• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whnay.'s good taste thread

no one

Reaction score
no one - disregarding fit issues for a moment, this outfit is "ruined" by both the shirt collar and the tie. Same outfit with a white shirt (or a blue shirt) would undoubtedly be better, even with a striped shirt or a checked shirt... and with another tie even more so
citan - can't get behind that chunky lilac windowpane. Is that a suit or sport coat?
I appreciate your comments. The tie is actually burgundy and has a herringbone self pattern, something which is not apparent in the photograph. I am not certain this helps my case.

I can tell from your posts that my taste (or lack thereof) regarding colour combinations differs drastically from yours. Perhaps I am beyond salvation in that respect. Having said that, I am extremely interested in hearing your comments regarding fit issues. I understand, however, that these are beyond the scope of this thread, which I will not derail any further.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

1) Outfits are often more striking IRL due to details that the camera cannot capture; e.g. The richness of texture or the subtle interplay between different shades of the same colour.

I wondered about this very thing in regards to gdl's first pic. In the image, the fine pattern in the shirt and the weave of the tie combine to look busy and almost vibrational. But the effect might be very different in real life.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something about small checks and grids doesn't photograph well. It was better in real life - but honestly, not my favorite combo either.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

To illustrate, if I were watching David Lauren do a business speech, as he is here, I would be distracted by his contrast collar . . .

- M

I would be more distracted by the sloppiness of the tie knot situation. He needs a thicker tie and to learn how to better tie it.

no one

Reaction score
Everything, in a way, is about perceptual context and agreement.
What is the context (in this case occasion) of your outfit? Business? Dressy occasion?
If so, then the high contrast offered by the collar would be distracting.
The amount of pocket fold showing also competes with the collar in regards to proportion.
Because red is an exciting color, it is a contrasting element to your blue suit.
Add that to the contrast collar, and you've got . . . too much contrast, imo.
To illustrate, if I were watching David Lauren do a business speech, as he is here, I would be distracted by his contrast collar . . .
img415t.jpg

However, I am not distracted by Beckham's, as the context (occasion) is ceremonial. His pocket fold, also in high contrast with his navy jacket, is appropriately proportioned . . . the trifecta of symmetry, proportion, and harmony.
davidbeckhamolympicsups.jpg

Doesn't hurt that he has a designer wife.
- M

Very interesting points. However, I must say I base my outfits on extreme contrast most of the time. I will not argue that this is a tasteful choice. Also, the tie's colour is burgundy--no red tie shall ever find a place in my wardrobe. In fact, everything is darker in real life compared to the photograph. The contrast is less extreme.

The setting was a conference of sorts, but not really business. Imagine it as some kind of an informal gala. Nothing too serious, but there was a business formal/informal dress code nonetheless.

Did you crop the photograph to spare yourself the torture of seeing wide coat shoulders and trousers rumpled by ten hours of dedicated service?

I hope I have answered. It is not my wish to become tiresome.

gdl203 spoilered quoted pics

Last edited by a moderator:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Found another old one. How bad is this?

6c03ae03-0b87-7d0f.jpg

Citan1145

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Citan, my issue with the SC is not the color of the overcheck, but that the vertical is so much more pronounced than the horizontal. Maybe it appears different in person, but every time you wear it, I think you're wearing a vertically striped jacket. And it looks :crazy:

Pictures do not do it justice. The checks come off as equal both vertical and horizontal. I too wish the opposite was true in terms of color in the pix but it does look diff in real life. Flash and other such things exacerbate it.

personally i really like citans jacket, but i tink it is one of those things that is very hard to actually wear.

thanks, it is a bit of a challenge but it turns out ok I think. I am going to try navy pants with it next time and a green knit.

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

extreme contrast

burgundy

informal gala

crop

To me the contrast collar provides enough contrast to an outfit, such that not many more elements are needed.

The burgundy tie - it stands out from the blue suit. Note how Beckham did his more mono-chromatically.

In Beckham's case, my eyes are drawn to his face by the contrast collar. The smidgen of pocket fold provides relief. Even the tie bar mimics the pocket fold, and is appropriately less in scale.

In your photo, I see the collar, the tie, and the pocket fold as major focal points.

Again, my opinion, but any good design has a singular focal point, from where everything else is built.

And everything else either distract or support the focal point.

Perception . . . or in Geezer's words . . .

The issue here is not "what is bad taste?". The issue is how narrow or wide the parameters are of good taste.

LL

davidbeckhamolympicsups.jpg

- M

I cropped only so as to focus on the contrast collar as the focal point . . .

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

^Too many lines for me, stitch. stripes on a suit are a perfect opportunity for dots on a tie.

thanks un, ill try that next time. i think i know which one i will pick. would you say to stick with a white shirt with that suit?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i s - you should consider a wider spread on your shirt collar

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

White shirt should be fine with that suit I think, depending on what tie you choose. For me personally I'm not that big a fan of the spacing on the stripes, but given the suit, white shirt + pindot tie should be a winnar.

the spacing is a bit narrow for me too, but i really do like the suit. the tie i am thinking of is a white/beige number.

i s - you should consider a wider spread on your shirt collar

agreed. that is an old BB shirt that i dont wear any more. all my recent shirts are of a wider spread.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Pictures do not do it justice. The checks come off as equal both vertical and horizontal. I too wish the opposite was true in terms of color in the pix but it does look diff in real life. Flash and other such things exacerbate it.

Look, man. You're not seriously suggesting that it's more important for something to look good "in real life" than it does in a picture, are you? This is the kind of crazy talk that'll get you reported in TransMod and banned if you don't tone it down.

Consider yourself warned, bro.

:D

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Look, man. You're not seriously suggesting that it's more important for something to look good "in real life" than it does in a picture, are you? This is the kind of crazy talk that'll get you reported in TransMod and banned if you don't tone it down.
Consider yourself warned, bro.
:D

What is this crazy talk? Of course it is important for outfits to look good in a picture than in real life, this is SF!!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads