• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to Wear for Class Presentation

UTVol085

Reaction score
I have a senior-level international management course that requires us to act like a "highly paid consultants" for a board of directors for a company (our group has Ritz Carlton). The dress is described as professional business casual. The thing is, students at my school can't dress. They think "dressing up" means tucking a polo or button up shirt into a pair of khakis with deck shoes. Sometimes it's almost pitiful how poorly they dress, especially since we're finance and international business majors and many kids at my school have money.

The professor always wears a suit for these things though, and sometimes during class. Would it look bad to wear a three piece, because I don't own any "business casual" clothes like regular khakis or polo shirts and deck shoes. All my clothes are either casual (jeans and t-shirts, etc...) or pretty nice suits, which a consultant would wear during this situation.

What should I do? Drop the waistcoat or the jacket and tie all together?

metaphacts

Reaction score
"The thing is, students at my school can't dress. They think "dressing up" means tucking a polo or button up shirt into a pair of khakis with deck shoes. Sometimes it's almost pitiful how poorly they dress, especially since we're finance and international business majors and many kids at my school have money."

I believe this is due hearing Rocky Top 1,797 times in a 2 hour time frame. It's either that or overexposure to the wrong shade of orange.

nest.gif

cheers.gif

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by overdog
Regular khakis and polos are not business casual, they are casual. Business casual is a dress shirt with or without tie, dress trousers, and sport coat.
Business casual does not mean sportcoat or tie, at least they certainly aren't required anymore.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should one up your professor, so unless he wears a waistcoat I would just wear the jacket and tie. Don't let the other studens make you feel over dressed, they are under dressed and are only jealous because you know more about dressing for the ocasion then they do. Hopeful they will see how nice you look in your suit and will be led by great example.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bowtielover
Don't let the other studens make you feel over dressed, they are under dressed and are only jealous because you know more about dressing for the ocasion then they do.
+1. Wear a tuxedo with huge tails to show those f****rs who's boss!

ms244

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
+1. Wear a tuxedo with huge tails to show those f****rs who's boss!

Don't forget the monocle and the top hat, and possibly a cane if you are in the labor intensive industries.

UTVol085

Reaction score
Don't forget the monocle and the top hat, and possibly a cane if you are in the labor intensive industries.
Reminds me of a piece about the poor on "The Daily Show" where the guy wore a white tie tux with tails.
http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/in...tragically-hip

Haha, I forgot my username obviously alluded to my school! I think it all goes back to high school where kids hated to wear suits, thinking it's funny to wear birkenstock clogs with khakis to "semi-formal" dances.

The prof. did say something to the effect "so on presentation day you all come in with your three piece suits looking sharp and get to feel like an exec", which made me think I'd get another opportunity to wear a suit. Really do like wearing them after buying two custom made ones in Korea a few months back. The best bet may be to convince my team to wear them...

Frrrank

Reaction score
Don't let the other students make you feel over dressed, they are under dressed

I couldn't concur more strongly with BowTieLover. In high school, and later in college, when I was in bow ties daily and suits any time I could come up with even a fraction of an excuse (I would say there were many more days I was IN a suit with my bow ties than not, depending on the temperature and time of year), I felt PROPERLY dressed, never OVERdressed. Even today, in the puked-down standards of "business casual," a grotesquery if ever there was one, I'm in my suits and bow ties, regardless of how many khaki-sporting, polo-shirt-clad philistines with whom I'm required to associate. Frrrank
bigstar[1].gif

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wear the jacket and pants...save the vest for a big date. Be sure to wear a REAL business shirt, not some button-down from The Gap. Wear a smart-looking tie with the proper knot for the collar and shiny black shoes. Get an A.

Canadian

Reaction score
As somebody who's wore professional clothes since freshman year of university, get as dressed up as you can for a presentation without going into formal wear.

You will feel better about yourself if you look good, and professors may let a few minor gaffes slide if they see you put a degree of thought into how you look.

At minimum, a charcoal grey suit is appropriate, probably with a tie.

Canadian

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads