Because of the chinos, you could have gone without square IMO

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
that is a fine tie fabric but a bad square. See me square thread, which has died out, for a lengthy explanation but something with a much lighter ground and a larger pattern, or else white linen.

MrChris

Reaction score

MrChris - that's yesterday's fit with the chinos, right? Because of the chinos, you could have gone without square IMO

Correct, the bottom half with the galosches was left out since this is the good taste thread :D

that is a fine tie fabric but a bad square. See me square thread, which has died out, for a lengthy explanation but something with a much lighter ground and a larger pattern, or else white linen.

Okay,, I'll check it out.
Yes I was thinking white linen too, but since I wore chinos I thought that would have been inappropriate.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lufty, FWIW, here are some examples of how I have been wearing plaid check shirts.

Now, I read that there's a pink overcheck? It makes it tougher but not impossible. I'd suggest a dark burgundy tie and either grey or navy suit.

Last edited:

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
G, I think of your graph line and tattersall shirts in a completely different context than lufy's PoW. I think they are far more conservative than a pink overlay PoW. Also, as you've demonstrated above, they are far more versatile. Just my thinking.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Lufty, FWIW, here are some examples of how I have been wearing plaid check shirts.
Now, I read that there's a pink overcheck? It makes it tougher but not impossible. I'd suggest a dark burgundy tie and either grey or navy suit.

Dark burgundy tie and navy suit is what I wore last time with this shirt, and I still hated it. I think it's time for us to part.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

G, I think of your graph line and tattersall shirts in a completely different context than lufy's PoW. I think they are far more conservative than a pink overlay PoW. Also, as you've demonstrated above, they are far more versatile. Just my thinking.

yeah, its good that gdl posted those shots because you can see how the tattersalls work in a context that the PoW does not.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Ed, your reactions are almost always priceless. i wonder how you'll react to far worse atrocities in life.
:lol::lol:

I enjoy dishing snark and over the top reactions about, what are at the end of the day, meaningless things :satisfied: Obviously the world won't come to an end because Lufty is wearing that shirt but there will be puppies killed by an omnipresent being, as long as Lufty can live with that ;)

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like it when it's subtle:

0CYWS.jpg

Or in a coarser weave for (more) casual; no pink :).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics