• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do we think of Pier Paolo Pasolini here on SF?

Sesame Seed

Reaction score
Most would immediately identify the name with the most controversial film of all-time- ‘Salo’, but the graphic nature of that film takes precedence over his vision. Some might say that he became mad; hated the world, people, even rejected his homosexual lifestyle. Taking a look at his ‘Trilogy of Life’ (‘The Decameron’, ‘Canterbury Tales’ and ‘Arabian Nights) we see that his vision was yet to be unveiled. The beautiful was made to be murky. The beginnings of this could be seen in ‘Porcile’ (aka ‘Pigpen’) and the son in ‘Momma Romma’ is a little too reminiscent of Christ. The church hated him. The government hated him. He still did what he did. He rejected all forms of bodies and institutions. Ironically, he created perhaps the best representation of Jesus with ‘The Gospel According to St. Matthew’ despite being atheist.

PPP was a writer, poet, playwright, philosopher, painter etc. He was prolific. He was able to create a film world that was sacred in and of itself with no need to look beyond and this made him unique. He added to the organic nature of his films by using actors with little or no experience. His ‘Trilogy of Death’ (starting with ‘Salo’) would have taken us much deeper into this world. He died a martyr.

What are your thoughts on the one and only, Pier Paolo Pasolini? Your thoughts on 'Salo'? Does anyone think he fed us sh!t?

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
I give him the coveted triple P rating and this despite his controversial decision to write the screenplay and direct the sequel to Porkys.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
there is a great Coil song about his life/death called Ostia. Check it out.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Murdered by a rent boy is dying a martyr?

I just saw Teorema.

Not sure what I think of it.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i love him, and i think his best film was his first, accatone. it is my favorite film.

teorema makes more sense if you've read the book, because the film doesn't give you the full story. i have the feeling it was heavily censored.

he also wrote il bell' antonio, which is another of my favorite films.

Cavalier

Reaction score
I find his work very interesting, does any one have any knowledge of his books? Any feedback?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads