• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What does an EU citizenship get you?

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just trying to figure out what the benefits are. I am grossly uneducated on this topic, as I am on most topics, so please help a ****** out.

I heard about the following:

1) Can work in any EU country without a Visa, making it easier to find employment quickly throughout Europe.

2) Can get an education at an EU school for free/low cost? Is this true? How much would it cost to get an education at such a school if you were not an EU citizen?

3) Anything else, in particular?

Thanks.

Gattopardo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
2) Can get an education at an EU school for free/low cost? Is this true? How much would it cost to get an education at such a school if you were not an EU citizen?

Generally there are residency requirements to fulfill before you qualify for the EU rate. Something like three years out of the previous five in my experience looking at schools in the UK and Ireland, but that's residency anywhere in the EU. Fees depend on the programme of study, especially for postgrad degrees where there can be a lot of variation, but in most cases I think the non-EU rate was roughly double. Like I said, it can vary a lot depending on the school and the degree that you're interested in.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gattopardo
Generally there are residency requirements to fulfill before you qualify for the EU rate. Something like three years out of the previous five in my experience looking at schools in the UK and Ireland, but that's residency anywhere in the EU. Fees depend on the programme of study, especially for postgrad degrees where there can be a lot of variation, but in most cases I think the non-EU rate was roughly double. Like I said, it can vary a lot depending on the school and the degree that you're interested in.

I was mostly asking for my kids, if and when I have them. But thanks for clarifying about the residency requirement - I had no idea about that.

TourbillonTurk.

Reaction score
1) There are some restrictions for certain citizens, i.e. Bulgarian need additional documents to work in the UK. But in general yes, as a EU Citizen you can work anywhere in the EU Zone without a visa. But this being a beneficial factor in finding work easier is debatable!

2) From personal experience yes, one is entitled to free education as a EU citizen depending on the country in question however. For example I did 2 semesters at the University of Vienna for barely no school fees as a EU citizen. Now I´m studying law in the UK and i´m pay 2,800 a term. As a non EU citizen the law program would cost you 9k+.

3) I, being someone who is against the idea of a "Union in Europe" can say the only benefit I find in being an EU citizen (British) is the ability to travel freely in the EU.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is no such thing as EU citizenship.

Each country has it's own issues.

If you're Italian you can get into the health system in Italy very easily. OTOH if I was to move to a different EU country I'd have to find private health insurance. Unless I was working or retired. There is no real residency requirement for Italians and the health system. You'll often see stories of Italians living in the US whose kids can't get health care in the US getting flown over by the consulate . Now that would be means tested but nothing stops a citizen from moving back and entering the system.

There can be tax benefits. Italians living abroad are allowed to own a house in Italy and get the same exemption from property tax (ICI) that those living in the country get. OTOH non Italians would have to pay taxes in the same situation.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was mostly asking for my kids, if and when I have them. But thanks for clarifying about the residency requirement - I had no idea about that.

the residency/work thing is huge

as to educational benifits for your kids, I wouldn't count of the EU having that much money in 20 or 30 years, so things may change

cold war painter

Reaction score
Just trying to figure out what the benefits are. I am grossly uneducated on this topic, as I am on most topics, so please help a ****** out.

I heard about the following:

1) Can work in any EU country without a Visa, making it easier to find employment quickly throughout Europe.

Yes, in theory. In practice if you don't know the local language you're pretty much out of luck. Also regional attitudes may prevail, e.g. associates of mine who spoke fluent French being told in Paris "why should I hire you, a foreigner, when there are French people who need work?"

When I was looking to do my MSc in London, there was a three-year residency requirement prior to starting the course. The foreign fee was something like £12000 p.a., the local fee £3000 p.a.

3) Anything else, in particular?

Military service, in some jurisdictions. IIRC one guy in my class in high school (in Australia) held Spanish citizenship and was called to do his time in the army after graduating, so had to choose between delaying his university entry in Australia by a year or surrendering his Spanish passport.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads