• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's wrong with my neck?

the_sulks

Reaction score
Here is the problem. The collar doesn't stay. Collar stays won't help. I guess the cotton of this neck is much too soft, so it doesn't stay as needed. Is there a way to fix it? My tailor says she doesn't fix collars.

Of course I can wear it this way but it is either a nerdy or hipster style.

I tried to use a pin but is so inconvenient to fix a collar with a pin.

Last edited:

SartodiNapoli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the collar is one size bigger or too tall. Also looks a sporty shirt to wear opened.

hrefab

Reaction score
Magnetic collar stays will solve that problem.

the_sulks

Reaction score

I think the collar is one size bigger or too tall. Also looks a sporty shirt to wear opened.

Yes. It is one size big. I assume the only solution is to use the magnetic collar stays which have been mentioned above.

is there a place for collar stays?

Yes yet regular collar stays don't help.

SartodiNapoli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. It is one size big. I assume the only solution is to use the magnetic collar stays which have been mentioned above.
Yes yet regular collar stays don't help.

Never seen or heard about magnetic collars before, I studied shirtmaking and I am very curious about. Any has a pic?

gs77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Never seen  or heard about magnetic collars before, I studied shirtmaking and I am very curious about. Any has a pic?

See picture below. I tried them, it works but looks awkward. The idea is to place collar stay and small magnet that goes between your neck (skin) and shirt. In theory should work like button down collar but without buttons.

Better to just find proper shirt that fits, get one with stiffer placket, collar etc...

stuff_we_love_wurkin_stiffs_magnetic_collar_stays.jpg

SartodiNapoli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
See picture below. I tried them, it works but looks awkward. The idea is to place collar stay and small magnet that goes between your neck (skin) and shirt. In theory should work like button down collar but without buttons.

Better to just find proper shirt that fits, get one with stiffer placket, collar etc...

stuff_we_love_wurkin_stiffs_magnetic_collar_stays.jpg

I am not of the option of carrying magnets that alter the body electricity.

Thanks for the pic, never seen this thing, will send a pic to some shirtmakers friend of mine just to show it.

gs77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am not of the option of carrying magnets that alter the body electricity. 

Thanks for the pic, never seen this thing, will send a pic to some shirtmakers friend of mine just to show it.

Actually hidden button down collar would do the same thing. Unfortunately I nevet came across in RTW space.

As for body electricity, not sure. I didn't glow in the dark :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads