• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whnay.'s good taste thread

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Feel free to DH as much as you want. The regular sheriff returns Monday ...

If this was my thread I would use those fancy DH buttons to move a whole bunch of posts to regular WAYWRN...

It appears you have been give carte blanche to wield the MantonHammer. :slayer:

I'd say the last 1-2 weeks can easily disappear without detriment.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

zeero3

Reaction score
As the groom, I would definitely appreciate comments on the taste of what I'm wearing for my wedding. I'm also interested in comments on if the contrast collar was tastefully done here or if I would be better off going back to my white poplin. I'm a little weary on wearing a silk square for a wedding, but if I do, this is probably the most tasteful one I can find in my extremely limited selection. Light blue boutonniere might cause the look as a whole to be too pale blue? Square change?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
absolutely needs white linen

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As the groom, I would definitely appreciate comments on the taste of what I'm wearing for my wedding. I'm also interested in comments on if the contrast collar was tastefully done here or if I would be better off going back to my white poplin. I'm a little weary on wearing a silk square for a wedding, but if I do, this is probably the most tasteful one I can find in my extremely limited selection. Light blue boutonniere might cause the look as a whole to be too pale blue? Square change?

Vanda shepherd's check tie? :)

It's a nice contrast collar, but IMO, you should go with the white poplin; especially if the tie is the same black and white shepherd's check I'm thinking of.

Also - at the risk of sounding like Foo - why not a cream or off-white silk square? The problem is the fussiness of the square combined with the fussiness of the checked tie. Either go plain, or choose something with a larger pattern. Personally, I'd go plain.

Wedding attire = formal = elegant = simple.

My 2 cents.

zeero3

Reaction score
I was so set on a white linen square until, oddly enough, reading this thread.

zeero3

Reaction score

Vanda shepherd's check tie? :)
It's a nice contrast collar, but IMO, you should go with the white poplin; especially if the tie is the same black and white shepherd's check I'm thinking of.
Also - at the risk of sounding like Foo - why not a cream or off-white silk square? The problem is the fussiness of the square combined with the fussiness of the checked tie. Either go plain, or choose something with a larger pattern. Personally, I'd go plain.
Wedding attire = formal = elegant = simple.
My 2 cents.

The tie is Kent Wang's shepherd's check. :slayer:

Totally agree with the equation you have above; the square was the main thing I was unsure of due to it being just a bit much for the occasion.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As with the Peacock and Casual threads, these more theme-specific threads really need active weeding to be interesting. Otherwise, might as well just have one wayrn thread as we used to. Looking forward to some intensive pruning (or at least spoiler-coding) of fits that don't fit the parameters of the thread when Manton gets back from (?)holiday. (In an ideal world, I'd like to see the same done in the other threads I mentioned too, by their respective thread owners)

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the toughest formats to keep tasteful and/or interesting is Friday biz caz...

IMG00992-20120824-0912m.jpg

IMG00998-20120824-0918m.jpg

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this from today? Isn't it too hot in the year for tweed sport coats?

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not tweed, it's completely unlined and it's in the mid 70s.

So, no.

MrChris

Reaction score

One of the toughest formats to keep tasteful and/or interesting is Friday biz caz...
IMG00992-20120824-0912m.jpg

Details on that fabric please!
I've been on the hunt for a fabric very similar in pattern but a little different in terms of the color, see below, perhaps it's from the same maker?!

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ed can probably add more details about the cloth (he has it too) - I don't remember much about it except that it's an old Woodhouse that was sold on eBay. It has a soft hand, not too heavy, there may be some cashmere in it ?

MrChris

Reaction score

ed can probably add more details about the cloth (he has it too) - I don't remember much about it except that it's an old Woodhouse that was sold on eBay. It has a soft hand, not too heavy, there may be some cashmere in it ?

Thank's, I was told the one in my picture was/is available in an Ariston book, however which book I have no idea.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads