• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where is your style going?

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by reedobandito
I think that if one were to pursue an otherwise classic aesthetic (chinos, dark denims, white OCBD's), a single statement piece from one of these brands would be really cool. Unfortunately, I don't have the funds at the moment to actually attempt such sartorial daring IRL
frown.gif

Anyone else sweating these crazy patterns as much as me?

1) Even with 'a single statement piece' that's going to be a boring ass wardrobe. Also what's with the OCBD fetish here? Button down collars are so finicky, oxford cloth is so hot in the summer. 'Dark denims' are still going to look played sooner rather than later.
2) Yes.
2)(cont.) Liberty of London, Kehinde Wiley for Puma, and remaindered sari scarves or Indian wedding shawls (from those 'far off land' type stores with celtic necklaces and ****), are all good ways to get at that **** for cheap.

reedobandito

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Makeshift_Robot
1) Even with 'a single statement piece' that's going to be a boring ass wardrobe. Also what's with the OCBD fetish here? Button down collars are so finicky, oxford cloth is so hot in the summer. 'Dark denims' are still going to look played sooner rather than later.
2) Yes.
2)(cont.) Liberty of London, Kehinde Wiley for Puma, and remaindered sari scarves or Indian wedding shawls (from those 'far off land' type stores with celtic necklaces and ****), are all good ways to get at that **** for cheap.

Really like the KW for Puma collab, especially the crane prints.

I understand how the wardrobe could get a bit stale, but I think finding a personally suitable "uniform" is kind of nice. And to 99.95% of outside observers, they would probably floored with even one piece from the aforementioned brands.

****, looks like I need to plan a shopping trip to Japan.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Ridiculously expensive m2m/bespoke shirts/suits and lusciously indulgent shoes.

Zeemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
moar belgian stuff
and lately i've been buying medium-priced clothes at deep discount, wear it a little, and then i sell it again

tween_spirit

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Actually, as a revision of my previous statement, I've been following high fashion runways and products more closely, and am really loving some of the wilder statement pieces. I'm especially a fan of fair isle/navajo/geometric printing seen in brands like White Mountaineering, Sunny Sports, Junya Watanabe, Ervell, Sidian/Ersatz/Vanes, and so on. I think that if one were to pursue an otherwise classic aesthetic (chinos, dark denims, white OCBD's), a single statement piece from one of these brands would be really cool. Unfortunately, I don't have the funds at the moment to actually attempt such sartorial daring IRL
frown.gif

Anyone else sweating these crazy patterns as much as me?

edit: Found a blog that matches almost perfectly with what I've been looking for, and in the process I've discovered that it's obscure Japanese fashion that I'm really in love with. The site: http://jamesrmcnally.com/

This guy has a great eye and has been my favorite blog for a while now...
blush.gif

reedobandito

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
tween, I spent like 5 hours straight the other night going through the back logs of his site. It's my new favorite fashion blog too, I wonder where he finds all of this stuff.

Incidentally, where can I buy all this stuff?

tween_spirit

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
tween, I spent like 5 hours straight the other night going through the back logs of his site. It's my new favorite fashion blog too, I wonder where he finds all of this stuff. Incidentally, where can I buy all this stuff?
You can email him and ask him where its for sale, but it's just stuff he finds crawling all over the place, but from what I can tell it's typically small Japanese vendors or Rakuten. Note that not everything he posts up is also for sale at the moment. He puts up a lot of stuff from the Nepenthes blog as well, and seems to like Beams. The full seasonal collections he posts all seem to be from this one particular Japanese fashion site that I thought I had bookmarked but can't seem to find anymore on my work computer. But really just email him and ask him about anything, he's super helpful. I asked if he was a proxy for any of this stuff but he's actually in the US

reedobandito

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cool, I'll do that. Have you ever tried Yahoo Japan auctions on Japanese eBay for these things? I'm having a hard time navigating the sites, as my Google translator is a bit ineffective...

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For as much flak as I'm sure to receive for this, I am becoming more and more intrigued by the classic 1950-60's WASPy sort of look. I've been all for muted neutrals over the last few years, but I would love to work in some bright red "**** off" chinos with a lime green tie with little sailboats on it and a camel blazer. Oddest fashion inspiration of all has just occurred to me. Andy Bernard.
Picture+3.png
I guess this is that super-traditional Polo-ish type of look, but to hell with it. I think it can look sharp.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Still need more statement pieces and haven't found my perfect suit. Probably going to try to stay away from expensive shirts for a while and focus on outer layers (knits, coats, maybe get a pair of decently baller pants). FW11 will be a season of splurging for me, it'll be fun

chunkmo

Reaction score
I've only recently began to find my groove, being fairly new to this game and all. Sucked not really having a direction and not knowing where i wanted to go. Right now i'm pretty happy with my current uniform of button down, raws and cp's and recently a lot of TOJ since its getting chilly.

Not exactly sure how it will progress from here, but i do intend on refining this current style a bit more. I expect to be buying more TOJ and probably Margiela/Schneider knits and outwear. Maybe some Lanvin and Dior stuff too.

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by El Argentino
For as much flak as I'm sure to receive for this, I am becoming more and more intrigued by the classic 1950-60's WASPy sort of look. I've been all for muted neutrals over the last few years, but I would love to work in some bright red "**** off" chinos with a lime green tie with little sailboats on it and a camel blazer.

Oddest fashion inspiration of all has just occurred to me. Andy Bernard.

Picture+3.png

I guess this is that super-traditional Polo-ish type of look, but to hell with it. I think it can look sharp.

Two words: Vineyard Vines.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
want to get some higher quality items. i'll probably stick with uniqlo for shirts for a little bit, but I want to get some nicer shoes, a toj, then some trickers boots.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads