• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to wear to a yacht social?

pendragon

Reaction score
I sell boats and am therefore often on board or at a yc. One of the nice things about them is that no one gives a damn what you wear, so you can follow any of the above advice without going wrong - especially the note about warm / comfortable.

However, I would suggest you tell your gf to wear flat shoes.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd be very careful about following some of the advice given here. Otherwise you may find yourself way overdressed. Some years ago my stepson was a junior member of the Alamitos Bay Yacht Club in Long Beach. They were having some kind of a luncheon party there, and so I dressed in what I thought was a fairly appropriate fashion: blue blazer, gray worsted slacks, open necked blue checked sports shirt, Rockport DressSports. Well, the real yachtsmen there were dressed in a manner that would have warmed the cockles of ol' Cruiser's heart--To a man they were in T-shirts or Aloha shirts, shorts, sandals, ball caps and that sort of garb. It was very obvious that I was NOT a member. In hindsight, maybe I should have gone for the full "Commodore Phony" look--DB blazer, white ducks, navy boat shoes, ascot and yachtsman's cap! (Of course, my wife would have refused to accompany me, justifiably in this case.)

In brief, make exacting inquiries about what sort attire is customary and expected. (Of course, this is a good policy for any social situation.)

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thurstonqt6.jpg

crackup[1].gif
Classic.

FLO

Reaction score
Originally Posted by khaki sack
Do u plan to rock the navy blazer and ,cream trousers, Thurston style?

Like this:

LOL! I need to get a hat like that. Maybe I'll just keep it casual and go like gilligan. Some of you do bring up a good point about being overdressed. I'll ask around to see what everyone else is wearing and go from there. I have a month, so its plenty of time to get something together. But if I hear of anyone else doing the navy blazer and cream trousers, I'm rockin it Thurston Howell style.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLO
LOL! I need to get a hat like that. Maybe I'll just keep it casual and go like gilligan. Some of you do bring up a good point about being overdressed. I'll ask around to see what everyone else is wearing and go from there. I have a month, so its plenty of time to get something together. But if I hear of anyone else doing the navy blazer and cream trousers, I'm rockin it Thurston Howell style.
It's a college thing, if your girlfriend would let you and the environment will allow it (like a theme party with lots of drinking), then go overboard (pun intended). You have time, so if you're allowed, check with some of your male friends who are going and see if they're game to do it too. Get drunk, get stupid, take pictures and have a good time with it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads