1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Where is your style going?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Superb0bo, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Flame

Flame Well-Known Member

Comfortable ts, slim jeans, old sneakers.

I'm in a minimalizing phase right now.

IMO, if you have a nice face, nice skin and a fit, toned body, classic simple clothes will bring out the best. no need to go overboard and spend on the latest whatever.

Buy almost everything on sale / 1 season ago concept. Fresh graduate salary + living on my own means I can't just max out cards on japanese proxies anymore.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  2. The-Arm

The-Arm Well-Known Member

My style is pretty scattered at the moment....In the last year I've moved further away from the more structured classic Americana mixed with street wear look, towards a looser and layered aesthetic, geared for comfort. I'm still finding it hard to shake my street wear influenced roots though.....baby steps lol.

As for colour pretty much black and grey....it's just find it easier to build a more congruent wardrobe with a limited colour palette.

3. conceptionist

conceptionist Well-Known Member

I'm in the same boat, just like many other newer members here.

I never went fully in on the workwear though. Found SF pretty soon after I started to buy more so I hadn't aquired a full wardrobe. Very thankful for that now.

It really helps if you plan all your purchases. Never pay retail on expensive stuff and only buy basics from brands like Uniqlo. You may find the perfect SS cardigan which you know will sell out instantly on retail, but it's just better to wait if you don't have a lot money. Good pieces can always be found later and coming collections will have just as good/better pieces.

Other than that, it's less colour, buying clothes I know I will wear and letting it take its time.

4. YOLO EMSHI

YOLO EMSHI Well-Known Member

what do people mean when they refer to 'workwear' here?

5. Vantastic

Vantastic Member

Back in early high school I was a rapper so I was wearing baggy 26 Reds, anyone remember them? They just disappeared! Baggy shirts and jackets.
    I'm 26 now and wear casual/ casual "smart" clothes. I've never tried skinny jeans and don't plan to. My fav brand is A&F, they have the comfiest clothes and I guess that would be my style.
    I don't own a suit, if I go out and the weathers right I'll wear jeans, a plain shirt under a button up shirt and a nice jacket. I love grey, navy, black, olive and red colours.

6. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

Denim. Boots. Flannel

7. Lionheart Biker

Lionheart Biker Well-Known Member

At this moment I think most of my stuff is in the streetwear biker section. I´d like to add some more "formal" streetwear to my wardrobe. I only have one blazer and one pair of boots. I think some tailored trousers, one more blazer, more knitwear (a sweater and a cardigan at least) and some side zips would get me closer to where I wanna be right now.

8. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Well-Known Member

Everything must end,

2 people like this.
  9. jeromecd

jeromecd Well-Known Member

That's when designers stop designing or we run out money, whichever comes first.

10. Parker

Parker Well-Known Member

When I think of "workwear" in the SF context it means the Heritage revival: military and hunting inspired stuff, Japanese repro denim, replica army jackets, pea coats, artisanal leather goods, pendleton style shirts, engineer boots, Made in America stuff like oxford shirts from Mercer or Gitman, mocassins from Quoddy, Filson bags, etc. I'd also put designer versions of this stuff like Engineered Garments or Junya Watanabe into this category.

that danlging comma freaks me out!

1 person likes this.
  11. spacepope

spacepope Well-Known Member

It's not that bad, not like I wanna be head-to-toe in CCP. Footwear will be tough but I kinda like this transitional phase and working with what I have.

12. billsayers

billsayers Well-Known Member

My sense of style is lost and I need some inspiration.

Been a huge Dior Homme and MMM fan but I hardly wear them anymore. Recently have been wearing just cheap Uniqlo Oxfords and APC NS with beat up Converse.

Not feeling the Yohji aesthetic and never got into any of the Ann D or Rick O stuff. Hoping Slimane creates magic at YSL.

13. fishbones

fishbones Well-Known Member

I've been on my "jpnz brandz" and Japanese-like aesthetics and their take on classic, simple clothing.
    More of a casual/comfortable style, using a very neutral colour palette and slight details. Clean and put-together even when wearing a t-shirt/ocbd with trousers.

I find myself always drawn to the "goth ninja" aesthetic, and always try my best to keep up with Ann D, Rick, Raf, Damir, etc.. But I don't see myself transitioning into that quite yet. Plus I don't really have the funds!

14. brad-t

brad-t Well-Known Member

I mentioned the phrase "goth ninja" to a starving designer friend of mine who had never heard the term before and she said it was the stupidest thing ever.

15. gettoasty

gettoasty Well-Known Member

Well to be more appropriate, when I think of goth ninja, it is actually referring to "goth tech ninja" whom incorporate more of the technical outerwear / fabrics into an outfit that are black and gray in color shades.

When I think of strictly goth ninja, I understand the reference is to those who post more on SZ but even then, I don't see the actual 'ninja' aspect aside from dressing in black. It should be "tech ninja" because of what historically a ninja is suppose to represent, stealth due in part to its dress attire. More so, its attire has functional abilities much the same as a lot of tech outerwear pieces do whether it be pockets or fabric choice that will adapt to climate; etc.

The term "goth ninja" used more ubiquitously around the forums is just a generalization for those who wear mainly black. IMO it should just be "goth"-wear or the likes. SUFU posters back in the day and a few today dress the actual "goth tech ninja" style that I personally am more keen on.

Also, goth <=> grunge?

RT: I remember reading this fashion book in an UO and on page it was about RO and his take on grunge with glamor. It was called "glunge" or something lol

16. herp

herp Well-Known Member

Well fitting, minimalistic, quality stuff. Color wise mainly black, grey, white and a bit of navy. I prefer to "understate" as I think it works well with how I look.

17. El Argentino

El Argentino Well-Known Member

Have noticed myself leaning towards a lot of maroon as we move into fall. Summer color for me was seafoam green (works amazingly well w/ my complexion).

Feel sorry for those who only navigate white, grey, black. Props to you when it looks good, but otherwise...

18. albeindc

albeindc Well-Known Member

Yeah definitely need some color in your life, don't be afraid to explore the entire color palette!

Definitely working my way back over towards the modern preppy angle, and less of the modern urban style. It just seems more fiitting to my lifestyle.

19. KingJulien

KingJulien Well-Known Member

It's easy to fuck up color but I think it's partially the "SF effect" as well - colors just do not look as good in amateur photography. I bought a bright purple t-shirt for 7 bucks at Marshalls recently that looks amazing with my eyes/skin tone, but that doesn't translate well at all into a photo.

I look terrible in pastels and whatnot which is fine because I hate those colors anyway.

I think hendrix has this problem (colors not translating well into photography) in the WAYWT thread a lot - luckily he's willing to stick to his guns.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  20. fireflygrave

fireflygrave Well-Known Member

Personally, I like using less color because I want to concentrate on the form of the clothes. interestingly shaped clothes don't need color always (and sometimes the color would distract from a cool garment anyway)